I'm back

MrsMoose2001

I'm back today.

Ship to shore was ok, not as great connection as I would have hoped but served my purpose.

Cell phones worked well everywhere except sea days of course and in Skagway.

Land phones in Skagway was good, but the rest of the places, the cell phone was better connection.

Alaska was amazing. We loved Alaska it's the most beautiful palce I ever saw, I was blown away with it's beauty.

As for the cruise, I will write more in detail, but I was not overall impressed.

The service was great, the staff was really wonderful (except the hairdresser didn't like her but she is not part of Radisson) she belongs to the spa which was nice except for her.

Dinner was way to long and I was not overly impressed with the food. The best meals I had was when I was off ship in Alaska.

We didn't get seasick, although their were rough seas a few nights and I heard other people were quite sick.

I will write a better review in a few days when I have time.

thanks to everyone for all your help and advice, it is very very much appreciated.

I had my dream trip of my life and I'm happy I went, but don't think I will rush to go on another cruiseship. Alaska I would go back to visit and even live there maybe, but I don't think cruise life is for me.

thanks again to everyone for all your help, advice and encouragement.

To all those travelling soon, I wish you healthy, happy and safe travels.

MrsMoose - Welcome home. Glad to hear you accomplished what you set out to do. Sorry it was not an "earth shaking - I can't believe how wonderful it was" trip, but as you said, the "dream trip of a lifetime" and you are happy -and I guess tha's what counts.

It was a great trip, Alaska was amazing. We never went for the cruise part, that was a means to get me to Alaska, so it really was "earth shakeing for the Alaska part" and that is really all that mattered to me. To be in Alaska, to see Alaska, as for the cruise, as I said, I really had no expectations, it was fine, but no not absoultely wonderful. The service was great, can't complain. Radisson does a fine job. I didn't care all that much for the food, didn't see anything special. I'm probably the only person who walked off the ship with their clothes looser, lol.

Thank you for the "welcome home", I'm sorry for the confusion of my post

Mrs. Moose, we enjoyed the most food on our cruise. Perhaps time alone with my DH and window seats in resturants kept me from overdoing the calories. Walking daily on the walking deck helped keep the pounds at bay. We were tired at night and never saw the midnight buffet. I enjoyed being up at sunrise on the balcony. The sites of Alaska were breathtaking. Would like to travel further north to Fairbanks in the future.:)

Oh same here, I would love to go to Fairbanks and Nome and Barrow, hubby wants to go to Kodiak. He is still disappointed that he didn't see a brown bear (or any bear for that matter). Yes, the sights were fantastic and I too was up at around 5:30 - 6am. Room service everyday for breakfast so no overindulgence at all there. Lunch was on shore whenever we were in Alaska at lunch time and the other times it was a buffet and I hate buffets, one day I ordered the cheeseburger (since they will bring that), but was not impressed, another time a "heated sandwich" because the'll bring that, and the other two times, buffet, but a quick trip as I hate buffets and carrying a plate so it was a quick trip with not much on the plate and no returns.

Dinner was mostly on the gourmet side and I don't care for to much rich food, french gourmet and me don't get along digestive wise so I really tried to be careful and eat something simple and I only had a desert twice on the ship.

My big indulgence was to 2x order a small pizza and some potato chips (from room service) upon return from shore as hubby was hungry and I had a piece while resting, napping and getting ready for dinner (I just ate less of the rich food).

Really was not impressed with the food. I think I would have been happier with the room service menu for supper (steak sandwich on baguette with a ceasar salad) would have served me well. They really need to serve that room service menu in one of the bars/lounges, we would have been so much happier. 3 hours for dinner was driving the hubby totally nuts.

I think it was all the walking on the ship to get from one place to another. I don't think we had a midnight buffet, never saw it advertised and would not have gone anyway as that's just not something we would do as once in my room and settled for the evening I would not get dressed to go back out again, especially with a shore excursion starting at 7:30 am.

I understand what you are saying. I really did not overindulge, at all, and I'm happy about that.

You and I have the same tastes in food, a couple of nice dinners ok but I also enjoyed our room service dinner one night, a tasty sandwich and salad. I love hearing the water go by. I love to see food presented in interesting ways but the country girl in me is basic food. The cruise was a chance to step away the box for us away from the pressures of teenagers and work.(healthcare):) I'm looking at the Baltic cruises for the future but also go back to alaska again.

Oh I think we do have the same taste in food. That rich food really doesn't do it for me. I know what you mean about "getting away", but as for the food, I much preferred my halibut burger at the burger queen (nothing at all to do with Burger King) in Ketchikan. Now that was a good honest down home meal, lol.

To the person who suggested Burger Queen, wondeful lunch !!

I kept thinking of that steak sandwich and salad on the room service menu, but I only had the breakfast room service. Nice size room, but I think still not comfortable for dinner because of the time to come and remove the stuff would have been uncomfortable for using the desk/char etc.

Balcony was not really an option at night because of the weather unfortunately, ok for daytime, but the nights were either rainy, very rocky or just not nice.

We did not have smooth sailing for several nights. One passenger got so sick he had to get off and fly home.

I would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat, I love the place. Gourmet food, I'll pass most times.

Welcome Back Ms. M.!!

As for the dinners....my DH feels the same way! Too long for him!! We are cruising the Caribbean again in Nov and I have offered him the option of not going to the dining room for dinner. Luckily for us..Princess has the buffet and a casual dining area (Cafe Carib).

So, it sounds like you were able to keep in touch with your Mom while you were away. Hope she did well in your absence.

As hard as it is for those of us on these boards to believe...but not EVERYONE adores cruising. I have several friends who are not fond of this form of vacation! Isn't it wonderful that we have soooo many options!

Deb

Archived