Friends of Bill W

lovetocruise25

I am going on a Carnival Cruise later in the year. A Family Member that is Joining us is a recovering addict. He is Nervous about being around the party culture on board. Would it be Proper for him to attend the Friends of Bill W ? or are these meetings only for AA

I always though they were combined meetings at sea: AA, NA. GA & OA. The steps are the steps.

If you are generally strong enough to be out of the 1st & toughest few months of the programs, you can probably mutually support anybody for a few days at sea. I would make sure your family member has a good way to communicate with his sponsor.

Friends of Bill W. is for anybody who is on a twelve-step based program. When we've attended, there have been people from alcohol, narcotic, food, nicotine, sweets, and several other addiction groups in attendance, in addition to their family members. So it may be a considerably different experience than what you're used to.

It's an open group so everybody is welcome. With this format, the addict can get added support from their loved ones, which is crucial to beat the addiction. At the same time, the family members can have a much clearer understanding for the disease and how they can be a positive influence instead of being part of the problem.

Do understand that attendance can be hit or miss, so be ready for some meetings to be full, while you may be the only one showing up for the next one!

Edited by MargieWY

I am going on a Carnival Cruise later in the year. A Family Member that is Joining us is a recovering addict. He is Nervous about being around the party culture on board. Would it be Proper for him to attend the Friends of Bill W ? or are these meetings only for AA

The latest wording in the fun times is often "friends of Bill W and Jimmy K." Jimmy K was the founder of NA, so the meetings tend to be 12 step inclusive.

One lousy trend that I hope will go away, was the listing of meetings at the Café on deck 5, a public venue, on my last Valor cruise. Guest services told me not many people were showing up anyway, but if there was a fair amount, they could make the library or piano room available. The library is being focused as the photography sales office and carnival does not want to have it used in a non profit manner. Use it or lose it.

One lousy trend that I hope will go away, was the listing of meetings at the Café on deck 5, a public venue, on my last Valor cruise.

I've questioned Carnival's choice of venues too, specially when they schedule the meetings at a BAR, with alcohol bottles in plain view. It would be the equivalent of holding a food addicts meeting at The Golden Corral!

Edited by MargieWY

I've questioned Carnival's choice of venues too, specially when they schedule the meetings at a BAR, with alcohol bottles in plain view. It would be the equivalent of holding a food addicts meeting at The Golden Corral!

I can understand your concern. However, since there are open bottles of booze almost everywhere on a ship, I would question anyone who might be put off by their sight not to cruise. Maybe they aren't ready yet.

My understanding of successful AA is that persons once addicted to alcohol would be able to function normally in society and neither be attracted nor repelled by alcohol. "A position of neutrality" and being "happy, joyous and free" are promised in the literature.

I had been in the field of addiction counseling for 20 years and have watched many former clients achieve this freedom. I know of several tavern owners who hold AA meetings in their bars or on their property.

Edited by evandbob