POA port questions

Obsessedwithplanning

For "shore." I know recently something happened at Pearl Harbor no guidebook could have kept up with. Isn't it great that books are no longer the only things I can use to plan a vacation?

Yes .. as I mentioned in my post above, "You can easily fill in the blanks with recent changes via a google search."

We have been planning a POA cruise this summer as well. We have not actually been there yet so I am answering based on my findings....

1) Kalapaki Beach in Kauai is walking distance. There is another small beach by the pier in Kona.

2) and 4) Renting a car is our transportation of choice. We have already made arrangements on almost every island. It seems to be the best way to see exactly what you want to see.

3) Paradise Cove, Germaine's, and Chief's Luau are what seems to be most widely mentioned. We plan to attend Paradise Cove.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Notion_of_the_Ocean

Just as a word of caution, while Kalapaki beach is in walking distance, be advised that the park immediately adjacent to the pier in Nawiliwili, and on the route to Kalapaki, called Nawiliwili park, is a very dangerous spot after dark. It is a favorite of POA crew for barbeques, but crew have been beaten and raped there. During the day, it is fine, just stay away after dark. This is the only place in the islands that we ever had problems with crime.

Of course I plan to get some books out of the library. Just saying it is important to have a combination of library and purchased books because no matter where you go, some information will change from year to year. I will not buy all 30.

You can get some FREE, up-to-date guide books from the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau; Go Hawaii.

Our family of four were on POA last August. We are not really a beach family. We rented a car on Kauai (booked ahead of time). Shuttle was easy to get to airport for pick up. We were able to drive the entire island in one day. We drove north in the morning, making some photo stops at Wailua (twin falls), national wildlife refuge, stopped at the dry caves, came back to Kapa'a for lunch, then went the other way. We stopped at Poipu beach for an hour or two (snorkelling was better here than on our actual snorkel excursion in Kona). Saw green sea turtle and monk seal. Stopped at Spouting horn (pretty cool only for a few minutes), then continued our drive to the canyon. ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE DRIVE HERE! It was a wow moment for me. We spent some time there and then drove back to the airport, returned the car and caught the shuttle back to the ship. A long day, but the best of the cruise! I highly recommend taking a GPS or adding it to your car rental. The whole day was about $150 total.