Santo Tomas, Guatemala

Zeno

Wondering the same thing. Looks likea lot of the higher end cruises do stop there. Some reviews have commented on the amazing beaches in the area. Easy flights to Tikal (cost?).

We're probably going to move from the Jan 21st cruise to the Jan 28th cruise so that we can do the Western Sun itinerary.

Check these threads out....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=93545&highlight=santo+tomas

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=117466&highlight=santo+tomas

Not very promising with regards to safety issues off the ship from the tone of these posts. Does anyone know if the travel advisory and security situation has changed???

7_3_1v.gif 7_3_130.gif

According to the State Department website, the travel advisory for Guatemala expires on November 3. This still doesn't make me feel better about being able to travel safely while on our Christmas cruise on the Veendam. We were hoping to do a shore excursion to see some of the mayan ruins, but now I just don't know. what do others think about this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for info and links snorkelhead. I am hoping there are some nice beaches nearby. I would love to see Tikal but I am sure the flight cost would be prohibative. I am not overly concerned about safety issues - since they usually seem to be exaggerated but I do think this is a port where if possible I will take one of the ship's excursions. I am hoping NCL comes out with them soon.

The feds say their "advisory" ends Nov. 3 - hah - tell the locals... But forget the feds, they're knowledge has helped those blankety blank N'Orleans folk plenty - right. Just keep low key, and go - you'll be fine...

The fear mongering feds... they'll be putting out an advisory on your neighborhood soon enough.

Spent time in Guatemala... the Feds - not to mention everyone else - may have blown it in NO, but Guatemala is a safety hazard.

Banks, businesses, hotels and even the local McDonalds had guards armed with machine guns who gave you a pass to park. You had to give it back before they would let you out.

This port may be and probably is safe, but after spending 6 weeks there learning the language and traveling, the travel advisory is a wise thing.

It is a very beautiful country with lovely people. If their ever changing gov't could get it together, it would become a mecca for tourism.

• 1 month later...

We are booking the Sun for next year and I saw this port of call. I came here looking for info.. Not much on the net.. As a matter of fact, after reading all the warnings about security, I am not too comfortable about even going there..

My hubby loves to snorkel but I can't find any info on beaches.

When those of you going to this port return, please come back and tell us how it is and what you did..

Archived