Has Carnival Victory broken down in Cozumel

BermudaMom

They weren't abandoned. The ship was right there and not going anywhere. Go to one of the several restaurants and eat dinner. Do some more shopping and have some fun. Speaking from experience, it is best to have something go wrong while in port and not out at sea.

And some likely didn't even know what was going on due to the lateness of the scheduled departure. They were back on shore enjoying themselves.

The one point that this poster has made that I do agree with is that Carnival should have had some level of food service (perhaps leaving the buffet open later - even if they scaled down the number of food items) for all those forced to wait to get back on the ship.

And how exactly were they to leave the buffet open? They lost power and were not able to cook remember? And once power is restored, how easy do you think it is to prepare food for nearly 3000 people? They are up 24/7 cooking normally, and this event would have put them at a Zero hour start..

I am certain, it was inconvenient for everyone... but you have to think of both sides of the coin.

Edited by poison7fl

They weren't abandoned. The ship was right there and not going anywhere. Go to one of the several restaurants and eat dinner. Do some more shopping and have some fun. Speaking from experience, it is best to have something go wrong while in port and not out at sea.

No kidding... If I heard I was "stranded", i'd turn right back around with a smile and say.... see ya in a few, honk when ready.... It's not like the Titanic and people were clinging to lifeboats.

What compensation are you looking for?

If they had no power, they had no power to cook and put on a fancy buffet for you and 2700+ passengers upon re-embarking.... be realistic. I am sure they did their best, but with unexpected issues like this, they have little options. Do you think they would call the local Domino's and say, yeah... well we kinda need 3000 pizza's and make it quick. An standing in line for 2 hours is moronic.... I'd be sitting and watching from the bar or restaurant, or just chilling on a bench until the line dwindled down... people need to make such issues about these things. Yes, I am sure it was very inconvenient, but I am sure people like you made it more difficult for the rest...

Had an old guy on my cruise a couple of weeks ago ranting and raving in the Platinum lounge waiting to get off because he had 33 cruises with Carnival and it wasn't fair that he had to wait to get off the ship after the self assist'ers.... downright tragedy, he wouldn't shut it, so I had to intervene and put him back in his place, because he was tearing up one of the young entertainment staffers.... and of course, it was only 7:30am, but he couldn't believe that we were forced into "third class treatment..."

Stranded for a few hours in a carribean port... oh darn... let's go shopping some more, or have another beer..

Can't wait for some of these cruisers to get home and start hitting up Cruise Critic...

Respectfully, you are conflating transportation with hospitality. If this was a bus that had a flat tire, then I have no qualms about the "suck it up" response. However, cruise lines hold themselves out as hotels-on-the-sea, so some compensation should be extended. I would expect nothing less if Hilton lost power for hours and I was unable to get to my room.

Edited by Son of a son of a ...
Typo

It sure was a long day in Cozumel. Between 3 - 4 pm the ship lost power to majority of its services. The power was not fully restored until about 9pm. At this point although power was restored the ships network was still down. The line to board the ship was 2+ hours as they only allowed their 2700+ passengers to board 5 people at a time as they took everyone's information by hand. The metal detector was broken so passengers were wanded and frisked slowly. By the time most passengers boarded it was after 10 pm and they had closed the resturant and majority of buffets. If you were ok with some truly half-azzed pizza or burned burgers and dogs then you wouldn't have to starve, otherwise you were out of luck. It took until around 11:30 before internet was restored. My 75 year old parents who were watching our 5 children were relieved to finally hear from us 5.5 hours after our missed checkin. The boat has left port safe and sound however the crew and management have done absolutely nothing to compensate the 2700+ passengers for this incredible and significant inconveinace. Needless to say we will not be travelling with carnival again after this and many other grievances. I will be writing reviews on every cruise site I can find upon completion of this voyage. Truly truly disappointing.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I can understand how it might put a damper on anyone's vacation.

Wow - the people who want compensation are amazing.

Carnival did the best they could with no power. I'm sure their first priority was the SAFETY of their passengers. Having to take everyone's information by hand and wand everyone was for safety!

I would have been upset too about no food if I hadn't thought to eat while I was off the ship, but without power, what can they do?? Crappy pizza and burned burgers (if that was really true) would have been better than nothing!

Overall, I would have just been happy that I was safe and that the ship was safe to continue the cruise.

Carnival did the best they could with no power. I'm sure their first priority was the SAFETY of their passengers. Having to take everyone's information by hand and wand everyone was for safety!

I would have been upset too about no food if I hadn't thought to eat while I was off the ship, but without power, what can they do?? Crappy pizza and burned burgers (if that was really true) would have been better than nothing!

Overall, I would have just been happy that I was safe and that the ship was safe to continue the cruise.

It's funny... I gained 10lbs on my last cruise.... I could have done without food for a week and a half....

