Just a thought about...UDP "aka" Booze pkg

lovecruising62

Ok, so we are booked and very excited to get on board in the next 3 weeks. We were lucky to get the UDP (Unlimited Drink Package) as a freebie (Nice! And helped make the decision). I also enjoy having a bottle of my favorite Gin in the cabin and have paid for that privilege with other cruise lines, because even thou I had purchased the UDP there also - I still enjoy having a fresh Ice cold drink that I make while getting ready or to sip on the balcony...I just drink these in the cabin, no reason to lug a drink around when I can walk up and order the DOD or something that is different and try new things or whatever I feel like at the time.

So...my understanding is that I cannot bring my own bottle on board BUT will I be able to purchase one on board (at the Duty Free Shop, not the $70 a liter Bon Voyage type purchase) and will I be allowed to bring and consume in my cabin? Will I be able to bring my own on board? They are not losing on the deal as I already have unlimited drinks, I just enjoy the choice to make my own...no lost revenue for them? Same with wine, $15 corkage fee per bottle at the pier but yet we can order a $10.00 glass all day long.

Thoughts anyone...

There is no "Unlimited Drink Package" - there is only Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) and Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP). :)

So...my understanding is that I cannot bring my own bottle on board BUT will I be able to purchase one on board (at the Duty Free Shop, not the $70 a liter Bon Voyage type purchase) and will I be allowed to bring and consume in my cabin? Will I be able to bring my own on board?

No, you can't purchase from the duty free shop to consume it onboard and no, you are not allowed to bring any other alcoholic beverages for onboard consumption except wine by paying the corkage fee.

While I can understand the rationale behind your remark about them not losing any revenue if you have yuor own in the cabin, the package is not designed to benefit you in anyway, only the cruise line - so what would be beneficial to you plays no part in this.

Edited by Demonyte

I stand corrected - Ultimate BEVERAGE package...Thank you...guess its been a long day!

Seems I can't edit it now...

If you really want it changed, you could "Triangle" your first post and ask the mods to change it for you. (Triangle is at top right of each post.) I had to do that when Norwegian added an extra day at the beginning of our cruise so the RC date was no longer correct.

Edited by peg013

Your only option for drinks in the room is to purchase a bar set up. You choose your bottle and you will get your choice of mixers to go with it. The bottles are very pricey, but some feel it is worth it for the convenience and it works out to be less per drink than buying individual drinks in the bar.

You can order in advance or from a bartender once you board the ship. I believe the 18% gratuity is added if you buy at the bar, but not if pre ordered.

Anything purchased in the liquor store is held for you and returned the night before disembark.

I agree with the others; a duty free bottle is not available to be consumed in cabin. The bar set up is designed for your purpose, though I suppose a motivated soul with a clean empty bottle and a funnel could bring bring shots from the bar back to the cabin to store for later consumption.

I was having that same thought, since we will have the UDP on our cruise in January - if we go on a wine tasting excursion and want to purchase a bottle of wine at that time to bring back to the ship, it seems the cruise line should appreciate that and not charge the corkage fee.

I was having that same thought, since we will have the UDP on our cruise in January - if we go on a wine tasting excursion and want to purchase a bottle of wine at that time to bring back to the ship, it seems the cruise line should appreciate that and not charge the corkage fee.

Why would they appreciate that? They want you to buy their alcohol not someone elses. ;)

Why would they appreciate that? They want you to buy their alcohol not someone elses. ;)

Because it would be one less drink I'd get using the UBP (which is part of the promotion NCL gave to us) - saving them money.

Because it would be one less drink I'd get using the UBP (which is part of the promotion NCL gave to us) - saving them money.

Sure, it would save them a bit of alcohol if you spent money for a bottle for your cabin rather than you drinking the same in a bar. Perhaps they consider your very presence in a bar a plus, outweighing in part the marginal cost of the booze. Or perhaps if somebody handed off or shared that bottle with another guest who did not have the drink package, the line might lose drink sales by letting you buy a cheap bottle for the cabin. Or perhaps, over time, the package might evolve in the direction you desire.

Ok, so we are booked and very excited to get on board in the next 3 weeks. We were lucky to get the UDP (Unlimited Drink Package) as a freebie (Nice! And helped make the decision). I also enjoy having a bottle of my favorite Gin in the cabin and have paid for that privilege with other cruise lines, because even thou I had purchased the UDP there also - I still enjoy having a fresh Ice cold drink that I make while getting ready or to sip on the balcony...I just drink these in the cabin, no reason to lug a drink around when I can walk up and order the DOD or something that is different and try new things or whatever I feel like at the time.

So...my understanding is that I cannot bring my own bottle on board BUT will I be able to purchase one on board (at the Duty Free Shop, not the $70 a liter Bon Voyage type purchase) and will I be allowed to bring and consume in my cabin? Will I be able to bring my own on board? They are not losing on the deal as I already have unlimited drinks, I just enjoy the choice to make my own...no lost revenue for them? Same with wine, $15 corkage fee per bottle at the pier but yet we can order a $10.00 glass all day long.

Thoughts anyone...

Look up "Rum Runners." Pack it in your check bag and you will have no issue getting your own Gin on board. They work perfectly.

6&8

That one shot of alcohol is way cheap for them and they can make much more on bottles of wine and/or corkage.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Friends of ours were recently on the Gem (in Jan/Feb) and were able to buy bottles of Fireball Whiskey from the bar. They had asked for shots and the bartender told them that they were also allowed to buy the whole bottle and then take it with them, shot glasses and all. This was not a one time thing, they bought a few bottles throughout the cruise. The bartender even gives you a shot pouring cap and puts the bottle on ice in a beer bucket! :eek:

JoAnn - I cannot imagine desiring to drink that much fireball (!!) but I'm glad your friends were able to get a bottle and enjoy their experience. I'm sure the bartender was glad as well as he did not have to pour all the individual shots.

You can order a shot of your favorite gin at a bar with your UBP, have the bartender put it in a high ball, then take it back to your cabin for your drink. Just a thought.

Bring a couple cans of club soda or seltzer from home.

Its not sneaking booze on board, and it allows you to take advantage of your package.

Here's a link to a drink menu picture I found on these boards. It shows that you can buy a 1.5 oz shot of call liquor for $6.95 or the whole bottle for $86 and premium is $7.95 or $99. With us having the UBP, we'll just got one shot at a time. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29j9ot842319mrb/Page%201.jpg?dl=0

Correction: The ship was Epic and it was the end of January. They were just on Gem for Easter. They cruise so much I can't keep up with where/when/on what.

Edited by ncklhaus
Needed to be accurate

Perfect pictures!

It's nice to know that you don't have to get the bar setup anymore.

The bar set up involved a small initial fee. Buying from the bar itself will incur an 18% gratuity charge. I am not sure if the 18% auto gratuity now applies to the bar set up as well. Would be a good thing to know for anyone interested in buying bottles on the ship.

Rochelle