speculation on change to the vifp program past guest party

I can understand being disappointed in the change for Gold level members but the level of anger and hostility that some people are showing over the loss of a rum punch and some chicken croquettes is kind of scary.

I know. But if you never cared for those parties and don't go or if your platinum and you still can go then it's hard to relate. When you're un-invited to a party people do take it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand being disappointed in the change for Gold level members but the level of anger and hostility that some people are showing over the loss of a rum punch and some chicken croquettes is kind of scary.

It is not so much the loss of the party with drinks and food, it is after all only 45 mins out of a cruise. I think the big issue with most of us who are upset is what Carnival threw back at us, ( a drink coupon, restricted to after 5pm on the last day of the cruise) That to me is an insult.

Also the selfish reaction of many of the platinum and diamond members of this board who say they are so happy that we are now barred from the party. That is not Carnival's doing, but it sure does show the true colors of some of the frequent platinum/diamond posters on this board.

you may find that scary, maybe it is. I speak only for myself.

I know. But if you never cared for those parties and don't go or if your platinum and you still can go then it's hard to relate. When you're un-invited to a party people do take it personally.

Some people may take it personally but this is a business, not your best friend. The ones that take it personally may want to reevaluate their life a bit...IMO. :rolleyes:

It is not so much the loss of the party with drinks and food, it is after all only 45 mins out of a cruise. I think the big issue with most of us who are upset is what Carnival threw back at us, ( a drink coupon, restricted to after 5pm on the last day of the cruise) That to me is an insult.

Also the selfish reaction of many of the platinum and diamond members of this board who say they are so happy that we are now barred from the party. That is not Carnival's doing, but it sure does show the true colors of some of the frequent platinum/diamond posters on this board.

you may find that scary, maybe it is. I speak only for myself.

If a person only drinks one drink (as myself) it's a wash. One drink in a crowded, noisy room or one drink in a lounger watching a movie on the big screen. The only people I can see being upset (not sure how anyone could feel insulted) are the ones are those who try to drink as many free drinks as possible in that 45 minute period.

Some people may take it personally but this is a business, not your best friend. The ones that take it personally may want to reevaluate their life a bit...IMO. :rolleyes:

You are absolutely right. It is business. When several loyal customers feel slighted (regardless of whether you think it's justified) then it's a bad business decision. Perhaps the cost savings of excluding the Gold members will eventually outweigh the loss of good will and the lost opportunity to promote loyalty to the Carnival brand but I doubt it.

You are absolutely right. It is business. When several loyal customers feel slighted (regardless of whether you think it's justified) then it's a bad business decision. Perhaps the cost savings of excluding the Gold members will eventually outweigh the loss of good will and the lost opportunity to promote loyalty to the Carnival brand but I doubt it.

In a local mom & pop store, a slighted customer may hurt the buisness. At this time, Carnival has no problem replacing a slighted customer. And something that has been stated already, Carnival doesn't want the repeat customers, they want the newbies who spend more money on ship. Heck it's in Carnival's interest to get rid of repeat customers as much as possible.

Exactly!

In a local mom & pop store, a slighted customer may hurt the buisness. At this time, Carnival has no problem replacing a slighted customer. And something that has been stated already, Carnival doesn't want the repeat customers, they want the newbies who spend more money on ship. Heck it's in Carnival's interest to get rid of repeat customers as much as possible.

I highly doubt if Carnival would agree that they do not want the repeat customers. If they did they would have a party for the newbies and ignore the returning customers. It would be a much smaller party because on every cruise I've ever been on the returning cruisers far outnumber the newbies. Carnival would never fill their ships if people didn't come back

It is more than several, and sometimes decisions reflect poorly for a brand. I doubt these moves are catostrophic, but certainly are annoying to many of the patrons.

It's the consumers personal perception and participation, so that makes it a personalized program coming from a business entity. I see posters taking that out of context now.

Edited by eponym

And something that has been stated already, Carnival doesn't want the repeat customers, they want the newbies who spend more money on ship. Heck it's in Carnival's interest to get rid of repeat customers as much as possible.

I disagree with you on this. If Carnival doesn't want repeat customers, why do I keep getting sale ads from them? Why did I get "free cruise" from them? There isn't a day/week that goes by where I don't get an ad from Carnival with their ongoing sales. Just today "Hurry sale ends today!" What's the purpose of these ads - duh, to get me, the repeat customer to book a cruise. Oh and they gave us a $100 OBC. Wow, a gift that they didn't want to give me! You don't make any sense with your thinking here. Carnival or any business does not care who you are, they only care that they can get your money into their hands. They'll find little gimmicks to get you on the ship. Whether it be a free drink, FTTF, free laundry, or whatever they choose to spring on us. Pretty basic Econ 101.

