istanbul with or without ship tour?

Electra 7

Hi has anyone been to Istanbul I do not know anything about it and do not know whether to do own thing or with ship tour can you help out please:confused:

Definitely easy to DiY especially if you can walk well. You are berthed on the opposite side of Galata Bridge from the main tourist attractions (Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace, the Hippodrome, the Cisterns, the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market.

You can see where you need to go from the ship - so that's very reassuring. you can walk in or take the tram which runs along the road parallel to the port. You do need local currency to buy the tokens at the bus stops.

For a first visit, I'd recommend the Topkapi Palace - but go there first and early to beat the crowds and tours and pay extra to go into the Harem which is the most ornate part of the Palace. Then perhaps the Blue Mosque and/or the Hagia Sophia and the Bazaar and a brief look in the Spice Market on your way back to the ship.

Get a map, plan what you most want to do and enjoy! Its a great city and better still one where you can do your own thing and not be restricted by the pace and timings of a group.

It is easy to do on your own. Once you get to the tourist area most attractions are close to each other. Either get a taxi or shuttle to that area. It can be quite a walk, depending on which berth the ship is in. Remember to stay on the tourist side of the bridge if you do walk. The only thing that bothered us was that ,when you stopped to look at your map, someone always approached you to help but wanted you to go to their cousin`s carpet factory on the way. You just have to be firm.

thanks for that I'm from west of Scotland also will try and be firm with carpet sellers:)

I know you will then. :D

I mentioned staying on the tourist side of the bridge as we had an incident coming back to the ship quite a few years ago. We found ourselves on the wrong side and were about to take an underpass when I turned round to speak to my other half and found him lying on the ground with a man on top. He said he notice three men surrounding him. They tried to get into his back pocket. He gave one a good kick but toppled over. (They underestimated the Glasgow fighting spirit :p) They ran off without his money. This of course could happen in our own town, or anywhere in the world. The locals around us were very good, asking after his wellbeing. He was shaken but not hurt. One of the parcels he was carrying contained a wall plate we had bought in the Grand Bazaar. It was smashed.

Don`t let this put you off Istanbul. It`s a great place to visit and we have been back a couple of times since.