From Getaway to Gem?

gpgirl

We just sailed the Getaway with our 3 children and had an amazing time!! Great ship with lots to do and now we are planning our next NCL cruise.

My DH definitely wants to be in the Haven on our next cruise and I want to visit more Caribbean islands. Which leads us to the NCL Gem sailing out of San Juan.

It offers the Haven for my DH and the ports of call that I am interested in! However, will we be somewhat disappointed going from the Getaway to the Gem. The Getaway had some amazing features, waterslides, ropes course, etc. and I am a little concerned about enough for us to do on board the ship?

We just booked the Gem out of San Jaun for next Dec. We have 2 kids and 4

young adults going with us. There looks like there is a rock climbing wall, a water

slide, and bowling on board. There is also only 1 sea day so I'm not too worried

about keeping them entertained.:)

There is huge difference, especially with kids. We went from the Breakaway to the Gem.

Breakaway/Getaway

newer

younger crowd

3 water slides

ropes course

new style video arcade

pub style O'Sheehans with games

club style venues

more restaurants

spice h2o

Gem:

worn

older crowd

1 old water slide

a rock wall

dated video arcade

O'Sheehans is just a restaurant

no clubs, just a strip of bars

Spinnaker lounge

The Gem is a great ship, it just lacks the flare and activities for a younger crowd or families. Many ports will help this though. We love both. When we are by ourselves(my wife and I) we like the Gem. When we are with others or have kids along, we like the Breakaway.

There is huge difference, especially with kids. We went from the Breakaway to the Gem.

Breakaway/Getaway

newer

younger crowd

3 water slides

ropes course

new style video arcade

pub style O'Sheehans with games

club style venues

more restaurants

spice h2o

Gem:

worn

older crowd

1 old water slide

a rock wall

dated video arcade

O'Sheehans is just a restaurant

no clubs, just a strip of bars

Spinnaker lounge

The Gem is a great ship, it just lacks the flare and activities for a younger crowd or families. Many ports will help this though. We love both. When we are by ourselves(my wife and I) we like the Gem. When we are with others or have kids along, we like the Breakaway.

Thank you for the comparison! I am hoping with only 1 sea day on the itinerary we are looking at will help the kids to not be bored. Kinda feel like we are spoiled a bit since sailing the Getaway!

We went from the Breakaway to the Pearl and were extremely disappointed. The Breakaway class has so much more to offer and surprisingly we felt more crowded on the Pearl especially in the pool and buffet area.

We just sailed the Getaway with our 3 children and had an amazing time!! Great ship with lots to do and now we are planning our next NCL cruise.

We've only ever sailed on the Gem, so my kids have no basis for comparison. That said, they are now 15, 9 and 6 and each one has had a blast on two nine day Gem cruises, and two 7 day Gem cruises - all of which included 4 sea days. We are booking another 10 day with no hesitation for 2016.

The kids and teen clubs were great, and they found lots to do. I never once heard "I'm bored" or anything similar.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

Be aware the water slide on the Gem is EXTREMELY slow going. If you're bigger than a five year old, you have to scoot all the way down. It's a bit sad.

That being said, we sailed the BA in the spring last year and followed it with the Gem late summer. The kids had a great time on the Gem, as did we. My 13yo daughter was gone most of the day with the kids she met at the teen club. My BFs 6 yo son was happy to go to the kids club or the arcade. They both enjoyed the pool, bowling, the sports court, etc. Absolutely no complaints from them!

Be aware the water slide on the Gem is EXTREMELY slow going. If you're bigger than a five year old, you have to scoot all the way down. It's a bit sad.

That being said, we sailed the BA in the spring last year and followed it with the Gem late summer. The kids had a great time on the Gem, as did we. My 13yo daughter was gone most of the day with the kids she met at the teen club. My BFs 6 yo son was happy to go to the kids club or the arcade. They both enjoyed the pool, bowling, the sports court, etc. Absolutely no complaints from them!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think it may help a bit that we are planning on a room in the Haven on the Gem. We were only in connecting inside cabins on the Getaway (still had a blast).

I think your disappointment will be in the Haven itself.

The Haven on the Gem is very nice but doesn't compare to the Getaway Haven. I haven't been on the Getaway but stayed in Haven on Breakaway

I preferred my one bedroom Haven cabin on the gem than the one on the Breakaway(same configuration as Getaway).

The gem Haven one bedroom is two separate rooms with bath and huge shower that have windows to watch to sea. The BA was one room and the bathroom was smaller and no window

Either way a Haven vacation is heaven

Enjoy!!

I think your disappointment will be in the Haven itself.

The Haven on the Gem is very nice but doesn't compare to the Getaway Haven. I haven't been on the Getaway but stayed in Haven on Breakaway

I preferred my one bedroom Haven cabin on the gem than the one on the Breakaway(same configuration as Getaway).

The gem Haven one bedroom is two separate rooms with bath and huge shower that have windows to watch to sea. The BA was one room and the bathroom was smaller and no window

Either way a Haven vacation is heaven

Enjoy!!

Just to clarify....you think that we will be disappointed in the Haven on either ship or on the Gem in particular? Just clarifying. ;) I assumed that the Haven would have the same "perks" and configuration but from what you are describing it might vary from ship to ship?

We did the Epic Haven last year and the Liberty of the Seas this year and guess what? Boys (age 13 and 15) say best cruise was the NCL Dawn and Sun! For us, its all about the friends they meet and those huge ships just intimidates them plus they could never get near the rock wall, slides, sports court, etc. We cruise to be together. Cant wait to go on the Gem next February. If we need slides and arcades, we go to an amusement park :)

Edited by 2boyzmom

Just to clarify....you think that we will be disappointed in the Haven on either ship or on the Gem in particular? Just clarifying. ;) I assumed that the Haven would have the same "perks" and configuration but from what you are describing it might vary from ship to ship?

Look for YouTube videos of the Gem's Haven. The Jewel class ships are all a bit different in their Havens and seem to be quite different from the larger Epic or Away class ships. Their is also no exclusive restaurant in the Gem or other Jewel class Havens, although you do get private access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I don't believe you have a private bar/lounge either.

You will still get keycard access to the Haven area, access to a private sun deck, butler, concierge and all the other perks, though. You WILL be spoiled, so be prepared! [emoji4]