Let's talk about hair dryers...

cpshaye

I have long, thick hair which requires me to dry it to have some control to make myself presentable and not scare the kids. I've read one woman's account that the dryers in the room suck. We have to fly to the port, and I'm *trying* not to over pack. But if the dryers the provide don't really blow out the air,I may have to take mine.

So....what's the verdict? Will it have enough oomph to dry my hair in less than 2 hours? LOL

I have curly hair that requires a blow dryer and diffuser or I will be scaring passengers right along with you. I have read the same reviews about the blow dryers being pretty inadequate. I cannot leave it to chance so I am bringing my own.

Depends on the ship you are going on. The hair dryer from the thread you mentioned was on the Triumph. These are the wall mounted machine with a tube and a nozzle. And I fully agree, they are not worth much. BUT the Conquest class ships and newer have standard blow dryers in the drawer out in the cabin. These are your typical 1400 watt hair dryers and are much better. Fantasy class ships I think you have to request one delivered to your cabin. (That is second hand information BTW)

Depends on the ship you are going on. The hair dryer from the thread you mentioned was on the Triumph. These are the wall mounted machine with a tube and a nozzle. And I fully agree, they are not worth much. BUT the Conquest class ships and newer have standard blow dryers in the drawer out in the cabin. These are your typical 1400 watt hair dryers and are much better. Fantasy class ships I think you have to request one delivered to your cabin. (That is second hand information BTW)

OK...any clue about the Splendor?

In my opinion, the hair dryers on the ships are all adequate. They get the job done. They are not rock stars, don't have diffusers, and are not high powered, super hot, super cool pieces of equipment. They will dry your hair in under two hours. If you require special equipment or think you might need more than a basic hairdryer, take your own so you have it and check the hairdryer on the ship for future reference. Problem solved.

In my opinion, the hair dryers on the ships are all adequate. They get the job done. They are not rock stars, don't have diffusers, and are not high powered, super hot, super cool pieces of equipment. They will dry your hair in under two hours. If you require special equipment or think you might need more than a basic hairdryer, take your own so you have it and check the hairdryer on the ship for future reference. Problem solved.

Who wants to spend 2 hours every day on a cruise drying their hair?:confused::confused:

I like this thread...I am lazy..and have stopped getting spendy cuts and prof perm or hair dye when perms stopped. I am lucky and have thick fine hair...but it will not go into and keep a "doo" very well.

I thought people were crazy until I got my niece ready with my mom for one of those dance recitals...OMYHEAVENS. Such a sweet and precious dancer. Her hair required drying completely and getting slight damp for a curling process. She has gorgeous straight and thick heavier hair...thick and thick not fine and thick and straight is 2 different worlds...bring your drier if hair is like hers. I never thought I would go back to high school straight but I keep it shorter, dye it myself..let it dry naturally and it does quick enough or a little air helps for anything too important and a little curling iron on bottom hair if really important...someday i want to do a hairdo on the ship for dressy night...but...man I am back to the country where there is not as much pressure or expense!! It is good.....take your dryer if more complicated than me.

PS..never complain about helping your mom when she needs you as a grandma with a niece or nephew...now amongst fondest memories....Sarah

PSS..Now it is 8th grade sports 24 seven..lol..softball last night...I just sit and watch..clueless on sports. Much easier hair...

Edited by sjn911

I have long, thick hair which requires me to dry it to have some control to make myself presentable and not scare the kids. I've read one woman's account that the dryers in the room suck. We have to fly to the port, and I'm *trying* not to over pack. But if the dryers the provide don't really blow out the air,I may have to take mine.

So....what's the verdict? Will it have enough oomph to dry my hair in less than 2 hours? LOL

I also have long thick hair (I HATE my hair lol). the hair dryers aren't the best, but definitely not the worst. The hair dryer I use at home dries by hair in about 7-10 minutes, the ones on the ship MAYBE 15, so they aren't much different. you can always buy a travel hair dryer for about $20 at target.

You can buy a travel hair dryer at Walmart that is small and packs well. It works much better than the ones on the ship and you don't have to "hold" the on button the whole time. To me that is what I hate the most. It hurts my hands to do that, so I pack my travel dryer. I also use it to take the wrinkles out of hubby's good shirts!

Only having been on one cruise so far, the one lesson I did learn is to make room for my own hair dryer. I will definitely be packing one for our cruise in October.

The power, wattage or having to hold the button was not the problem for me.....it was the dryer's constant need to suck in my hair. And i'm not talking a strand here and there, i'm talking non stop.

And to be honest, kinda gross to have my hubs help pull it out and see all different hair tangled in with mine.

Either take a blow dryer or a rayon chamois (sham wow). Kids will bring the faux chamois and get most of the moisture out of their hair. Then either blow dry or use product.

I always take my own. I have relatively short, fine hair but a lot of it. It takes forever with a low wattage dryer such as those on the ship. I've only made the mistake of not taking my own, once. Will not make that mistake again!

OK...any clue about the Splendor?

My hair is somewhat thick and takes FOREVER to dry...If your hair normally takes awhile to dry, I would take your own. The ones on the Splendor are pretty low wattage and put a good at least 45 mins onto drying time.

The Splendor- Has the normal hand held blow dryer in the drawer in the cabin like the Conquest class..

Bring a rubber band. The dryers have a button and not an on off switch we tied the button down with the rubber band which frees your hands up while drying you hair instead of having to keep the button held down.

Take one. The dryers on ships I've been on you have to hold the on button down the whole time. With long, thick hair you'll need to see the ship doc!

Yes, this. On the Pride I had to hold down the button the whole time. I think I only bothered doing that once and the rest of the time I shoved my hair in a pony tail.

Who wants to spend 2 hours every day on a cruise drying their hair?:confused::confused:

That was an exaggeration. However, any woman with a lot of hair knows it can take a long time to dry, even with a dryer. It takes a good 15 minutes to do mine at home, and don't want a rinky-dink one that will take 45 minutes plus to do on the ship! Even if I wanted to risk scaring everyone and letting it dry naturally, it will still be damp at dinner time...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll look into a travel one with some oomph to it and pack it along.

I like to save room too, but I always take my own blow dryer and shampoo, even though Carnival provides both. Their stuff could get the job done, but not as well as mine. With the humidity, chlorine, etc., hair care matters to me. My long hair would be dried out and take forever to blow dry if I used their stuff.

Long, thick, hair...no hairdryer. Just book a balcony, spend 10 minutes out there brushing your hair, braid it into a french braid, or wrap it into a twist and bring along some claw hair accessories. Who cares what you look like on a cruise...guaranteed nobody cares what your hair looks like.

I have very thick hair but at least it's only shoulder-length. It's keratin-treated, so I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner (I spend enough money on it where I can't risk using products that will strip keratin out). I try to manage with hotel- or cruise-ship provided blow dryers when I travel, but it really takes forever. Half the time I end up putting it in ponytails and letting it air dry some before finishing the job with a blow dryer.

Only having been on one cruise so far, the one lesson I did learn is to make room for my own hair dryer. I will definitely be packing one for our cruise in October.

The power, wattage or having to hold the button was not the problem for me.....it was the dryer's constant need to suck in my hair. And i'm not talking a strand here and there, i'm talking non stop.

And to be honest, kinda gross to have my hubs help pull it out and see all different hair tangled in with mine.

I agree! My friend and I were just talking about this. Every cruise I use the hair dryer in the room and every cruise after I use it I vow never again! The thing is constantly sucking my hair in! I couldn't figure out if it was just me because I rarely hear others complain about it!!

OP - do yourself a favor! Take your own!! You will thank us later!!