Celebrity Reflection Eastern Med

Debbie1573

How formal are the formal evenings? Could my husband wear a smart suit and tie or is he expected to wear a tux? Also are ladies wearing long dresses?

Should Your husband not be wearing a black and white striped dinner jacket ?[emoji33][emoji33]

Lots of guys just wear suits and ties , some dodge it by going to speciality restaurants.

Generally speaking its the americans who dont like the formal bit and the Brits and Canadians do . just what we have concluded and not based on any scientific basis.

the great thing is you can choose to dress up or not [emoji2]

I Just do what the Boss Lady decides [emoji13][emoji636][emoji295]️[emoji634][emoji485][emoji482][emoji484]

On our 2 med cruises there was not much formal dress. Saw just one tux on our cruise last year. Few long dresses. Most men not wearing a tie. They do like jackets but this wasn't enforced in the MDR.

Edited by Pushka

On our 2 med cruises there was not much formal dress. Saw just one tux on our cruise last year. Few long dresses. Most men not wearing a tie. They do like jackets but this wasn't enforced in the MDR.

Agree

On our 11 night Med cruise last year, It was mostly sport coats with open collar dress shirts. Quite a few suits and ties, but not that many folks in true formal attire.

We dined in Blu which doesn't follow the MDR dress code per se, but many folks in there dressed up a bit on those nights. I wore a blazer, shirt and pants and fit in wherever I went.

I have spent the last few hours going through your cruise review and was so upset by your lost luggage. I would hate that to happen to us, but I guess its like airline lost luggage, what can you do but claim on insurance ? Devastating.

We are definitely going to do the resort at Mykonos and I would love to do the Pompeii tour, along with the amalfi coast and sorrento. Sounds fab!

Santorini and I would like to do myself, just one of the beaches and one of the resorts (as you say it is all the same thing in the shops.

x

Santorini does not have beaches and resorts as such, not unless you go to the far side of the Island from the Tender disembarkation point. Santorini is great just to take the funicular up to Fira, maybe catch bus or taxi to Oia. Allow for long queues if coming back down funicular, other option is to walk or ride the Donkey track, 100's of steps.

Any advice as to whether to ride the donkeys up or down in Santorini?

Yes, dont do it! The poor donkeys look worked to death, the path is slippery, and steep. The donkeys smell, and so does their doo doos!! We walked down once, and swore never again, and we felt so sorry for the donkeys, working all day in that heat, carrying us hefty cruisers!!

Any advice as to whether to ride the donkeys up or down in Santorini?

DO NOT ride the donkeys The people who 'own' the donkeys are nasty and cruel people with no care for any person or animals. It is well documented if one looks.

There are theories they have control over the cable car which mysteriously breaks down when cruise ship traffic is high.

I was v lucky on that a few passengers came down together after a dreadful ascent. As we were all big lads we got away with giving these people of questionable paternal parentage a verbal bashing DO NOT try this on your own

If the cable car isnt working - go back to the ship . If you are at the top and need to go down on foot go down in a group - the bigger the better.

Edited by gcgold

We did the Eastern Med in June '12 on the Equinox (the Reflection had not yet been launched) but I think the itineraries were similar. You can see my long review in my signature below.

With one exception (the kids going to Pompeii), we did private tours for our excursions and were pleased with all with some tweaks.

In June '14, we did another cruise of the Med on Silhouette and had another fabulous time. This time we made it to Mykonos and spent the bulk of the day at the St. Johns resort mentioned in another post and again went to Santorini. The second trip we took the boat to Oia and spent the morning wandering around before returning to Fira. We arrived in the early morning so it was a different experience. We had some challenges with the boat to Oia (long wait before it took off and then limited time in Oia before the scheduled return--which we 'fought' and they accommodated us with a later taxi) but I might suggest giving that a try.

I envy you!!!

P.S. In June '14, we spent the night in Civitavecchia before our cruise and arrived at the terminal around 11:30 a.m. It was MUCH less crowded than when we arrived at 12 noon in June '12. Be sure to have your hotel reserve a cab for you the night BEFORE you need it. Ours did not and we had a bit of a frustrating wait for it to come.

Hi Debbie

My husband and I are on the same cruise. My question is............. is it better to run with ship excursions or prebuy from outside sources - they are a lot cheaper outside?:confused:

"My husband and I are on the same cruise."

Dont worry about this , you wont be judged . :eek:

The answer to your questions about ships tour or DIY comes down to how nervous you are.

The ships sell the tours by scaring you . If you dont get back to the ship on time it will leave without you (true most of the time) whereas the ship will wait for an Official tour (again true most of the time) If you do miss the ship you will have to find your own way to the next port (DIY Tour) or CelX will have to make arrangements (ships tour)

We never book ships tours , mainly because I am mean :eek: We have been to all the ports before so have no issues using public transport esp Athens & Istanbul. Incidentally we walked back to the ship from the middle of Istanbul last time it is so easy - and downhill on the way back.

