Steakhouse gratuity

Cher222

If I can get that meal in the MDR for $20, with a tip a little more that $2, the tip in the Steakhouse is $15. I never find I'm getting 7 times better service there than from my MDR servers.

You do get a better choice of appetizers in steakhouse. For example onion soup is the best we have ever had.

You do get a better choice of appetizers in steakhouse. For example onion soup is the best we have ever had.

Yes, but you. An get those for free. If you don't order an entree for the kids, you'll be surprised what you can get.

And if you order another entree, like making a makeshift surf and turf, it's still just an extra $20.

I have never heard that the tip is included in the up charge. Also never seen that written anywhere. Only on here by people that probably don't know what they are talking about.

If you never researched or read Carnivals information on the subject I could see where you are coming from but those folks were right and did know what they were talking about.

From Carnival

The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity;

From this page here - https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Controls/SteakhouseRequest?icid=CC_Hyperlink_7

If that came across harsh please forgive me. Sorry.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Yes, but you. An get those for free. If you don't order an entree for the kids, you'll be surprised what you can get.

And if you order another entree, like making a makeshift surf and turf, it's still just an extra $20.

People cheating the system are one of the reasons for price increases.

It's the food and the upsacle experience. After you return home, find the nearest upscale steakhouse in your city. Tell the Maitre'd you will pay no more than $35 plus a gratuity, say for a 24 oz porterhouse, appetizer and dessert. Even the most humorless Maitre'd will fall to the floor laughing.

It's the food and the upsacle experience. After you return home, find the nearest upscale steakhouse in your city. Tell the Maitre'd you will pay no more than $35 plus a gratuity, say for a 24 oz porterhouse, appetizer and dessert. Even the most humorless Maitre'd will fall to the floor laughing.

You're forgetting the $35 in on top of what you've already paid for a dinner in the MDR.

The food isn't that upscale in the Steakhouse, it just looks that way. Its a $25 steak at the most and they don't even have a Porterhouse.

If the "upscale" place was paying the staff peanuts like on a cruise, they could do it and like mentioned above, you already also paid for a meal that night. (not much though, I bet its less than $10).

Carnivals Steakhouses are ok but nothing to rave about and not worth $35 IMHO

I rate them about with perhaps Texas Roadhouse but with a fancy atmosphere.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

My husband usually leaves $20 for the two of us. I'm getting a little "tipped out" on Carnival and feel less inclined to tip extra, unless the service is stellar. He always adds a dollar to every drink order, which already includes tip. I'm trying to break him of this habit.

We leave on gratuities and tip extra when warranted. Lately, though, there seems to be this expectation to tip beyond what's included and it's starting to irritate me.

Unfortunately I am beginning to feel this way also. I have always been an "over-tipper" but it seems service continues to get worse and worse anyway :(

The food isn't that upscale in the Steakhouse, it just looks that way. Its a $25 steak at the most and they don't even have a Porterhouse.

If the "upscale" place was paying the staff peanuts like on a cruise, they could do it and like mentioned above, you already also paid for a meal that night. (not much though, I bet its less than $10).

Carnivals Steakhouses are ok but nothing to rave about and not worth $35 IMHO

I rate them about with perhaps Texas Roadhouse but with a fancy atmosphere.

To each his/her own. I've been to Ben Bensons, Ruths Chris, Peter Lugers, Smith & Wollensky's and Gallaghers to name just a few here in NYC. Sure, the Carnival steakhouse isn't on par with those, but it's certainly worth the upcharge to check it out. $35 is nothing for a decent dinner with extremely attentative service as far as I'm concerned. As for the tip, to echo others, it is indeed included in the $35. If you'd care to add more, it's at your discretion. We generally add an additional $10 or $20 based upon the service.

Edited by RickinNYC