What happened to Serenade? It's stopped.

I am currently aboard the Norwegian Dawn, we passed her between Venice and Triumph about 45 min ago on our way back to New Orleans. She did not appear to be moving. I thought perhaps it was a maneuver to allow us to pass? It is pointed upstream and I expected it to turn around after we passed, but when I lost sight of it a few miles upstream it had not turned. Marinetraffic app shows it as 0 kts.

My wife is onboard & I just talked to her. They are stopped due to a large cargo ship stalled about 5 miles down river. They've been anchored now for several hours. At night it was unsafe to attempt to pass. Captain announced a few minutes ago that the pilot had boarded and they would be lifting the anchor in about 30 minutes. It's foggy now, but Captain said once past the stalled tanker it would be clear as they proceeded. As far as the itinerary, today & Monday are sea days. They are due in Grand Cayman Tuesday at 7am. This delay will cause them to arrive 1 hour late.

Any change & I'll post.

My wife is onboard & I just talked to her. They are stopped due to a large cargo ship stalled about 5 miles down river. They've been anchored now for several hours. At night it was unsafe to attempt to pass. Captain announced a few minutes ago that the pilot had boarded and they would be lifting the anchor in about 30 minutes. It's foggy now, but Captain said once past the stalled tanker it would be clear as they proceeded. As far as the itinerary, today & Monday are sea days. They are due in Grand Cayman Tuesday at 7am. This delay will cause them to arrive 1 hour late.

Any change & I'll post.

Better to handle it safely and arrive a little late. Then all the screaming will begin if it impacts anyone's shore excursions -- how silly, but it will happen anyway.

Wow. Bad luck with river traffic. We just got off the Serenade yesterday, and we were an hour late arriving into New Orleans, because of some kind of incident near the mouth of the river that was slowing traffic coming in and out.

We've been anchored since about midnight - have an aft cabin and my DH was on balcony and commented he thought we'd stopped. Figured it was just temporary but we have the same view this morning. I count four ships behind us all presumably wanting to get out to sea. My DH thinks someone willbe in trouble as this holdup is costing all these ships a lot of money! Are underway now and will arrive in Grand Cayman on time.

It's been in the same spot now for over 8 hours. It left New Orleans yesterday and sailed 75 miles down the river before it turned around and stopped.

If a large ship is stalled in the river it must be one of the ones that Marine Traffic shows anchored near the west bank.

Strange that the Carnival Dream and the Norwegian Dawn were able to maneuver past it and up the river this morning with no problems but that the Serenade couldn't get past it.

We've been anchored since about midnight - have an aft cabin and my DH was on balcony and commented he thought we'd stopped. Figured it was just temporary but we have the same view this morning. I count four ships behind us all presumably wanting to get out to sea. My DH thinks someone willbe in trouble as this holdup is costing all these ships a lot of money! Are underway now and will arrive in Grand Cayman on time.

Thanks for the accurate information. Some were saying the ship was out in the Gulf and had returned to New Orleans. I guess a lot of assumptions out there without any valid information.

Even though you are delayed departing, a side note is that it must be interesting being a part of this scenario. Wow 4 ships behind you. Wish I was on board to experience this different kind of thing happening.

Glad you are underway and wishing you a great cruise. From what I am seeing a one way to Boston. Great ports and a great ship. Cheers to you both. Have fun, I know you will.

Actually not quite underway - went by what the latest announcement said. Still not moving. Turns out it was a barge stuck and couldn't safely get past in the dark plus the fog was rolling. There are ships ahead of us as well so I'm presuming we must all wait our turn to get going. Maybe someone who understands how marine traffic on the Mississippi works can explain how ships could get in but we could not get out. Anyway it is all an adventure and I'm on vacation!

Actually not quite underway - went by what the latest announcement said. Still not moving. Turns out it was a barge stuck and couldn't safely get past in the dark plus the fog was rolling. There are ships ahead of us as well so I'm presuming we must all wait our turn to get going. Maybe someone who understands how marine traffic on the Mississippi works can explain how ships could get in but we could not get out. Anyway it is all an adventure and I'm on vacation!

And the best part is that you will get to sail down the last 20 miles of the river and into the gulf during daylight which is something that many of us have always wanted to do.

Yep an adventure, I agree. Cheers.

And the best part is that you will get to sail down the last 20 miles of the river and into the gulf during daylight which is something that many of us have always wanted to do.

Sounds way cool. Daytime is good to experience something most will not get to enjoy. Still wish I were there. Of course. Enjoy. Nice story to share when you get back home. Yes.

This is cool - Captain just announced that the four tugboats trying to move the barge out of the way are having some troubles so they may need to call in more tugboats! Wish I could watch the whole operation as I love tugboats! So will be here a few more hours.

Edited by scoutleooz

This is cool - Captain just announced that the four tugboats trying to move the barge out of the way are having some troubles so they may need to call in more tugboats! Wish I could watch the whole operation as I love tugboats! So will be here a few more hours.

Now I am really wanting to be on board. Sounds exciting. And no matter if you are still or moving, you are on a cruise ship, so what more could you ask for? Thanks again for sharing your experience. I appreciate the info' and the updates. Beautiful ship and an amazing itinerary too. Happy sailing.

I'm on board as well. It does beat working, although I'd rather be heading towards GC at full speed. At least the fog lifted. It was pea soup early this morning. Almost time for the meet and mingle though, so let the good times roll :-D