New Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical for Allure?

I have noticed that a new entertainment option has been added to the Cruise Planner for our 4th June Rome departure aboard Allure of the Seas. It is titled "Tell Me on a Sunday". I am guessing that this may be replacing Chicago and Mamma Mia for an interim period post-dry dock until Mamma Mia is ready to commence on Allure.

For me, this is showing as available for several of the same times as the Headliner. I have just booked it for my family and cancelled and re-booked the Headliner for a different night - No problem there.

The description says:

A one-act song cycle, it tells the story of an ordinary English girl from Muswell Hill, who journeys to the United States in search of love. Her romantic misadventures begin in New York City, lead her to Hollywood, and eventually take her back to Manhattan. Tell Me on a Sunday is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Don Black.

It is not a new show, in the sense that it is not original for the ship, It's been out for awhile (premiered in 1979). It is a rather obscure show though. It was not one of Andrew's biggest hits so I'm surprised its coming to the ship because it doesn't have much name recognition like cats, hairspray, or mama mia. It does have some great music though. It also did just have a revival in 2014 and a tour of the UK before that so maybe that is why they are using it.

I have noticed that a new entertainment option has been added to the Cruise Planner for our 4th June Rome departure aboard Allure of the Seas. It is titled "Tell Me on a Sunday". I am guessing that this may be replacing Chicago and Mamma Mia for an interim period post-dry dock until Mamma Mia is ready to commence on Allure.

For me, this is showing as available for several of the same times as the Headliner. I have just booked it for my family and cancelled and re-booked the Headliner for a different night - No problem there.

The description says:

A one-act song cycle, it tells the story of an ordinary English girl from Muswell Hill, who journeys to the United States in search of love. Her romantic misadventures begin in New York City, lead her to Hollywood, and eventually take her back to Manhattan. Tell Me on a Sunday is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Don Black.

What day is it scheduled? You board during our Rome stop and hoping to get a booking

The description says:

This to me seems strange.

What are the sets, costumes, props etc. that are needed for this show. I just have a hard time believing that Royal would spend that kind of money to put a feature show on a ship for a few weeks.

Is Mamma Mia really coming to Allure or will this be the new show instead and maybe Mamma Mia will go elsewhere like Harmony or Ovation?

Or will this show be permanently on the ship in addition to Mamma Mia?

Could the IT dept have listed the show incorrectly and this show is really for another ship?

Time will tell.

This to me seems strange.

What are the sets, costumes, props etc. that are needed for this show. I just have a hard time believing that Royal would spend that kind of money to put a feature show on a ship for a few weeks.

Is Mamma Mia really coming to Allure or will this be the new show instead and maybe Mamma Mia will go elsewhere like Harmony or Ovation?

Or will this show be permanently on the ship in addition to Mamma Mia?

Could the IT dept have listed the show incorrectly and this show is really for another ship?

Time will tell.

Contrary to popular belief, shows can be performed without sets and costumes.

Contrary to popular belief, shows can be performed without sets and costumes.

I realize that, but would they? That also begs the question...If they can find another group of performers and give them the time to train and put this show on then why could they not do the same with Mamma Mia.

It just seems like a lot of effort for such a very short time.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

What day is it scheduled? You board during our Rome stop and hoping to get a booking

The show is scheduled for Day 4 (8pm) and Day 5 (9pm and 11pm) of our cruise commencing in Rome on 4th June.

I did a bit of googling and it looks like this show has very few performers and is relatively simple in terms of setup. I suspect that this is a clever choice in terms of bringing on board a show that would only run for a short duration and not require major resources in terms of fitting out the stage and performer rehearsals relative to a major production like Mamma Mia. Show duration is listed as 50 minutes.

The show is scheduled for Day 4 (8pm) and Day 5 (9pm and 11pm) of our cruise commencing in Rome on 4th June.

I did a bit of googling and it looks like this show has very few performers and is relatively simple in terms of setup. I suspect that this is a clever choice in terms of bringing on board a show that would only run for a short duration and not require major resources in terms of fitting out the stage and performer rehearsals relative to a major production like Mamma Mia. Show duration is listed as 50 minutes.

Thanks

Makes a bit more sense now. Not much different than a headliner show that they just contracted for an extended period of time.

Yup, just got on ours and it's available Days 1-3 which is before you board so it happens on the Barclona>Rome part of the trip. Like you, booked in and moved the headliner to a different day!

It's a one-woman show, the most well-known song from it is the title song

(Chorus is Take that look off your face / I can see through your smile). It also has "The Unexpected Song", a beautiful song but a very hard sing.

Minimal set and props, so it would make sense as a "filler" between large-scale shows

I'm rather jealous; I'm boarding 28-Jun at Barcelona and so far there is no Broadway show listed for us.

Edited by hamacting

We board June 21st & no Broadway for us either

I'm not long off the phone with RCI customer services. They told me that cruises on the Allure starting 21-Jun will have Mama Mia; the booking system will only go live much closer to the cruise and there will be facilities to book onboard too (the chap suggested that this is unusual).

So, we should both get to see Mama Mia. I confess I would have preferred either of the other two, but Mama Mia should still be a good evening out!

Seems like "Tell Me on a Sunday" was on Adventure of the Seas last year.

Wouldn't both this and the headliner be in the Amber Theater? Seems something is not right since you said they are both available for booking at the same time some nights.

Tell Me On A Sunday is a favourite of mine. Its a one woman show following the dating trials and tribulations of one woman. There are some great songs in that show however it all depends on the performer. Ive seen it three times. Twice they have been excellent and once below par. Its a low cost option for a cruise line given the cast consists of 1 person!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We saw Tell Me On a Sunday last year on a European cruise on the Adventure. I think it may have only been done on our sailing, but I'm not sure about that. It is a one woman show and it starred Kerry Ellis who is very well known in the West End. The set is very minimal and I don't think there were any costume changes. This show was performed on Broadway too, but was part of a show called Song and Dance - this was one act of the show and the second act was all Dance.

We saw Tell Me On a Sunday last year on a European cruise on the Adventure. I think it may have only been done on our sailing, but I'm not sure about that. It is a one woman show and it starred Kerry Ellis who is very well known in the West End. The set is very minimal and I don't think there were any costume changes. This show was performed on Broadway too, but was part of a show called Song and Dance - this was one act of the show and the second act was all Dance.

Kerry Ellis has done lots of west end shows including Wicked. Whilst Tell Me On A Sunday was the first act to Song and Dance more recently its been performed as a stand alond show. I would be very happy to see it on a cruise.

So as others have asked, its still possible that Mama Mia will not leave, but will be joined by this new show?:)

Whilst Tell Me On A Sunday was the first act to Song and Dance more recently its been performed as a stand alond show. I would be very happy to see it on a cruise.

It actually *started* life as a "stand alone show" and then later was combined into another one-act piece, to form "Song and Dance."

As noted in another comment, a couple of the songs -- Tell Me on A Sunday and Unexpected Song -- will likely be familiar to many folks, but the show is hardly one of ALW's big hits. Sounds like it's coming aboard as an easy-to-do fill in for a period of time.