Exactly my point ... there is a shifting expectation in this industry. Some folks expect safety and service on par with a common carrier while others expect hospitality on par with land based accommodations. Neither is wrong because the cruise lines are working very hard to change expectations if they want to compete with terre firma vacations.

Originally Posted by KarenMF View Post

Exactly my point ... there is a shifting expectation in this industry. Some folks expect safety and service on par with a common carrier while others expect hospitality on par with land based accommodations. Neither is wrong because the cruise lines are working very hard to change expectations if they want to compete with terre firma vacations.

I would have the same expectations on a land based vacation - safety first!

If compensation is to happen, probably happening today while at sea. I'm sure the list to get a ship back up and running is quite extensive and compensation is not at the top. Priority is to get the ship ready to sail and everyone on board safely.

Look at the Royal's Majesty of The Seas, sprung an oil leak last Thursday and is scheduled to undergo an emergency dry dock on Monday. Guests on board missed ports and those boarding on Friday didn't leave port until 10pm. The Monday cruise was cancelled Friday night, many have lost their airfare and aren't getting anything back from Royal, unless they had insurance. These ships run non-stop, amazing that there aren't many more breakdowns.

Edited by Mr305

Just speaking out loud on thoughts as I really have no opinion since I wasn't there and can't speak to actually what happened.

Perhaps the poster who made first post and slammed carnival was standing in line or talking to others and people mentioned cruise critic. Thus his/ her post.

Seems there main complaint was lack of food. I think it's safe to say that everyone tends to get grouchy when they are hungry. Could have carnival done more, sure. Everyone keeps mentioning can't cook due to no power. What about all the other food that could have potentially been put out such as dessert type food, fruit and veggies, bagels, Etc I could go on and on. Perhaps that is all the original poster is saying and honestly it seems like it would have been a nice touch by carnival if this did/could of happened.

The long line, did carnival have people going up and down the line talking to people letting them know what was going on and empathisizing with them, maybe maybe not. But again would have been great gesture verse people just standing there.

The long line, were they handing out paper to fill out only when you got to kiosk to check in or were they handing out to the next 20-30 people to keep line moving.

The long line, did they have all enterances to the ship open or just using one? Only using one would be a big concern of mine.

Receiving compensation, carnival shouldn't comp. I guess people who say a hotel should come during an outage have no empathy to Mother Nature and things happening.

Hopefully we will hear from others to what happened and how carnival handled it. Maybe the poster isn't saying everything and carnival didn't do a good job, perhaps they did do an excellent job. Will have to wait to hear from others.

Is it always Carnival were these things happen a lot, cause i believe Carnival has a lot of problems:(

Or are accidents happening a lot on other companies aswell??

Our first-ever cruise was on the Serenade of the Seas back in February. About 3 weeks before we sailed, the Serenade had a major water leak a day before returning to NOLA that caused power to be out in around 400-500 cabins. The people who booked those cabins were not allowed to board when the Serenade docked and made ready to go out again. Took Royal Caribbean about 2-3 days to get everything back in order. So the answer is No, it happens to all the cruise lines...

And No, RCI did not cancel the cruise after the incident. They docked that morning, disembarked passengers, and then embarked the passengers that had rooms with electricity, and left that afternoon. Cruise was not canceled due to the power outage. The Coast Guard did an inspection and deemed the ship safe...

Edited by Raxter54

Respectfully, you are conflating transportation with hospitality. If this was a bus that had a flat tire, then I have no qualms about the "suck it up" response. However, cruise lines hold themselves out as hotels-on-the-sea, so some compensation should be extended. I would expect nothing less if Hilton lost power for hours and I was unable to get to my room.

But you know something? Life happens.

Events that have happened to me (on land) in 2015 alone:

1) Got to the airport two hours ahead of time to find mass chaos to check in to the flight. Stood in line to check in for an hour and a half and only got maybe half way through the line before they pulled us out of the line to make sure we made the flight. Reason--the airline's system went down. Using that same argument of being inconvenienced for a relatively short amount of time (the way the people on the cruise were by having to stand in line to get back on the ship), that airline should give me and my wife some sort of compensation.

2) Stayed at a hotel, and in the middle of the night, the fire alarm goes off, waking us up and prompting us to have to evacuate the hotel. After about half an hour, they tell us that the issue was that for some reason the dryer vent was pulling the hot air back into the hotel rather than out, prompting the alarm to go off.

We got nothing for either of these situations. Granted, we didn't ask for it, because life happens and we didn't expect it. Maybe if we had complained, we would have gotten something; but I would much rather enjoy life than find things to complain about.

I would have felt bad for the people on the ship if their vacation was cut short, and I sympathize with people "back home" with family and friends on the ship and understand their concern. But in the end, the people on Victory are on a cruise and they were merely inconvenienced for a couple of hours.

