New Alaskan cruiser

Thecat3902

My husband and I are looking to cruise Alaska June 2016. We are so confused over which itinerary to choose. I was looking at southbound in the Ncl sun and it hits Hubbard glacier and sawyer glacier. I am also looking at the star princess that goes to glacier bay and college fjord. Rcl radiance if the seas hits Hubbard glacier both on a north and south bound. The pearl on Ncl also does glacier bay round trip from Seattle. So my question is which are the mist sea glaciers? They all seem to hit Juneau Skagway and Ketchikan so what are the best tours to do. Any advice would be great

Thanks

I would hope none of the cruise ships "hit Hubbard or Sawyer Glacier", could get messy! :D

We enjoyed our cruise Seattle return, so many tours at each port - really depends what you are interested in and what type of $ you are comfy with - tours can be pricey, especially any to do with whale watching, dog sledding, bear watching or flights.

On our last Alaskan cruise we had a day of scenic cruising Glacier Bay which was lovely.

This year we are doing our Alaskan cruise from Vancouver for 10 nights, can't wait.

You will have fun doing your research for what cruise ships suits you best, which itinerary suits you best, and the tours available, and which month suits you.

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise - it is an amazing destination.

Since I booked my cruise, I've seen that some of the Glacier Bay ships from NCL and one other cruise line (can't remember which) have the option of taking an excursion in a catamaran EN ROUTE to Juneau for a side trip to Tracy Arm (Sawyer). Of course, the cruise we booked is too early for that -- shoot! It's something to keep in mind with the notion that even if you opt for Glacier Bay, you may have an option so you don't miss out on Sawyer.

I loved College Fjords from pictures, but note that they can also be done as a pre-cruise excursion, via the Phillips 26 Glacier cruise that leaves out of Whittier (no affil).

Hubbard is a different story of course. I don't know if you can see it any other way but through a direct cruise. However, if you get to see the others, maybe it's okay to miss Hubbard. I defer to others for that opinion ;-).

Since I booked my cruise, I've seen that some of the Glacier Bay ships from NCL and one other cruise line (can't remember which) have the option of taking an excursion in a catamaran EN ROUTE to Juneau for a side trip to Tracy Arm (Sawyer). Of course, the cruise we booked is too early for that -- shoot! It's something to keep in mind with the notion that even if you opt for Glacier Bay, you may have an option so you don't miss out on Sawyer..

HAL and Princess offer the mid-ocean Tracy Arm excursions...

Logistically, you need to be heading North into Juneau.

Information above is not clear.

IF you want to see the "most" glaciers, then choosing Glacier Bay and College Fjords will give you the MOST numbers. College fjords is better seen via cruise ship since they sail, usually all the way up closer to the Harvard Glacier. It is NOT the same, as mentioned above with Phillips, for College Fjords. IF you want a better experience- then absolutely adding on a Prince William Sound boat tour is the way to go- with taking a Princess cruise.

As for Tracy Arm- all the cruise lines offer an add on ship excursion, which is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier HAS to be on the itinerary.

The NCL Pearl has the option to add on a round trip Juneau tour to Tracy Arm. IF you have an early port time- 7am and at least 12 hours in port, can do Adventure Bound. There also could be to an option, independent to take a shortened tour, operated by Major Marine. BUT with any "shorter" tour- this means, less time for wildlife.

My wife and I are Alaska bound in July. We've done all the itineraries for all the major lines. HAL has a seven day out of Vancouver to Anchorage and return that is neat. Northbound it stops at Haines, an unspoiled piece of pure Alaska. Southbound it stops at Skagway. Skagway has one advantage. Rent a car (much cheaper than train or bus) and drive into Canada. The drive is easy and pleasant. There is only one road so even I cannot get lost. The best itinerary is HAL's 14 day circuit that includes every major port except Haines.