Breeze vs. Sunshine

gkrnjlr

This past January I went on the Breeze with my friend and LOVED every single thing about it. (Including Matt, the CD.) I can't put my finger on one thing - it was just a great ship. So....for this upcoming Thanksgiving I want to take the family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) on a cruise.

Is the Sunshine extremely similar to the Breeze? Or are there a lot of differences where I'd regret not booking the Breeze to enjoy with the family? We just don't want to feel as if we are "settling".

We like both itineraries - so that's not a selling point.

Any input would be welcome! Thanks!

I think that the Sunshine and the Breeze are very similar and there are some things on the Sunshine that aren't on the Breeze. For Example, JiJi Asian Kitchen, Havanna Bar, 3-Deck Serenity, Alchemy Bar (I Think), and an AWESOME 4J interior room that has a window and pseudo-balcony! But, the Breeze is bigger so there is a lot more space for the people to roam around, and it's said to have slightly better reviews, but by like 1-2%. So i think that if you want more amenities, go with the Sunshine; but if you want more space, go with the Breeze.

Hi Everyone! I am new to CC and have never cruised before. Our kids are 8 & 9, and we want to take them on a cruise in the fall. We haven't decided on an exact date, but sometime between September-end of the year (that's what works with our work schedules). After doing some research, it looked like the Sunshine was our best bet. However, after reading some reviews here, it looks the Breeze might also be a strong contender.

What is important to me on a ship is: fun stuff for the kids to do, lots of dining choices, ease of getting around and how crowded it is. I've read that the Sunshine is very crowded, but the Breeze has a little more room to move around. I'm pretty set on a balcony room (unless anyone has any good reasons to pick something different). So I'm asking for advice from those of you who have cruised before (preferrably with kids), would you pick the Sunshine or the Breeze? Why?

Thanks in advance and I'm really excited to learn from you all!

We haven't decided on an exact date, but sometime between September-end of the year (that's what works with our work schedules). After doing some research, it looked like the Sunshine was our best bet. However, after reading some reviews here, it looks the Breeze might also be a strong contender.

Breeze is the newest ship on Carnival (a few years old). It has by far the most options for dining and activities of all the ships.

I and my wife cruised on the Sunshine when it was still the Carnival Destiny. The Destiny was the largest ship in the world when it was first built, now it doesn't even make the top 10. Carnival did a unique refurbishment to the Destiny and added more cabins and public spaces; hence the name change to Sunshine.

Breeze is a lot bigger than the Sunshine and that is why people might get the feeling of being crowded on the Sunshine.

Just way to many poor reviews of the sunshine. Rust, wet carpets, buckets catching drips, crowded, etc...

Some hard core supporters love the ship but very soon after some research the Breeze came out as the better choice for us.

CC reviews are at 73% for Breeze and 62% for sunshine FWTW>

Thanks hirent! It looks like they're pretty comparable, at least according to Carnival's website. It appears as though they have all the same kids activities, which is good to know. I've read so many articles that declare the Sunshine the best ship for families, so I'm just curious what advantages it has over the Breeze since I can't seem to find any huge differences.

I have sailed both and had a great time on both ships. However, for your situation and things you've listed as important, I would say go with the Breeze. Sunshine wasn't crowded to me until sea days, at which point I felt it was very crowded. Sunshine had a few more restaurants than Breeze, Breeze had better pools. Both have ropes course and waterworks.

Either way you go you'll have a great cruise. Bon voyage!

Reviews seem to be far more critical of the sunshine.

CC reviews have the Breeze at 73% like vs 62% for sunshine

Yep and thankfully I don't go by reviews especially from this site. I would have missed out on great vacations on the Sunshine.

Op if the Sunshine fits your plans better don't hesitate to book her. Of course if not, you can't go wrong with the Breeze either.

Edited by Podna's

Just way to many poor reviews of the sunshine. Rust, wet carpets, buckets catching drips, crowded, >

Well good news from someone who has sailed her twice. None of these problems existed on our cruises. The crowding thing was definitely over rated. As someone else said, it was crowded on sea days but not anymore than my other cruises. The Serenity deck(s) on the Sunshine were 2nd to none also.

Wow great info from everyone!

For the new cruiser....I say go with the Breeze only because I know you will NOT regret it. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to book the Sunshine. My concern is that if I book the Sunshine and we end up getting the buckets outside our cabin or something else - I'll be reminding myself the entire cruise "we should've booked the Breeze."

I'm thinking that we're going to lean towards the Breeze for Thanksgiving and just hope the price comes down. It's about $1000 more than the Sunshine.

Thanks for all the input!

• 1 month later...
This past January I went on the Breeze with my friend and LOVED every single thing about it. (Including Matt, the CD.) I can't put my finger on one thing - it was just a great ship. So....for this upcoming Thanksgiving I want to take the family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) on a cruise.

Is the Sunshine extremely similar to the Breeze? Or are there a lot of differences where I'd regret not booking the Breeze to enjoy with the family? We just don't want to feel as if we are "settling".

We like both itineraries - so that's not a selling point.

