Handicapped Cabin Assignment

Schrinky

I made my final payment on Saturday for 6/27 Jewel. They sent me the confirmation and I noticed I had a cabin assignment, which I did not expect. I checked and it was a handicapped cabin. This seemed strange, why would they assign a handicapped cabin 75 days out? I called NCL and they said I had requested a handicapped cabin and reserved a wheelchair! I booked directly with NCL, have sailed with them in the past and did not have a handicapped cabin, and did not request one. I'm concerned that somehow my reservation got mixed up with someone who really needs the cabin, not sure how that would happen but not sure how it happened to me.

They would not change us, they said we were assigned that cabin and after that cabins cannot be changed.

It sounds like the person you spoke to did not know what they were talking about. I assume you booked a guarantee cabin and got your assignment, which was the handicapped room. NCL does release these cabins for general booking at some point and if you want to keep it, nothing wrong with that. We have been offered them in the past when calling to book.

You can call back to ask for a supervisor if you want just to make sure they did not get you mixed up with someone else. You can ask for a standard cabin if you wish. If they intended to give you this cabin, they will probably just try to dissuade you. If it were me, I'd probably just keep it and enjoy the extra space.

If you are worried you'll be "bumped" by someone who needs this cabin later, don't be. Anecdotal reports here indicate that "rarely" someone is asked to accommodate someone else by moving. And in those rare cases, you would get the same type cabin or an upgrade, but the choice to move is yours. No reports of anyone who was moved from a balcony to an inside cabin against their will.

I made my final payment on Saturday for 6/27 Jewel. They sent me the confirmation and I noticed I had a cabin assignment, which I did not expect. I checked and it was a handicapped cabin. This seemed strange, why would they assign a handicapped cabin 75 days out? I called NCL and they said I had requested a handicapped cabin and reserved a wheelchair! I booked directly with NCL, have sailed with them in the past and did not have a handicapped cabin, and did not request one. I'm concerned that somehow my reservation got mixed up with someone who really needs the cabin, not sure how that would happen but not sure how it happened to me.

Just wait....depending on how full the cruise is, you might be upgraded closer to the sail date (under 2 weeks). We booked a handicapped suite for my elderly Mom who needed one. NCL called me 3 or 4 times trying to see if we would switch cabins to a regular cabin. We refused. we needed the walk in shower for her and the added space. The cabins are big and roomy and people will book them for the added space even though they don't need the walk in shower etc. So if you are patient, you may get a nice surprise, even if you don't the added room is very nice.