Please help with Guaranty upgrade

Jay Sam

Booked NCL Sky 27th April last Friday, so 17 days before departure. We did the GTY, inside cabin. Yesterday I noticed we had a cabin assigned, 2 weeks before sailing.

After the cabin has been assigned, is there no chance or very little chance for them to upgrade us to a better cabin? As it is right now we are on deck 4. Usually we just book and get a cabin that we choose. Agency said we may as well try the GTY, and who knows maybe get something better. There were a lot of cabins available at the time so we thought maybe a fiarly good chance for something better.

Also deck 4, Biscayne deck, seems to be about a third of the length of the ship. Anybody stayed on that deck before?

Thanks for any information. Looking forward to the cruise. Four nights and 3 ports.

I just checked on ncl.com, and I see that an oceanview stateroom on that particular sailing is only $20 p.p. more than the inside staterooms, so why not purchase an upgrade? An on top of that get more included amenities because of the current promotion (because oceanview is a "higher cabin class" than an inside)? Seems to me that you would actually save money in total, by purchasing an upgrade, because of the amenities you can choose from. Just sayin'.... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Thanks for much for your helpful reply. So does the oceanview give benefits that the inside does not? Thanks again.

Yes, they do (you have more choices to choose from). Take a look here, the turquoise spots shows the perks you can choose from:

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/4-day-bahamas-round-trip-miami-SKY4MIAFPONASNPIMIA/Dates/April-2015?numberOfGuests=4294915774&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseTour=1&state=null&pageSize=5&sailmonths=4294936762&cruise=1&sortBy=Featured&cruiseHotelAir=1&ships=4294963192&currentPage=1&&itineraryCode=SKY4MIAFPONASNPIMIA

Awesome and I thank you for the suggestion.

By the way, I love Norway. A great land and wonderful people. I have been to your great country twice.

Thank you for your kind words - just happy to help! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Booked NCL Sky 27th April last Friday, so 17 days before departure. We did the GTY, inside cabin. Yesterday I noticed we had a cabin assigned, 2 weeks before sailing.

After the cabin has been assigned, is there no chance or very little chance for them to upgrade us to a better cabin? As it is right now we are on deck 4. Usually we just book and get a cabin that we choose. Agency said we may as well try the GTY, and who knows maybe get something better. There were a lot of cabins available at the time so we thought maybe a fiarly good chance for something better.

Also deck 4, Biscayne deck, seems to be about a third of the length of the ship. Anybody stayed on that deck before?

Thanks for any information. Looking forward to the cruise. Four nights and 3 ports.

I would Wait and Watch price's two or three time's a day for a price drop .

You can sometimes buy a real good upgrade " cheap " late in the game .

Where do you check price changes? Cost to upgrade? Is it on the NCL site?

Yes, you just go to ncl.com, choose the ship and date you are interested in, and just check the online prices there, the prices may vary from day to day (some times they go up, other times down, it is all based on demand). At least that is the way I do it..... The price for an upgrade would be the difference between what you have already paid and the current price on the higher category. At least that is the way it works if you have purchased it through NCL in the US, it might be different "rules" if the cruise is booked through NCL Europe. But normally an upgrade is without any extra fees, except the price difference between what you have already paid and the current price. If it is after the final payment date, you can only do this by upgrading to a higher category cabin.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Yes, you just go to ncl.com, choose the ship and date you are interested in, and just check the online prices there, the prices may vary from day to day (some times they go up, other times down, it is all based on demand). At least that is the way I do it..... The price for an upgrade would be the difference between what you have already paid and the current price on the higher category. At least that is the way it works if you have purchased it through NCL in the US, it might be different "rules" if the cruise is booked through NCL Europe. But normally an upgrade is without any extra fees, except the price difference between what you have already paid and the current price. If it is after the final payment date, you can only do this by upgrading to a higher category cabin.

One thing to keep in mind is that the NCL website is fairly flawed. When you pull up a sailing and look at the initial pricing and availability, it may or may not actually be available when you go through the booking process. It's a bit deceiving on the part of NCL, and I'm not sure if it's just a technical flaw or done on purpose. Many times when you click on the category you want to book that initially shows available, you go to complete the booking and only then do you find out it's not available and you get an error message.

One thing to keep in mind is that the NCL website is fairly flawed. When you pull up a sailing and look at the initial pricing and availability, it may or may not actually be available when you go through the booking process. It's a bit deceiving on the part of NCL, and I'm not sure if it's just a technical flaw or done on purpose. Many times when you click on the category you want to book that initially shows available, you go to complete the booking and only then do you find out it's not available and you get an error message.

I sure agree with that NCL's site is flawed. Had trouble pulling up a deck plan on their site last night. Kept getting an X, so couldn't display their plans. Ended up getting the deck plans on the CC site. Not user friendly as the others lines are.

I might be wrong but I think upgrading does not entitle you to the extra booking perks like UBP etc. unless you cancel your current booking and rebook under the new terms and conditions. This is what I had to do but fortunately I was only at deposit stage.

Otherwise people could just book an inside and then wait until nearer their cruise date and upgrade and get the offer.

Great. I will keep checking. Although I have the UBP and don't want to lose that...

Yes, some times you just have to count the pro's and con's, you might be able to do a bargain. Or you might find out that you are good where you are already... :)

I might be wrong but I think upgrading does not entitle you to the extra booking perks like UBP etc. unless you cancel your current booking and rebook under the new terms and conditions. This is what I had to do but fortunately I was only at deposit stage.

Otherwise people could just book an inside and then wait until nearer their cruise date and upgrade and get the offer.

Not true. When paying for an upgrade you can get whatever promotions were offered for the type of cabin you are upgrading to at the time you booked your cruise. Since the OP just booked, the promotions they could get are what are being offered now. So paying to upgrade WOULD get them the choice of UBP, UDP, shore excursion credit or stateroom grats. That's how it is in the US, Europe might be different.

Edited by AlaskaAtLast