Viking Star - V1 Cabin Category and internet access restrictions

DianeLikesToTravel

I'm on the Sept. 3 portion Venice to Barcelona. When I signed up free wifi was included. When I looked at the website last week they state that my cabin category has restrictions. My TA looked into this and reported back that I would get 50 megabytes for free. Not sure if that's 50 per day or 50 for the cruise. I could upgraded for $9.50 for the entire cruise, not per day. That sounded strange, so I called Viking and the woman had to get back with me as she didn't have answers. She sent me an email stating that it would be a $9.50 charge per day. I feel disappointed as they offered something else when I put down my money. I'm wondering if anyone on the ship now in a standard cabin can share with me what their situation is. Thanks.

When I booked our cruise the literature stated free wi-fi. When I contacted Viking about the change this is the reply I received:

When the preliminary brochures offering this cruise tour were printed the restrictions were not all known, we reserve the right to update and change the written materials describing the amenities and or the itinerary at any time. We still are offering what we promised which is complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the entire vessel, but this amenity is only complimentary for higher booked staterooms. The lower staterooms will have the same amenities available, but at an additional cost, like an optional tour, or other optional items not included in the cost of the cruise tour. We can advise that while in port all staterooms will offer free Wi-Fi and the speed should be reasonable to cruise the internet in ease whereas on the river it was often an issue as the connection was unstable.

In other words, they can do whatever they want and they did.

Thank you for replying to my post. I'm still not clear what the rules are regarding internet access for V1 cabins. I wish they would figure out what they are doing with this and make it public.

Diana LTT,the room amenties for V1, on the Viking Ocean website state Wi-Fi (subject to certain usage policies)

As I mentioned under the Cruise Critic sponsored Live on Board thread, currently internet access has been left wide open while the ship's technology is being worked on. What the current passengers are experiencing will not LIKELY be the bandwidth and usage allowance later passengers will experience.

It seems ironic that Viking touts itself as the throwback cruise line trying to restore ocean sailing where the destinations were the emphasis, yet they tell passengers who deem internet access important that the "free interent" offering will be best experienced when in port. So do they think you should be ashore or online?

Edited by algaes

I posted on another thread about the dining issues. When we booked 2 years ago we were under the impression that there would not be any fixed dining times...and our travel agent was still under that impression a couple of months ago, never having been informed by Viking that there was a change.

If we had known there would be fixed dining times (and no separate space for non fixed dining) and that we couldn't make any reservations at any restaurant but would have to wait in line we would have booked a higher class of stateroom.

Someone also mentioned that we wont have a room fridge....I am still trying to find out about that.

I am reading the reviews as the maiden voyage progresses....I am still hoping it will all work out.....We have to eat early and I must say I am apprehensive.....the most apprehensive we have ever been on any cruise.

Cassandra,

We are in a V2 cabin and we have a minifridge. It will be stocked with your choice of soft drinks at the beginning of the cruise, but not after that, unless you want to pay. You can bring your own beverages on board w/o an issue.

We have eaten in The Restaurant 3 nights now and have had no issues with being seated promptly (we are a party of 4).

Becki

Edited by rjscott

That would be a plus to be able to bring on your own beverages! Your own wine or vodka and

gin too! Love going into grocery stores from other countries:D

Keep an eye out if others have brought on alcohol without it being confiscated and report back!

Lahlah,

Let me amend my previous post. When I referred to "beverages", I meant, you may bring on wine and soft drinks. Hard liquor I'm not sure about. If I'm able to get a definite answer on that for you, I'll post it.

Becki