White Pass RR and Rental Car

UFLaw

Hello,

I am considering booking my wife, DD (11) and DSs (11,9) on the White Pass RR and then renting a car to meet them in Fraser. We would then drive up to Emerald lake and explore (using Murray's guide of course).

Trying to get the best of both worlds.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so were there any issues or challenges? Is it easy to pick them up in Fraser?

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

Eric

Very simple, you will just wait for them in the Fraser parking lot. Book the one way Fraser White Pass tickets independent- direct from the White Pass RR.

The White Pass web page says the following for the Fraser 1 way:

Departures from Skagway at 7:40 AM and 12:10 PM require .5 mile bus transfer to train departure

Where do they get on the bus (and do they get on the bus at 7:40? )

Is a ship with a 7:00 scheduled arrival, early enough to allow passengers to get off and get to the bus/transfer?

Thanks

Hello,

I am considering booking my wife, DD (11) and DSs (11,9) on the White Pass RR and then renting a car to meet them in Fraser. We would then drive up to Emerald lake and explore (using Murray's guide of course).

Trying to get the best of both worlds.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so were there any issues or challenges? Is it easy to pick them up in Fraser?

We have done it several times and it is extremely easy.

Just be sure that everyone brings along a passport.

Be aware that the train ride up to Fraser is much, much slower than driving the car up. So drive very slowly and make multiple photo stops along the way.

Otherwise you will get up to Fraser long before the train and will be bored stiff sitting in the parking lot waiting for the train to arrive.

If a bus transfer is needed to get to the train departure point, they should tell you when and where to board the bus when you buy the train tickets, or you could call them in advance to ask.

The Fraser train station is just to the right of the road by the Canadian border stop. It would be impossible to miss it.

Doing it this way really does give you the best of both worlds, as you say, because you go at your own pace, stopping when and where you like for as long as you wish and returning when you are ready, rather than adhering to the schedule of a commercial tour guide.

Besides, with 5 people you will save a lot of money doing it this way.

Another advantage is that when you get back down to Skagway after you return from the drive, you still have the car if you want to go shopping or eat dinner in town.

So you can store your packages in the car instead of needing to lug everything around with you. Then you just drive over to the ship to drop off your packages and passengers before turning in the rental car.

Edited by varoo

The .5 reference is the Rail Yard, in Skagway. Being you have to pick up your tickets and get on the train, you haven't been there before? the 7:40a train, may be a rush.

also consider, the southbound train that leaves at 2:30p. This works out well time wise, plenty of time for the drive with lunch- I recommend the Chilkoot Bakery in Carcross. As long as you pick up the rental car early.

This is just what I was thinking about doing next year when we go back with our boys and their GF's, the wife and I are taking the train this June and wanted to do the same as your thinking, rent 2 cars and then meet the kids at the top and drive as far as we can in the 10.5 hours that we have. Thanks for asking the question UFLaw.

Budget Queen,

You bring up a good point taking the 2:30 pm train back down. A couple questions:

1) is the north or south bound train the better scenic route? I know they both go the same path however I was wondering if the view of things is better in one direction or another. Car vs train north/south?

2) is there sufficient time to get back for the southbound train if don't get out of Skagway till 815-830?

3) I have read that the Avis gets mobbed. Is it necessary to get to Avis at 730 am?

Thanks for the help.

Budget Queen,

You bring up a good point taking the 2:30 pm train back down. A couple questions:

1) is the north or south bound train the better scenic route? I know they both go the same path however I was wondering if the view of things is better in one direction or another. Car vs train north/south?

2) is there sufficient time to get back for the southbound train if don't get out of Skagway till 815-830?

3) I have read that the Avis gets mobbed. Is it necessary to get to Avis at 730 am?

Thanks for the help.

Both directions of the train are equally excellent. Views are DIFFERENT in my opinion, due to the direction. Emerald Lake, is about 75 miles so plenty to time for a boatload of stops, lunch and the ability to catch the 2:30p train. I have done this several times, again, last year. I think an early start is worthwhile to consider and yes, you are best to be in line around 7:30a, if you want one.

Is it easy to get tickets for the southbound trip on site in Fraser? Would we need to worry about it being sold out?

This would make it easier in the event the family wants to drive the entire trip.

Thanks again everyone!

Is it easy to get tickets for the southbound trip on site in Fraser? Would we need to worry about it being sold out?

This would make it easier in the event the family wants to drive the entire trip.

Thanks again everyone!

If, it's not important if you go or not, then walk up tickets would work. There is always the chance of trains being sold out, and with you only being there a single day, fewer choices you have.

If not accepting of the limits, buy your tickets in advance.

When we wanted to spend the morning in Skagway and take the 12:10 train, all we did was call the Skagway Avis office to let them know what time we would be picking up the car, and they assured us that they would hold it for us.

No problem at all. By the time we got to their office, the early morning rush was over and there was no line.

(Obviously, this only works if you are on one of the cruise ships that have a late departure time out of Skagway.)

If it is your first time, just ask them for a map and to mark the locations of the 2 gas stations in town for topping off the tank before you return the car.

If you return it after their office closes, you park the car in their lot and drop the keys into the box provided for that purpose.

Also, you have very light traffic on the highway when starting out later because most of the tours are long gone.

One way train info:

One-way Fares: $84 Adult and $42 Child

• Trip Duration: 1 hour and 45 minutes

(Note: this is what I was referring to when I previously said the train ride takes much longer than the drive, since the driving distance is barely over 20 miles.)

• All Fraser Service trains are wheelchair accessible. However, space is limited in lift-equipped cars. Please let us know when reserving your seats if you or anyone in your party will require the lift to get onto the train.
  • Complimentary Bottled Water
  • PASSPORT REQUIRED

Schedule

• Available: May 5 – September 24, 2015
  • NORTHBOUND: Departs from Skagway Depot at 7:40 AM or 12:10 PM
  • SOUTHBOUND: Departs from Fraser, BC at 10:20 AM or 2:45 PM (AK Time)
  • Departures from Skagway at 7:40 AM and 12:10 PM require .5 mile bus transfer to train departure
  • EXCEPTIONS TO SCHEDULE:
    • No Fraser train service on May 5, 8 & 15; September 18, 20 & 21.
    • The PM departures are not available on Sundays and May 9 & 18.
    • The AM departures are not available on September 19.

Source: Fraser One Way Service