Kid's Program - links to daily activities sheet?

lbryant

We're scheduled for a Panama Canal cruise in early Oct '06 (Radiance of the Seas) as a large family reunion. Does anyone have links to daily newsletters that show the kid's schedule from one of these longer cruises? We've taken 3 RCCL cruises in the past, but this is the first with the kids (in-laws 50th anniversary celebration for the whole family). We're trying to get a sense of what sort of schedules to anticipate on port and sea days; we're also trying to get an idea about planning adult dinners, going to the shows, etc. I've heard fantastic things about the Adventure Ocean programs, so we know the kids will have a blast. I also know we're a bit out of season, so there may not be many other kids on board. Anyone have similar experiences to share advice? Best cruising with kids tips and tricks??

Other questions: Do walkie talkies work very well on the ship? Are the soda cards worth buying / easy for the kids to use?

FYI: we will have 5 kids between 2 of the families: ages at cruise time will be: 17, 15, 12, 9 & 6 - all girls.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice.

Laura

They are going to love Adventure Ocean for the 9 and 6 year old. They are basically taken care of from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. except for an hour for lunch and dinner.

The older children will go to fuel. The 12 year old will have a different program there than the 15 & 17. The older children will have a little more free time than the younger ones.

There are special dinners for the children so you would be able to plan adult dinners, like in Portofinos.

Port days the schedules are lighter because it is expected that most people will go off ship with their children however, they can stay onboard be taken care of at Adventure Ocean. Sometimes there is a cost for that. There is also a cost involved if you want the children to stay at Adventure Ocean after 10:00 -- its babysitting then

Walkie talkies....I see people using them but we found them a bit of nuisance. There are house phones all over the ship

Soda cards...our boys drink alot of soda so it was worth it and it gives the children independence from trying to find us to ask permission to buy a drink

We always cruise "out of season" and have always found there to be many children on board....not tons but many so no worries about finding new friends.

I just know you'll have a great time.....and so will the girls ;)

Does anyone know if there's any way of AO getting in touch with you if you leave the little kids with them on a port day? We will have several tours which are not through the ship. Should we have any concerns about doing this? I had read before that there was a beeper system, but presume this is only for use on the ship.

If you have a phone number for the people who are running the tour leave that at AO as a contact when off the ship. Also list who the tour is with and where you are going. Just pretend that you have left your children with a new babysitter while you are out on the town.

Who you will be with (Tour company)

Where you will be (agenda)

telephone number(s) to be reached.

Thank you CaptData and CruisingFamily for the information and encouragement. I was hoping to find some of the Compass programs that are put out for the kids listing their activities so we have an idea of what's available. I've seen plenty of the adult Cruise Compass links, but nothing showing the kid's schedules. We've looked at some of the shore excursions and most seem to have an age limit of 12 and over. Does anyone have ideas of things to do on Panama Canal cruise ports for smaller kids? Just hoping for some inspiration

Our only problem now is waiting the 13 months until we go!

Thanks to all.

Cruisefamily: have an awesome time in Hawaii. It's our home away from home!

Laura

Laura: We were on Brilliance (11 nights) and these were some of the kids activities. Day 1 was just an open house for Adventure Ocean from 8-9pm. Day 2 was crayola project called model magic, gaga ball, and an adventure science project... in the afternoon they did human pinball, some other games and just before dinner they had a family scavenger hunt. Day 3 was a volcano project, meteor shower, crazy ball in the afternoon and a baloon relay, another family game called list-o-rama. At night was a game called win cruise or draw and also a trivia contest. Day 4 was Reptile trivia, dinosaur dancing, adventure art of lizzards, bugs and butterflies. The afternoon consisted of an ice cream party and a twister tournament. The evening was a sports night where they got medals at the end. Day 5 was Face painting, pillow case and t- shirt painting, pirate night was that night (they take over the ship). I could go on and on... but basically... they keep them busy. I told you about the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups (they basically did the same activities).

The 12-14 group did trivia, board games, a celebrity photo hunt, pool parties (no adults allowed), 5 minute mysteries, design your own bandana, toilet paper hockey, ship building (they race them in the pool), ice cream parties...

I could go on and on.... but I will spare you. ;) hope that helped and gave you an idea of the things they do.

They will all have a great time. If I had a scanner, I would scan my compass's for you.... but I don't. Sorry. One point... the arcade is EXPENSIVE!!!! And it was strategically located on the way into AO on Brilliance. I put a set amount on the boys sea passes so they could play... but so they couldn't go overboard. When they are signed in to AO (the younger kids) can't go out there on their own though unless they are allowed to sign themselves in and out of AO.

Archived