Hotel rewards on stays booked as part of a cruise/tour

ewizabeff

With so many cruise/tours (especially pre/post extensions) including hotel stays, do you know if it's possible to earn credit within that hotel's loyalty program (either points for the night or a "paid night" credit towards status)?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if hotels tend to recognize the status of their guests when they're booked as a part of a group tour (potential upgrades, etc.).

I'm planning to ask my TA about this topic next week, and I'll try to pass on our frequent guest numbers for the hotels we're staying at, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone has any first-hand experience with this.

With so many cruise/tours (especially pre/post extensions) including hotel stays, do you know if it's possible to earn credit within that hotel's loyalty program (either points for the night or a "paid night" credit towards status)?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if hotels tend to recognize the status of their guests when they're booked as a part of a group tour (potential upgrades, etc.).

I'm planning to ask my TA about this topic next week, and I'll try to pass on our frequent guest numbers for the hotels we're staying at, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone has any first-hand experience with this.

Hi Ewizabeff....I've tried it and succeeded and I've tried it and failed. I think it depends on the desk clerk and the hotel policy. I have Hilton Honors, Marriott and Starwood and I've used them on river cruises. In Budapest and Prague they accepted the Hilton card and in Bucharest they accepted my Marrriott and gave me points. In Brussels the Hilton said they couldn't give me points because I was booked through a group rate. I always carry the card with me and when I check in I ask if I can use it...the worst that can happen is they say no.

I was unable to use my Hilton loyalty card at the Prague Hilton.

Because these rooms are part of a discounted room block reserved and paid by the cruise line and not the guest, no points are earned.

We also did not get the upgrade amenities with Hilton that we normally do.

We did provide our Hilton number so that we got points for the few incidental charges we had.

Thanks for the input so far. Any experience with IHG or Hyatt? That's where we'll be staying on our upcoming trip.

I understand that in the eyes of the hotel the cruise line paid for the room, but with the rate I'm paying, it sure feels like I am!

I understand that in the eyes of the hotel the cruise line paid for the room, but with the rate I'm paying, it sure feels like I am!

Also worth remembering that when booking 'extra days' through your cruise line, the rate they charge you will bear no relation to the rate they pay the hotel.

So the pain you feel will have little bearing on things :)

Can't help with IGH or Hyatt, but I did have a little success with SPG, no points but we did get a better room.

I have had success with Hilton, especially when I have gone in 1 day early. Sometimes I've booked through the tour company and sometimes I've booked on my own. I have also gotten the perks that go with my Hilton status. I guess it really depends on the clerk. What I've often done is contact the hotel directly, before check in, and provided my Hilton or other rewards club number. I've not been denied so far.

I have had success with Hilton, especially when I have gone in 1 day early. Sometimes I've booked through the tour company and sometimes I've booked on my own. I have also gotten the perks that go with my Hilton status. I guess it really depends on the clerk. What I've often done is contact the hotel directly, before check in, and provided my Hilton or other rewards club number. I've not been denied so far.

Since points are given based on dollars spent, I am wondering how your points were calculated? Or did you only receive points for the night you actually paid for and your incidentals?

Since points are given based on dollars spent, I am wondering how your points were calculated? Or did you only receive points for the night you actually paid for and your incidentals?

I got points based on room rate charged for my room in Cairo without extra days. I don't remember how they calculated Prague and Budapest, but I probably shouldn't count the Marriott in Bucharest because they were running a special promotion for signing up, which included points and free Wifi.