Legend has Noro!

so I heard on the radio this morning that both this ship and the carnival ship are getting their full cleanings today at the same port?

I would assume then that this was spread around at the port somehow and taken onto both the ships that caused the outbreaks...

random thought....

I would be thankful though that the deep clean is happening right before I board.

We got off the Legend today. We were notified of an outbreak of GI illness on 10 April, our prior port of call was Puerto Quetzal on 8 April (so two days of sailing for it to start spreading). There was also a LOT of coughing..uncovered. I know at least one person was diagnosed with flu, but my cabin mate came down with something on Day 5 that was not flu (they can do an onboard flu test). Remember this was over Spring/Easter break so a lot of people traveling.

We got a questionnaire asking where we ate in Guatemala and Costa Rica, so they must be trying to find a source there.

There was a couple downstairs as we were waiting to disembark, bragging about how they were sick but decided to treat themselves with meds they had, so they wouldn't need to be quarantined. And people wonder why it's so hard to control outbreaks. We also saw people refusing the mandatory handcleaning.

Fortunately neither of us got the GI thing but I think I'm now coming down with the cough. At least it didn't ruin my cruise.

And there were plenty of extra lobster tails in the main dining room.

Edited by mlgb

If singing helps when washing our hands, how about we sing something to pass on the message.

I put forward this suggestion. Tune "you're the one that I want"

We’ve got germs, they're multiplying,

But I’m taking control.

Soaps the power, I’m applying

It’s Exterminating.

You better wash up

Cause we need clean hands

And the ship depends on you

You better wash up

You’d better understand

To us all you must be true

Noro’s left

Noro’s left, now up to you.

Repeat

:)

Just awesome!

You seriously think over 100 people got noro because they were not hygienic?

They got it because they were too hygienic. If you don't have regular exposure to noro, you lose your immunity in about 2 to 6 months. If you constantly sanitize for the 2 months prior to the cruise, you'll likely board the ship with no immunity. That's a recipe for getting sick!

The only protection that works against noro is to have a strong immune system. The only way to have a strong immune system is to have constant exposure to the virus.

So before the cruise, stop sterilizing your hands and your environment. Let your immune system develop and you won't have a problem aboard, even if other people bring it on to the ship.

So go ahead and grab that doorknob, shopping cart handle, and escalator railing. You'll be keeping your immunity strong so that you can relax and enjoy your next cruise.

Once aboard, it's good practice to wash and use the hand sanitizers. If you have a healthy immune system, small amounts of the virus should not cause a problem, and if there is an outbreak, washing will help reduce the viral exposure.

They got it because they were too hygienic. If you don't have regular exposure to noro, you lose your immunity in about 2 to 6 months. If you constantly sanitize for the 2 months prior to the cruise, you'll likely board the ship with no immunity. That's a recipe for getting sick!

The only protection that works against noro is to have a strong immune system. The only way to have a strong immune system is to have constant exposure to the virus.

So before the cruise, stop sterilizing your hands and your environment. Let your immune system develop and you won't have a problem aboard, even if other people bring it on to the ship.

So go ahead and grab that doorknob, shopping cart handle, and escalator railing. You'll be keeping your immunity strong so that you can relax and enjoy your next cruise.

Once aboard, it's good practice to wash and use the hand sanitizers. If you have a healthy immune system, small amounts of the virus should not cause a problem, and if there is an outbreak, washing will help reduce the viral exposure.

Mostly but not entirely correct... Immunity to norovirus is believed to last 2 to 6 months based on studies conducted back in the 70's, but it is now believed that immunity can last as long as 4 years. However there are different types of norovirus and immunity would only be to the one particular strain that the person was exposed to. It is also believed that a person's genes can dictate their susceptibility to noroviruses. I would not rely on immunity as a form of protection.

Maybe off topic. But I did the 23andMe DNA test before the FDA shut down their health analysis. They still do genetic genealogy. Anyway, my results said I was less susceptible to norovirus. Or perhaps it was another type of GI bug. I'd have to log in and check. But it seems to be right on, because I can only think of a couple of times when I got a stomach virus. So there's the genetic component to catching viruses like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I can't believe anyone would try to give this advice. :eek:

WASH YOUR HANDS. USE THE SANITIZERS.

For the benefit of everyone else, please be hygienic.

Setting Sail For Fun,

I became sick soon after returning home from a cruise in 2008. My Dr labeled it noro. She put me on antibiotics with instructions to drink a lot of liquids (mainly water). It was not a pleasant experience. I was confined to my house for a couple of days.

I am a bit of a 'germaphobe' as my husband calls it. I am a religious hand washer and open bathroom doors with paper towels after washing hands and exiting. Even my over the top diligence did not stop me from getting a little sick. STUFF (insert another word here if you'd like :)) HAPPENS!