One more thing. When I book a cruise using my Discover card, I get 5% cash back. It's a gimmick to get me to book a cruise using Discover's travel agency. I bet there would be someone here crying that they should get 5% cash back because I have an advantage over them. It's called the free market. Sign up for a card and you'll receive the cash as well. Maybe some people are just better at getting the candy than others. Rack up the cruises and enjoy the benefits that the company doles out.

Edited by elliair

Don't worry, they will take those away from you too in time.

LOL! I give my chocolate covered strawberries to the cabin steward. I don't eat the cookies or drink the lemonade in the lounge - too much sugar. I don't do the free laundry as I don't like other people touching my undies. I don't care about the pins or whatever free gift they're handing out. I have a slot in my jewelry box filled with pins. I'm getting ready to donate them to the thrift store here. BTW, I see Carnival gifts at thrift stores all the time - hats, cups, and glasses. A free drink coupon is okay with me, we'll use that. A free meal in the steakhouse is okay with me, it's something we would enjoy. We get that on Princess sometimes and it's a nice gesture.

Exactly. Carnival made it loud and clear how much they appreciate my repeat business. I even called Carnival yesterday. No response.

Right now my vacation dollars are looking for a new home. Our cruise is paid for and we will definitely enjoy it. But Carnival put themselves at the back of the line for our next vacation.

You'll find another loyalty program wherever you decide to vacation. Business strive and survive on repeat business. We rack up points whenever we fly Southwest, we rack up rewards points whenever we stay at a Hilton or a Best Western. We just got an offer from the Peppermill in Reno for free rooms - 2 night stay. Our friend didn't get one so they stayed some where else. Reward programs are every where. To quit a cruiseline over a party seems a bit childish to me. The smoking policy of Carnival did me it for me, but when they changed it, I applauded them and now I'm back cruising on Carnival. Others who smoke said they'd go else where. Well, good riddance. JMHO.

I highly doubt if Carnival would agree that they do not want the repeat customers. If they did they would have a party for the newbies and ignore the returning customers. It would be a much smaller party because on every cruise I've ever been on the returning cruisers far outnumber the newbies. Carnival would never fill their ships if people didn't come back

I disagree with you on this. If Carnival doesn't want repeat customers, why do I keep getting sale ads from them? Why did I get "free cruise" from them? There isn't a day/week that goes by where I don't get an ad from Carnival with their ongoing sales. Just today "Hurry sale ends today!" What's the purpose of these ads - duh, to get me, the repeat customer to book a cruise. Oh and they gave us a $100 OBC. Wow, a gift that they didn't want to give me! You don't make any sense with your thinking here. Carnival or any business does not care who you are, they only care that they can get your money into their hands. They'll find little gimmicks to get you on the ship. Whether it be a free drink, FTTF, free laundry, or whatever they choose to spring on us. Pretty basic Econ 101.

One more thing. When I book a cruise using my Discover card, I get 5% cash back. It's a gimmick to get me to book a cruise using Discover's travel agency. I bet there would be someone here crying that they should get 5% cash back because I have an advantage over them. It's called the free market. Sign up for a card and you'll receive the cash as well. Maybe some people are just better at getting the candy than others. Rack up the cruises and enjoy the benefits that the company doles out.

Okay, let me rephrase. They value newbies more (Blue and Red) who haven't figured out how to do things on their own more than they value return customers. Yes, they want everyone but would prefer those who don't book excursions off the ship, learned how to smuggle, etc.... They prefer newbies to someone who has cruise 10 times with them.

Oh, and the reason you get ads is because you gave them your email address. Pick anyone you know who has never sailed with Carnival, give them that person's email address and they will get as many emails as you do. Just because you're getting emails doesn't make you special to Carnival......they're just hoping to get more money out of you. ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

Okay, let me rephrase...

They prefer newbies to someone who has cruise 10 times with them.

As I follow the threads and the posts on this board, you make less sense to me.

Their programs, and in SPECIFC their VIFP loyalty program, SAYS COMPLETELY THE OPPOSITE.

Edited by eponym

You'll find another loyalty program wherever you decide to vacation. Business strive and survive on repeat business. We rack up points whenever we fly Southwest, we rack up rewards points whenever we stay at a Hilton or a Best Western. We just got an offer from the Peppermill in Reno for free rooms - 2 night stay. JMHO.