If you do decide DIY then aim to get back to the ship 90 minutes before it is due to leave to allow for unforseen circumstances. Also factor in a what -if just in case something unpredictable happens, ensuring you have the means to get to the next port.

We were on the Reflection last fall for a 10 Day E. Med cruise. Only used the ship tour in Messina just for transportaion.

Athens: Private Greece Tour

Ephesus: Ephesus Deluxe

Santorini: Oceanwave Tours ( ask for George)

Naples: AP Tours (did Almafi Coast)

Did not look at your iteniary but hope some of these help. All were very good and no worries about getting back to the ship. Be happy to answer any questions. :)

We are off to the W Med next month! :D

We were on the Reflection last fall for a 10 Day E. Med cruise. Only used the ship tour in Messina just for transportaion.

Athens: Private Greece Tour

Ephesus: Ephesus Deluxe

Santorini: Oceanwave Tours ( ask for George)

Naples: AP Tours (did Almafi Coast)

Did not look at your iteniary but hope some of these help. All were very good and no worries about getting back to the ship. Be happy to answer any questions. :)

We are off to the W Med next month! :D

We just returned from the 11-night Eastern Med cruise on Reflection. Used only private tours for just the two of us: Ephesus Shuttle for Ephesus and Istanbul (Cengiz in Ephesus and Seda in Istanbul, both fantastic), PK Travel in Athens, and AP Tours in Naples (Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento, ask for Aronne, he was wonderful). All were great and very professional about making sure we were back to the ship on time. Rented a car for Santorini and just ambled around in Mykonos. A truly great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
You must get them in advance.

Does Celebrity not handle getting the Turkey Visa for all it's passengers? I've been to turkey twice via NCL, and I didn't have to do anything myself regarding seeking out a visa. Is Celebrity different?

Does Celebrity not handle getting the Turkey Visa for all it's passengers? I've been to turkey twice via NCL, and I didn't have to do anything myself regarding seeking out a visa. Is Celebrity different?

Only need a Turkish visa if the cruise starts or finishes in Turkey .

You will also need one if the boat is overnighting AND you choose to stay in a hotel overnight. Cannot fathom why anyone would- but each to their own [emoji12]

Don't want to high jack this thread, but I have similar question regarding Visa.

I am EU national, don't need a Visa for any of the countries we sail on September 19, but my better half needs to get a Schengen Visa for Europe.

How does Celebrity handle the immigration procedures? Almost every day we will be in a different port, are their immigration officers of each country on the ship for the 13 nights? I can not really imagine how they will process over 2,500 passports in port in an hour or so?:confused:

Don't want to high jack this thread, but I have similar question regarding Visa.

I am EU national, don't need a Visa for any of the countries we sail on September 19, but my better half needs to get a Schengen Visa for Europe.

How does Celebrity handle the immigration procedures? Almost every day we will be in a different port, are their immigration officers of each country on the ship for the 13 nights? I can not really imagine how they will process over 2,500 passports in port in an hour or so?:confused:

Once you have entered Europe (and that is usually before you embark) you don't have to bother with immigration again.

Once you have entered Europe (and that is usually before you embark) you don't have to bother with immigration again.

Not strictly true . Both UK & Ireland are in Europe but not in the Schengen area. So if the OP was planning on visiting these cold and wet Islands , pre or post cruise then further immigration clearance could be necessary.

And if you mention the cricket you wont get in either [emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji636]

Edited by gcgold

Not strictly true . Both UK & Ireland are in Europe but not in the Schengen area. So if the OP was planning on visiting these cold and wet Islands , pre or post cruise then further immigration clearance could be necessary.

And if you mention the cricket you wont get in either [emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji636]

:p. Guess I dont consider Britain to be part of Europe. Where's the Euros! :)

I quite like Cook. He is the spitting image of my son - when my son gets to his age.

So how does the ship cope with the amount of people who need to clear immigrations?

Are the passports collected during check in and given back to us the night before check out?

Are there counters in each port where we have to wait for immigration officers? And if so, how is it possible to make it in time for tours? For example ship arrives in port at 6 am and tours start at 7.30 ?

Does anyone have advice regarding Turkish visas? Is it ok to just get them on arrival or do we have to apply in advance?

Sue

Advice from http://www.gov.co.uk

Visas

British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day.

:p. Guess I dont consider Britain to be part of Europe. Where's the Euros! :)

I quite like Cook. He is the spitting image of my son - when my son gets to his age.

The Euros are only held every 4 years and surprise surprise England have never won it[emoji33][emoji23]. Greece did win (in 2004) as many marine officers on CelX boats will tell you [emoji32]

Cook is looking good against the Kiwis (at batting but still a very iffy Captain IMHO) but not sure how he will cope against the top bowlers in Oz [emoji32].

Just thinking if it hadn't been for a different Captain called Cook you wouldn't have won the Ashes at all [emoji33][emoji12]