Starclippers Mediterranean Cruises

Cortesefam

We are two couples in our early 40's considering a sailing cruise in the Mediterranean next year. The Starclippers itineraries look great, and the idea of sailing on a smaller vessel is appealing. (We cruised with the family in the Med on the Brilliance of the Seas this year, and had a great time, but look to have a different experience).

Would welcome advice and recommendations on any of the three ships that will do Mediterranean cruises next summer, especially counsel on the differences between the cabin categories, time of year (we will travel either in late May or September--yes, while our kids are still in school....) and any "not to be missed" features of these ships.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

• 1 month later...

I am also thinking about a Mediterranen cruise with Star Clipper for 2006. I am particularly interested in either the Clipper or the Flyer since I am primarily looking for a sailing experience. My question is which cruise to take since they all look great including Spain, Corsica/Sardania, the Balkan coast, Greece???

I highly recommend the Rome-Venice cruise on the Royal. I did this last year and loved it. Dubrovnik, Croatia is a wonderful port. If you’ve never been to Rome this is a good chance to spend a few days there before you sail. Star Clippers offers this pre-cruise package which I took and thought it worthwhile. All ports of call were great. This year I was on the Star from Cannes to Corsica, Sardinia, Elbe, etc. It as a fine cruise and I did like the Star a bit more than the Royal but the ports of call last year were much more interesting.

I think the rooms are all pretty much the same in categories B and C. They are smaller on the Star and there is not very much closet space. The Royal had ample closets, at least for me traveling as a single person. With a family of four you, of course, have a problem with closet space in almost any stateroom but you will really be hard pressed on the Star. I recommend a lot of clothes that you can fold and stack. It helps that you don’t need any formal outfits. The Captains dinner is a bit more dressy but casual is fine too.

I traveled in late August and early September and it is hot and humid just about everywhere in the Med. On the Star there were seveal childrem from about age 3 to 12 and they did very well.

The "Don't Miss" I can recommend is the sail away from port. Be on deck. They will raise the sails and play Conquest Of Paradise by Vangelis and it will touch you to your very soul.

One "Do Miss" that I might mention is snorkeling....unless you don't mind seeing very few fish and a few rock formations. But, it's free. Maybe others have had a better snorkeling experience.

Hope you have a wonderful time wherever you decide to go.

Kathie (Trinka)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

There's a whole section on seasickness. But most subscribers have spoken about their experience(s) in the Caribbean. We will be sailing on the Royal Clipper Venice to Rome in September. Can someone tell me what the winds/seas were like on that cruise? We have a 38-ft. sailboat, and I usually suffer a bit when the seas are more than 3 or 4 ft.

Also, can someone let me know which port excursions were great.

Thanks!

Shiela

Archived