Early Saver and upgrading cabins

katiedidthat

I'm currently booked in a 7A (obstructed view)- 5191 on the Pride and I'm considering upgrading to an 8A- 4161 because its only $40 more total fare. The catch, however, is that we booked Early Saver, with the 50% deposits. I don't mind having to finish paying the deposit if I do the upgrade, but before I call and wait to talk to someone at Carnival, I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on whether its worth it to pay the $200 in change fees, plus the $40 difference in fare to go from an obstructed balcony to a regular balcony. Both cabins are right by the elevators and in an area of the ship we like. It'll be myself, my husband, our 3 and 1 year olds, so we'll spend a lot of time on the balcony. Usually we have been in extended balcony cabins, this will be the first time for an obstructed view or regular balcony.

As other poster said fee only to change ship or sail date. We booked ES in outside cabin and added a person which then we had to change cabins. Then we upgraded to a JS. They were happy to take our money for the upgraded cabin and did not charge us a fee to change.

We've sailed balconies with obstructed view and all it was, if you looked down from your balcony, you were looking at the top of a life boat. We could look out and see everything, just not down. If that's the case, I wouldn't pay the $$$. Just saying.

We've sailed balconies with obstructed view and all it was, if you looked down from your balcony, you were looking at the top of a life boat. We could look out and see everything, just not down. If that's the case, I wouldn't pay the $$$. Just saying.

That's part of why I'm conflicted. I have seen places that say you just can't look down to the water, and then places where it says the boat will be level with the balcony and you can only see out on the horizon while standing. On our last cruise, our oldest son loved standing at the railing watching for other boats and I'm worried that the lifeboat will be blocking his view if its level with the railing instead of the floor.

Like this- 2Dfront.jpg

Edited by katiedidthat

That's part of why I'm conflicted. I have seen places that say you just can't look down to the water, and then places where it says the boat will be level with the balcony and you can only see out on the horizon while standing. On our last cruise, our oldest son loved standing at the railing watching for other boats and I'm worried that the lifeboat will be blocking his view if its level with the railing instead of the floor.

Like this- 2Dfront.jpg

As others have said, you can upgrade without any penalty. You may have to pay the full deposit though.

Since your son enjoys standing at the railing looking out, the 7A balcony would not be suitable for your family. Adults should have no issue with the lifeboats but little boys need the full view.

I would advise you to upgrade.