$$$ ft lauderdale hotels

shaver

we just booked a nice suite on the zuiderdam's january 7th sailing.

we would love some advice on a nice hotel for the night before sailing.

we don't need a palace but don't want a dump either.

suggestions? thank you.

The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort is an excellent choice. Good restaurants, resort type swimming pool/beach. Nearby Port Everglades:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLSB

Renaissance is another good choice. Outstanding restaurant. Starbucks just off lobby. Also near Port Everglades:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=FLLBR

We're staying in the Ft Lauderdale Marina Marriott both before and after our cruise next February. However, it's not what I would call a low cost alternative. We're taking advantage of being in Ft Lauderdale the same time that the King Tut exhibit is in town and Marriott has a special package deal for tickets, transportation to the exhibit, etc., otherwise we might have shopped around a bit more.

I would recommend the Hyatt Pier 66 if their pool renovation is completed. The pool is currently closed until 10/25. The pool is beautiful and a destination all by itself. The hotel has a bar at the top that does a 360 revolution with fabulous views of the ocean, waterway, and city. It can be pricey, depends on the time of year.

We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 before our cruise last April. Not a low cost alternative but the pool and grounds are wonderful as is the revolving bar on the top floor of the hotel. Also, it's about a 5 minute taxi ride to the pier.

If you're thinking in terms of a mid-range hotel, the LaQuinta Inn & Suites in Hollywood is a very nice place. We've stayed there pre-cruise several times and have always been pleased. Newer facility with very clean, spacious rooms; friendly & accommodating staff; short ride to port (6 miles); comp. shuttle to port on weekends; nice deluxe cont'l breakfast (includes make-your-own waffles); non-stratospheric rates; and within walking distance to a large mall with several good restaurants. They also participate in the drive/park/cruise program where guests can leave their car for up to two weeks at no extra charge.

Not only is the pool at Pier 66 under renovation but they have permanently closed the Top of the Pier. It will be renovated and reopened as a special event facility. It closed last weekend. It was the best spot to watch the ships sail out and we will miss it.

I am really disappointed to read your news about the bar at the top of the hotel and the temporary closure of their pool. Those are the two main attractions, along with the gardens and the lanai rooms along the waterway. I guess we will try another hotel if we are in Fort Lauderdale before they finish their renovations. This board does provide information which is really valuable. Sometimes I assume that everything stays as it was. I wouldn't even think to check, as Pier 66 is our usual hotel when we depart from Port Everglades. Thanks. EM

I can also recommend La Quinta Inn and Suites. It is a moderately priced hotel, with large rooms and nice pool area. No, it isn't on the beach nor does it have a view of the cruise ships.

There is a Hampton Inn that is recommended also.

Neither of these hotels are a Pier 66 which is more upscale and pricey. :eek:

It all depends on how much you want to spend. :) Check the hotel board on this site there are lots of comments about hotels.

My wife and I had a great 2 night stay at the Rennisance on 17th Street. Right across from the port. It had to be the most comfortable hotel bed we ever slept in. Not cheap, but you can usually get a good deal through Priceline.

Mike

The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort is an excellent choice. Good restaurants, resort type swimming pool/beach. Nearby Port Everglades:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLSB

Renaissance is another good choice. Outstanding restaurant. Starbucks just off lobby. Also near Port Everglades:

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=FLLBR

I assume you meant the Marriott Marina. The Harbor beach goes for over $400 per night during the Winter season.

I still like the old Yankee Clipper near the Port and near Ft. Lauderdale beach nightlife and they have a couple of great bars: one on the beach and one indoors with an underwater view of one of the swimming pools and a bunch of acquariums.

I assume you meant the Marriott Marina. The Harbor beach goes for over $400 per night during the Winter season.

Nope, I did mean the Harbor Beach. I got it for $125 in September of 2003. But after checking the current rates, I sure wouldn't do it again!:D

The Marina Marriott in February next year wasn't $400 but it was more than $125. $125 would be a nice price if it was a decent place relatively close in. Unfortunatley DW is not patient enough to "bid" out a room through one of the on-line clearing houses. She's got this thing about knowing where she's going to sleep and not willing to put it off to the "last minute". :) All I have to remember is "Yes Dear", "Whatever you say Dear", and "I love you Dear". Oh yes....I make all the big decisions in the house. Like.....our position on the UN, the Gross National Product, etc. DW makes all the small ones. Like what cars we drive, where we live, want vacations we go on, and....in this case....what hotels we stay in. :o

The Marina Marriott in February next year wasn't $400 but it was more than $125. $125 would be a nice price if it was a decent place relatively close in. Unfortunatley DW is not patient enough to "bid" out a room through one of the on-line clearing houses. She's got this thing about knowing where she's going to sleep and not willing to put it off to the "last minute". :) All I have to remember is "Yes Dear", "Whatever you say Dear", and "I love you Dear". Oh yes....I make all the big decisions in the house. Like.....our position on the UN, the Gross National Product, etc. DW makes all the small ones. Like what cars we drive, where we live, want vacations we go on, and....in this case....what hotels we stay in. :o

I was referring to the Marriott Harbor Beach. Check the rates on that for next February. Bid 3* on Priceline. You will get either the Marriott Harbor Beach or Renaissance. I usually get them for about $80 in season and $60 in the Summer. It's not a last minute thing. I usually bid about 2-3 months ahead of time. Some people book a room directly and then cancel when their Priceline bid is accepted.

I was referring to the Marriott Harbor Beach. Check the rates on that for next February. Bid 3* on Priceline. You will get either the Marriott Harbor Beach or Renaissance. I usually get them for about $80 in season and $60 in the Summer. It's not a last minute thing. I usually bid about 2-3 months ahead of time. Some people book a room directly and then cancel when their Priceline bid is accepted.

Correction - If you bid 3* you will get either the Marriott Marina or Renaissance. Marriott Harbor Beach is a resort hotel and I do not believe anyone has had any success recently getting this hotel on Priceline.

Marriott Harbor Beach is 4-star Resort "beach" zone.

Marina Marriott is 3-star, Renaissance is 4-star, both in "downtown" zone.

With tourism up, and the King Tut exhibit in Fort Lauderdale, prices are WAY up this winter/spring. Many dates are already sold out, even at the astronomical rack rates some hotels are getting.

wowzo - Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street is $128 for that night, and is a nicer place, great location, just a couple of blocks east on SE 17th Street... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Extended Stay America (next door to Holiday Inn Express) is another nice inexpensive option... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

AmeriSuites is normally much cheaper on Valuetrips, but they don't have their 2006 rates out... http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Hi Everyone,

Shaver. I have stayed at the Marina Mariott before and it is a wonderful hotel. We specifically wanted a room where we could see the ships-It was our first cruise.

This time since the Westerdam will probably be parked near the Naval Station-we elected for a little less expensive. I got a room at the Holiday Inn Express for $88 which includes tax and breakfast for Dec. 10. ( You have to book online and prepay to get that rate.) The Holiday Inn Express is on 17th street causeway as well. It is next door to the Embassy Suites and across the street from the Renaissance and the Marriott, but within walking distance to the water taxi. Publix for last minute water and the Walgreen's.

It is probably not going to be as nice, but a clean bathroom and clean comfortable bed will suit me just fine. I'll let you know if I like it when I get back.

Kelly J

Archived