Is it always Carnival were these things happen a lot, cause i believe Carnival has a lot of problems:(

Or are accidents happening a lot on other companies aswell??

My sister was on a Holland America cruise to Alaska a few years ago and ship sat in first port_Ketchican- for five days and then passengers were flown home. No, it is not just Carnival.

So, I'm just thinking through this power outage thing.

I'm guessing that if you were not in your room when the power outage happened then you couldn't get into your room, as the card readers are electronic.

Wonder what happens to the room safes - if the power outage causes them all to "reset", and if your code disappears and you need assistance to get back into that.

I would also wonder - if you signed up for the text alerts when you did your on-line check in - if the guests received any texts while in port to let them know what was going on.

Curious minds want to know!

Definitely would wait to see if there was a credit towards my S & S card for reimbursement of missed meal. Thinking poster needed to wait longer than a few hrs before calling Carnival out fir no compensation. Went on the Triumph over Easter break and friends cabin had minor water leakage onto carpet. She never complained and room steward noticed it and put dryers on it. She got her bill at end of cruise and they had given her a $100 credit for the leak. Sometimes we tend to react out of frustration and I'm thinking that's what happened here.

But you know something? Life happens.

Events that have happened to me (on land) in 2015 alone:

2) Stayed at a hotel, and in the middle of the night, the fire alarm goes off, waking us up and prompting us to have to evacuate the hotel. After about half an hour, they tell us that the issue was that for some reason the dryer vent was pulling the hot air back into the hotel rather than out, prompting the alarm to go off.

[/Quote]

That happened to us when I was a kid and we were staying in a condo on the beach in Galveston. This particular condo had a set of bunk beds and the top bunk didn't have a railing (not sure why, though). When the fire alarm went off, I freaked out and fell out of bed and hit the floor about six feet below. Ow.

We found out a couple hours later that some idiot teenager had pulled a fire alarm.

..... Go to one of the several restaurants and eat dinner. Do some more shopping and have some fun. ......

The problem for many is that they are wiped out from a day in the sun, or already hit their budgets from drinking and shopping. Its 100% to be expected that folks will be cranky. Especially if they were exhausted and hungry.

Its much easier for those who were not there to condemn the people complaining. GO do more shopping or go out to eat are not acceptable answers for folks who are already spent, financially and physically. As fun as that answer sounds, its not doable for many I am sure. Imagine if Carnival came on the PA and told folks to just to back into town and eat out , shop and drink more? They would be fairly angry.

Yes it best that it happened in post, they got very lucky. Many here are absolutely incapable of being empathetic in trying to view how someone might feel about something when they are stressed and tired.

Could Carnival have done something? Sure, all lines could step it up when crap happens but nearly all of them don't. I wouldn't expect a budget line like Carnival to do so given that the more expensive lines do not either.

Just because Carnival couldn't or wouldn't if when they are justified in their decision is no reason to be harsh on the folks who were directly affected and upset. Have a little sympathy and just understand they were very stressed and venting.

I feel really bad for the Guest Services folks right about now. Whooboy the earfuls they are getting must be epic.

All in all I would be glad they wanted safety first but I sure as heck can understand why many would be upset and ticked off about the situation. I sure as heck wouldn't condemn those who were

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

The problem for many is that they are wiped out from a day in the sun, or already hit their budgets from drinking and shopping. Its 100% to be expected that folks will be cranky. Especially if they were exhausted and hungry.

Its much easier for those who were not there to condemn the people complaining. GO do more shopping or go out to eat are not acceptable answers for folks who are already spent, financially and physically. As fun as that answer sounds, its not doable for many I am sure. Imagine if Carnival came on the PA and told folks to just to back into town and eat out , shop and drink more? They would be fairly angry.

Yes it best that it happened in post, they got very lucky. Many here are absolutely incapable of being empathetic in trying to view how someone might feel about something when they are stressed and tired.

Could Carnival have done something? Sure, all lines could step it up when crap happens but nearly all of them don't. I wouldn't expect a budget line like Carnival to do so given that the more expensive lines do not either.

Just because Carnival couldn't or wouldn't if when they are justified in their decision is no reason to be harsh on the folks who were directly affected and upset. Have a little sympathy and just understand they were very stressed and venting.

I feel really bad for the Guest Services folks right about now. Whooboy the earfuls they are getting must be epic.

All in all I would be glad they wanted safety first but I sure as heck can understand why many would be upset and ticked off about the situation. I sure as heck wouldn't condemn those who were

I agree to a point. We are Mr Sanchos aholics when we go to Cozumel and when we are done there I can't wait to get back on the boat to shower and rest up before dinner. So yes I'd be a little upset but in no way be ticked off or upset with Carnival. Cars break, planes break and every now and then there are mechanical issues with cruise ships. It happens. I would have found a place by the port to relax and made the best of it. To go to guest services over this is ridicules. But you are right, I feel sorry for GS right now on the Victory.