These are some other thing I now do while cruising or vacationing since then: 1) I spray down all surfaces in the cabin or hotel room before getting settled with a disinfecting spray ( tabletops, phone, bathroom surfaces, toilet,... everything) 2) Even though there are studies that claim vitamins are useless, I still take them daily and especially while on vacation. 3) I try to get in some form of exercise daily that really gets the heart pumping as exercise strengthens the immune system 4) This one is obvious but I stay away from people that are coughing or exhibiting signs of illness. 5) Laugh and have as much fun as possible (another immune booster)

But, it did not diminish the fact that I had a blast during my vacation cruise that year.

Edited by Blasian

We received a call & email notification that boarding will be delayed Tuesday due to "gastrointestinal illness." I'm thinking the ship will be nice & clean so as long as we're careful, we should be fine. DH thinks that sounds too easy.

I'm sure some of you have been through this. I'd appreciate your thoughts & suggestions............

Our experience with noro was not a good one although neither my wife or I got it.

The cruise before ours had noro and we were late boarding due to them thoroughly cleaning the ship which is understandable.

Our 7 day cruise never made a port of call and was ordered by the CDC back to FLL. We wound up with a 5 day cruise to nowhere instead of a 7 day cruise to Aruba and Curacao.

So don't get a false sense of security that because the ship was thoroughly scrubbed you'll be fine. Take necessary precautions as others have suggested.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, incident free.:)

Bill

Setting Sail For Fun,

I became sick soon after returning home from a cruise in 2008. My Dr labeled it noro. She put me on antibiotics with instructions to drink a lot of liquids (mainly water). It was not a pleasant experience. I was confined to my house for a couple of days.

I am a bit of a 'germaphobe' as my husband calls it. I am a religious hand washer and open bathroom doors with paper towels after washing hands and exiting. Even my over the top diligence did not stop me from getting a little sick. STUFF (insert another word here if you'd like :)) HAPPENS!

These are some other thing I now do while cruising or vacationing since then: 1) I spray down all surfaces in the cabin or hotel room before getting settled with a disinfecting spray ( tabletops, phone, bathroom surfaces, toilet,... everything) 2) Even though there are studies that claim vitamins are useless, I still take them daily and especially while on vacation. 3) I try to get in some form of exercise daily that really gets the heart pumping as exercise strengthens the immune system 4) This one is obvious but I stay away from people that are coughing or exhibiting signs of illness. 5) Laugh and have as much fun as possible (another immune booster)

But, it did not diminish the fact that I had a blast during my vacation cruise that year.

Sounds like excellent advise! We had a great cruise also. No Noro but we came home with a cold/cough type thing. I heard others on the ship with it also. Just feeling better now. We live near Wash DC and many others have the same thing here! Take care and thanks for sharing.

Debbie

ROFLMAO --- LOL but in all honesty, you must be kidding in some of what you are suggesting.

Rather the suggestion should be -- pre-cruise, STAY as HEALTHY as you can with a good diet, good vitamins, maybe a little extra Vitamin C (it never hurts) and maybe a little chicken soup should be consumed -- it can't hurt either.

Maybe also hang some garlic around your neck in cheesecloth.....if it could keep anything 'bad away' lets try it!

Edited by Paulette3028

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been on the Radiance of the Seas, and I have a very Low immune system. I was very serious about washing my hands all the time and using the antibacterial lotions. I didnt get sick and others did!:eek: So I would have to say the best advice I was given was 'Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands" My DH only got sick on the last day as others did on this thread and he has really copped it. It hasnt ruined our cruise plans, but we do take away lessons from that cruise.

Cheers :D

Just be prepared. We were on the March 29 sailing of the Quantum. They had noro on the cruise before us. We thought the same thing that the ship would be more than clean. We were not able to board until 1:00 pm instead of 11:00 am. The rooms were not ready until 7:30 at night which meant we had to carry our carry ons with us including our dinner at The Grande. Then they continue to use a cleaning product around the ship for most of the cruise.

It left a white film on the tables. My husband has a seizure disorder but he had 2 severe seizures onboard and 5 in the next couple of days at home( he usually has 1 per week but not so severe). After getting the name of the cleaning product from RCCL and talking to the chemical company, we were told there was a small chance of a neurological problem. I think the fact that we stayed on the ship for most of the cruise, the constant cleaning and the fact that this sailing had a large group of new trainees caused my husband to experience the seizures. We know of other people that we meet that also had reactions (swollen eyes, coughing, skin rashes) on our sailing. Everyone is different. What helps one person medically can cause a problem with another person. We will be more cautious in the future