Restaurants in Anchorage and Talkeetna

GORDONCHICK

The wildflower cafe in Talkeetna is a wonderful restaurant. The chef is not only a former Iditarod musher, but was a White house chef in the Bush administration...The food is excellent...

I love the Wildflower Cafe! I hope to make it back during our cruise tour the end of this month.

• 2 weeks later...
Another good place...not fancy at all and cheap is Peggy's across from Merril field. Don't think anything on the menu is over $10.00 and great pies. They are known for their pies. Like I said, a totally local place,,probably would never find a tourist in their but the fish is fresh and the food is good...

Funny you should say this! We drove by Peggy's 3 or 4 times and DH saw "chicken fried steak" on their menu, so we had to go. I had the halibut, which was delish (crusted in panko). DH and DS had the chicken fried steak and though it was good. I also had the key lime pie - which was good, but I wish they'd hold back on the green food coloring. Just a drop or two would do it.

We found a great place in Anchorage that was a true gem! It's called the Downtown Grill. Very modern and sleek décor, good service and excellent food. I had the mac & cheese with crab and it was divine and HUGE - enough for 2 adult servings. DH had the ribs and they were really good. DS wasn't super hungry so he had the kids' chicken strips. I would highly recommend this place for dinner. They are packed like sardines at lunch time because of their location.

We ate at Mile High Pizza Pie in Talkeetna because pizza sounded good at the time. It's very small, tables are family style (meaning you'll probably have to share) and few tables inside. Outside has more seating, but when we were there, it was cold and raining so we waited to sit inside. The pizza was very tasty.

Edited by GORDONCHICK