Any input would be welcome! Thanks!

If you go to Carnival's website and click on EXPLORE and then SHIPS, there is a compare option which will show exactly what differences there are for the ships.

That being said, I am sailing on the Breeze for the first time Jan 2, 2016, and have completed a cruise on the Sunshine for Christmas in 2013. I had no complaints about the Sunshine and didn't see any buckets in the hallways. The only negative was that a few of the meal choices in the Dining room weren't the greatest. It was also the first time we chose the 'anytime dining' and I don't think that we would do that again. If you went early there could be a wait of 30-60 minutes,seemed more disorganized, and didn't like having a different wait staff every meal. We had our kids with us (age 10 and 15 at the time) and they loved the ship and the activities aboard.

Good Luck!

Edited by Nyx7979

I was on the transatlantic cruise on the Breeze and in 2013 I did the transatlantic on the Sunshine. To me the Breeze is a far superior ship--no comparison. The Breeze was brand new in 2012, whereas the Sunshine was built in 1995 and refurbished in 2013. It's a 20 year old ship. There were some very nice refurbishments, but in the original cabins very little was done and they have the feel of an older ship. When the new cabins were added they decreased the amount of public space, making it seem crowded. I would choose the Breeze over the Sunshine even if the Breeze cost considerably more.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I sailed on the Sunshine in January and the Breeze in May. IMHO, the Breeze is far superior. In fact, my favorite ship out of 18 cruises and the Sunshine ranked nearly last on my list. If money isn't an issue, choose the Breeze...you wont regret it!

Hi Everyone! I am new to CC and have never cruised before. Our kids are 8 & 9, and we want to take them on a cruise in the fall. We haven't decided on an exact date, but sometime between September-end of the year (that's what works with our work schedules). After doing some research, it looked like the Sunshine was our best bet. However, after reading some reviews here, it looks the Breeze might also be a strong contender.

What is important to me on a ship is: fun stuff for the kids to do, lots of dining choices, ease of getting around and how crowded it is. I've read that the Sunshine is very crowded, but the Breeze has a little more room to move around. I'm pretty set on a balcony room (unless anyone has any good reasons to pick something different). So I'm asking for advice from those of you who have cruised before (preferrably with kids), would you pick the Sunshine or the Breeze? Why?

Thanks in advance and I'm really excited to learn from you all!

Being a 1st time cruiser, I would probably say take Sunshine 1st, and then go to the larger Breeze for your next cruise. But really either way. Your 1st cruise will be a blast on either or any other. You are going to have the time of your life. Balconies are great. You will enjoy that. Happy cruising and welcome to the cruise world.

Being a 1st time cruiser, I would probably say take Sunshine 1st, and then go to the larger Breeze for your next cruise. But really either way. Your 1st cruise will be a blast on either or any other. You are going to have the time of your life. Balconies are great. You will enjoy that. Happy cruising and welcome to the cruise world.

Agree - if you start with Breeze it may be difficult to "go back"! But whatever fits your schedule will be fine. The balcony thing really depends on whether you're going to spend time on it which can be a function of 1. Personal preference 2. Number of ports (and whether you'll enjoy the balcony view when arriving or departing from the port) 3. Number of guests in room (regular balcony cabins come with two chairs on the balcony, it's not a big enough space for more than 2-3 people to sit). The opinions on cabin types vary widely, the only way you'll know is by cruising and seeing what you enjoy.

You'll have a great time on either ship in any type of cabin.

Having done both Breeze and Sunshine recently I would vote Breeze. Loved the Breeeze but didn't like the fact that there was no adult only pool. Loved the Sunshine adult pool but ship seemed very crowded to me and poor flow. I had a great cruise on both but Breeze definitely won me over the sunshine. Be aware if booking balcony on Breeze you do not want the 6 floor unless all the way aft because of the deck 5 promenade there is no privacy and you will be looking down on everyone and the deck. We had deck 8 near aft in march and had no problems but am in deck 6 in two weeks because i had booked awhile ago not ever giving the deck 5 promenade a thought but we are far enough back it shouldn't be that bad. Have a fun trip no matter which you choose.

• 4 months later...

I was on the Sunshine in March with my family and this Thanksgiving will be my first time on the Breeze. My biggest complaint about the Sunshine is the flow. I believe there are only 2 floors where you can walk from the front to the back of the ship without having to go up and down a flight of stairs. Confusing:confused:. Still had a wonderful time but being a long time cruiser it took me the longest time to become accustomed to this ship. It became frustrating at times. Hope this helps.

I have sailed both and would either again. Actually just did the Sunshine in sept and booked her again for Nov. The breeze (imho) is newer nicer... The Sunshine was also nice and the service was fantastic! I did see some leaks on deck 7. Obviously not bad enough from preventing me to book her again! The breeze has the newer menu but both menus are good. Do I think the breeze is worth $1000 more? No. I'd rather spend the $ on excursions or new vaca clothes.:) If its your first cruise u prob wouldn't notice any "flaws" the sunshine may have. Hope this helps! Have fun!!!