Debarkation Tips for Early Flight Home -- Freedom Port Canaveral

We wanted a nonstop flight home after our trip on Freedom (Eastern 4/19), so booked an 11am departure out of Orlando. After reading others’ comments about how to efficiently get off the ship and get to the often crowded Orlando airport, I started to worry, so we planned strategically. Here’s what we did, and were actually having breakfast AT OUR SOUTHWEST GATE by 8:10am! It was so surprising, that I wanted to share how it all worked for other travelers.

1) Self-assist debarkation (don’t turn in your luggage but carry it yourself).

2) At 6:20am, we went down to the Schooner bar (deck 4). While people were sitting there waiting, a line was forming at the outside exit door right around the corner (by the theater entrance). We jumped in and were about 10th in line to exit. By 6:45, that line wound all the way down the hall for quite a while, so that early line up made a huge difference. Hubby watched the luggage while I ran to the Promenade for coffee. They also had pastries but no fruit (I had grabbed an apple the night before, as we didn’t want to get stuck in the Windjammer).

3) Just before 7am, the line started moving, and we noticed that a similar line was exiting from the opposite side (Boleros area). Everything was ramps (no escalator or stairs), so juggling luggage wasn’t bad.

4) By about 7:05, we were in line for customs with only about 6 people in front of us. There were enough stations open that the wait was minimal.

5) I had reserved a town car from Mears Transportation for the four of us for $141, with a pick up time of 8am. I didn’t want to wait for a shuttle or a bus to fill up when we were in a rush. I called the driver, as I had no clue where to meet him and it was still 50 minutes early. There’s a special line for pre-arranged transportation, and he was one of three cars already waiting. He had an iPad with my name on it in the windshield. He explained that they leave for pick up at 6am, so if there is any problem arriving, there is plenty of time to send an alternate vehicle. He was hanging out in the car doing paperwork when we arrived. Within seconds, we were loaded into the car and on our way.

6) Doug (the driver) dropped us at the Southwest curbside check-in (again no line whatsoever), and they also gave us our boarding passes.

7) Security was probably the longest wait (5 minutes?). We jumped in the left hand security station but picked the shorter line (on the right). DON’T!! It turned out that one snaked all the way down a long hall to join the far right security station… ridiculous! If we had waited for a few more people to have their documents checked, we would have been even earlier through the screening. There was a K-9 patrol on site, so we didn’t have to take laptops out, remove shoes, etc.

I fully imagine that lines would have been pretty chaotic had we waited an extra 30-45 minutes to exit the ship – from customs, locating our vehicle, airport, etc. Get up early, sleep on the plane! It will be well worth the time and effort if you’re heading out early.

we will be driving home (8 hours) but want to make sure to feed the kids before hand and still get an earlier start... this will be our first cruise on FOS in the fall, do you know what are breakfast choices will be? TIA :)

we will be driving home (8 hours) but want to make sure to feed the kids before hand and still get an earlier start... this will be our first cruise on FOS in the fall, do you know what are breakfast choices will be? TIA :)

Windjammer and the Main Dining Room will be open on disembarkation morning.

Thank you.. do you know what time generally we would have to be out of our room with our bags?

They don't really have a fixed time, we usually try to get out by 8:30am. Self-assist guests are leaving the ship much earlier, probably starting 6:30am to 7am.