And, my credit card used to pay for ANY and all of those things gets points for redemption.. It doesn't care who I purchase or travel through.

You'll find another loyalty program wherever you decide to vacation. Business strive and survive on repeat business. We rack up points whenever we fly Southwest, we rack up rewards points whenever we stay at a Hilton or a Best Western. We just got an offer from the Peppermill in Reno for free rooms - 2 night stay. Our friend didn't get one so they stayed some where else. Reward programs are every where. To quit a cruiseline over a party seems a bit childish to me. The smoking policy of Carnival did me it for me, but when they changed it, I applauded them and now I'm back cruising on Carnival. Others who smoke said they'd go else where. Well, good riddance. JMHO.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You need to pick one.

On one hand you say Carnival wants new cruisers, not repeat cruisers. On the other hand, you try and insult me for not being happy with Carnival's business decision towards their Gold VFIP members.

It seems, you should be congratulating me for recognizing I'm not the kind of cruiser Carnival wants, a repeat customer.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I am flogging a dead horse..

Our 2nd cruise with Carnival we were Gold, went to the past guest party and had a really nice time.

They changed the levles and brough in the VIFP Gold to red, but we got a free drink coupon for a Sea day brunch.

We are Gold on our next cruise, and we once again are not invited to the party, and we get one free drink, in a bar on our last night of sailing after 5pm. My daughter enjoyed her smoothy in the sea day bruch..

Yes we get a gold pin, and a bottle of water. But it always seems to be one step forward three back with their program.

Edited by foxesden1

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You need to pick one.

On one hand you say Carnival wants new cruisers, not repeat cruisers. On the other hand, you try and insult me for not being happy with Carnival's business decision towards their Gold VFIP members.

It seems, you should be congratulating me for recognizing I'm not the kind of cruiser Carnival wants, a repeat customer.

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I was on a Princess Alaskan cruise. Carnival has a new program now called Fathom. No fancy programs, no free drinks, no free anything no matter how much you cruise. Just do your volunteer work and not even be recognized for it. Oh yeah, fork out $1600 of your hard earned money for that privilege. That my dear is insulting.:rolleyes:

Not one to gossip, but the one change we keep hearing may be coming, is not a good one. A smaller gathering.....

The size of the gathering is determined by the number of Platinum and Diamond guests on the ship. Went to the first one I have been to in 5 years and it was on the Breeze last week and done really well. The drinks were regular sized drinks, you could order what you want, and the eats were good as well. It was 45 minutes long and had about 200 people.

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I was on a Princess Alaskan cruise. Carnival has a new program now called Fathom. No fancy programs, no free drinks, no free anything no matter how much you cruise. Just do your volunteer work and not even be recognized for it. Oh yeah, fork out $1600 of your hard earned money for that privilege. That my dear is insulting.:rolleyes:

It's not a new program, it's a new Carnival Corporation cruise line. It has nothing to do with CCL.

Okay, let me rephrase. They value newbies more (Blue and Red) who haven't figured out how to do things on their own more than they value return customers. Yes, they want everyone but would prefer those who don't book excursions off the ship, learned how to smuggle, etc.... They prefer newbies to someone who has cruise 10 times with them.

Oh, and the reason you get ads is because you gave them your email address. Pick anyone you know who has never sailed with Carnival, give them that person's email address and they will get as many emails as you do. Just because you're getting emails doesn't make you special to Carnival......they're just hoping to get more money out of you. ;)

When your right you are right

It's not a new program, it's a new Carnival Corporation cruise line. It has nothing to do with CCL.

Yeah, but they would like EVERYONE involved. The Carnival name is being touted out there in radio land. Heard it again on KGO radio out of SF today on their travel show. They even mentioned the bad press Carnival has received in years past. People don't differentiate, between corporation or all of their entities, all they hear is Carnival.

How is Carnival Corporate name and Cruise Line any different than the Royal Corporate name and Cruise Line? Other than Celebrity leads the pack in Norovirus?

I do think Carnival Cruise Line prefers novice cruisers but tolerates well any who are not stuck in a rut and/or think they are entitled.

If this is true (and it most likely is not) you have a totally unique set of cruises. This statement is rarely true, on most normal 3 to 7 day cruises, about 1/2 of the passengers are blue card holders. Only on lengthy, unique, and usually inexpensive cruises returners are the norm.