Travel insurance

Good Morning! I've just booked a trip on the Freedom of the Seas for October 2016, a very long time from now! I need to purchase travel insurance soon due to a preexisting condition however, with this cruise being so far away our travel plans may change. Can I transfer the travel insurance to an another date if we find it necessary? How about if I cancel altogether? Any other advice is welcomed. Thanks.

I had a similar situation last year. I used SquareMouth, an on-line insurance consolidator. I actually talked to someone on the website phone number, who directed me to look at 3 different companies that would cover me as long as I bought the insurance prior to final payment of the cruise. It was the only time I have ever made a travel insurance claim, and once I presented the final documentation, the claim was quickly paid. I normally buy my insurance when I make the final payment, as I can cancel with no penalty up until then. But if you have also booked airfare separately, you may need to buy it sooner. Good luck.

The answers are varied. It all depends on what you are trying to insure.

The biggest possible expense would be medical issues out of the country and/or medical evacuation. There are companies that will sell an annual policy for that.

If you just insuring the cost of the cruise, that is a different answer, and to be honest more of a gamble than insuring yourself for expenses you can not afford. After all, folks can afford to pay for the cruise - after all, they did book it, right? If you are unable to make the cruise, you do not suffer any extra expense. Actually, you will now spend less than you already budgeted/saved for since no excursions, drinks, etc. You will of course be sad that you did not get to cruise. But, no extra expenses like medical evacuation.

Not saying people should not consider insurance. Just know what you are buying, and not buying.

Good Morning! I've just booked a trip on the Freedom of the Seas for October 2016, a very long time from now! I need to purchase travel insurance soon due to a preexisting condition however, with this cruise being so far away our travel plans may change. Can I transfer the travel insurance to an another date if we find it necessary? How about if I cancel altogether? Any other advice is welcomed. Thanks.

We have been able to change dates on travel insurance, but that might depend on the insurer. Here are some resources for travel insurance:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

You can compare costs, terms, and policies on the following websites :

Re: Transferring to another date you need to speak directly to the Insurance Company to get an accurate answer.

Re: canceling all together. Once the Insurance is purchase you generally have 10 days to review the policy and cancel to get your money back. The exact grave period will be specified in the terms/conditions of the policy. Once that period has past there will be no refunds made if you want to cancel the policy.

Could you not get yearly insurance instead of just for the trip? I presume it would be more expensive but how much more?

Yes, yearly insurance is available. More or less expensive? Hard to say. All depends on the type of coverage you pick. Here is a list of coverage types at Insuremytrip.com (ignore the numbers)

Comprehensive Coverage (37)

Medical (Single-Trip) (9)

Medical (Multi-Trip) (5)

Evacuation (9)

Accidental Death (24/7) (1)

Accidental Death (Flight) (3)

Embassy Visa (2)

All Inclusive (0)

Trip Cancellation Only (0)

Coverage

Trip Cancellation (38)

Cancel for Any Reason (15)