Inspiration or Imagination for 4-day from Long Beach in July, is there a difference?

Utahrd

I am cheap and don't have much vacation time.

So I was looking into a 4-day cruise out of Long Beach because I can drive there.

My wife and I and our 2 kids, 13 and 10, would be going.

The price is the same on the Inspiration and the Imagination for the dates we would go on in July.

Is one or the other going to be less crowded?

They both have the same food and pretty much the same activities?

Are the interior cabins on both pretty much the same?

Almost no difference.

You can read my review of the Imagination here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2186027

I'm sailing on the Inspiration in two weeks and also writing a review even though I've been on the ship previously. However, I could literally swap out the thread title for the Imagination review and call it the Inspiration review and you couldn't tell the difference.

The main difference is the 4 night Imagination sailing is Sun - Thurs and the 4 night Inspiration sailing is Mon - Fri. Also, both have different Playlist Production shows.

Wow, that is an intense review. I thought I was thorough because I once took a picture of a condo's dishwasher for Tripadvisor. But you have me beat.

Bacon wrapped shrimp! Yum!

My wife and I are on a low-carb/Keto/Atkins diet. Can we ask for vegetables instead of potatoes at the American Table or other non-buffet restaurants? Or do they have everything made ahead of time?

It looks like you went while almost all kids are in school, which is how I would love to go.

Have you ever been on these ships during the summer? Do kids seem to be having a good time? And by "a good time", I mean willing to spend lots of time away from their parents..........

We have been on both ships- summer, spring break, and holidays. Didn't notice any main crowd differences.

We preferred the Imagination, though. The crew and service were much better, and we liked the shows better. Can't go wrong with either, but we just loved Imagination!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is an intense review. I thought I was thorough because I once took a picture of a condo's dishwasher for Tripadvisor. But you have me beat.

Bacon wrapped shrimp! Yum!

My wife and I are on a low-carb/Keto/Atkins diet. Can we ask for vegetables instead of potatoes at the American Table or other non-buffet restaurants? Or do they have everything made ahead of time?

It looks like you went while almost all kids are in school, which is how I would love to go.

Have you ever been on these ships during the summer? Do kids seem to be having a good time? And by "a good time", I mean willing to spend lots of time away from their parents..........

All the sides are separate now. And if you speak to the staff at the start of your cruise, you can alert them to any dietary needs. They will allow you to order in advance from the next day's menu. Speak to your Matre D when you board. Hours will be in your first Funtimes.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I'll put in my 2 cents, I'm single but have been on the Imagination & have sailed from LB.

I would say drive straight through to LB, stay night before, you can board the ship after it clears, since you have dining concerns, be on the ship by 2 as everything closes for mandatory lifeboat drill. Say goodbye to your kids as you'll probably only see them @ the drill, dinner or maybe breakfast, and @ night as I hear kids programs are that good.

The ships are very similar; we've sailed both multiple times and you really can't go wrong. Activities, cabins, etc. will all be comparable.

I will say that the Circle C counselor on the Imagination is the best youth programs counselor we have EVER had - his name is Scott and he is really fantastic. Your 13yo would be in that group. I know Scott's contract is up in July but I don't know when in July, sorry.

Have a wonderful vacation!

We prefer the Inspiration but have had a nice cruise on the Imagination. The ships are sisters. Only a few minor differences. One is their decor. The other is ATD.

Inspiration uses tablecloths, Imagination doesn't.

Inspiration used only the sides of the forward MDR for Anytime Dining. Imagination uses the whole forward MDR for ATD.

The aft MDR is just a PITA to find on the Fantasy Class. Mom still has issues after 10+ cruises.

If you are having 4 in the cabin keep the lowers as twins, one under the 'window' and the other along the wall. There are lights where the beds should go. We use Shoe Holders on the hooks next to the uppers. The upper row or so becomes the nightstand for the bunk.

Edited by SadieN

Look on the West Coast departure, California Coastal and Mexican Riviera boards for info.

We like to play miniature golf on Catalina Very good food at the Arcade in the Metropole building.

I was just on the Inspiration in August and overall it was fine. Our stateroom had been recently renovated and looked much better than the old peach decor. Bathroom was also much more modern.

Several of the public areas seemed very dated and the atrium in particular had a 1970s look even though the ship isn't that old. A few of the large etched mirrors were broken.

I wish the Paradise was still based in Long Beach, but Carnival didn't want to waste its good gas mileage on the short little cruises out of Long Beach.

I have enjoyed quite a few short close to home cruises. The ships are virtually twins, just a few tweaks in the decor here and there. With limited vacation time, I choose the Imagination when sailing for 4 days and the Inspiration when sailing for 3 days...simply because when I do it this way I lose the least amount of vacation time. I am 30 minutes from port and only need to take a half day for departure and with priority debarkation I can get to work on time upon return.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will going on the Imagination I am in the aft cabin 204. I have read review after review all saying the finding the MDR is very tricky. Looking at the deck plans it looks like I just can use the stairs and go up a few flights and the MDR is right there. I am wrong. We do have late dining.

Thanks for the info

Barbara

I will going on the Imagination I am in the aft cabin 204. I have read review after review all saying the finding the MDR is very tricky. Looking at the deck plans it looks like I just can use the stairs and go up a few flights and the MDR is right there. I am wrong. We do have late dining.

Thanks for the info

Barbara

There are 2 dining rooms. 1 is just off the atrium and the other is at the back. It is accessible only by elevator or stairs on deck 8. The problem with the back one is there no waiting area. Most people think they have to wait 15 or more minutes before their dining time in front of the stairwell and elevators as well as up the stairs.

If you end up at the rear dining room, just wait on deck 7 or 9 for about 5 minutes after they open the door. By then the mad rush for the tables should be over and you can leisurely walk in. If you have ATD, then you will be in the forward dining room.

There are 2 dining rooms. 1 is just off the atrium and the other is at the back. It is accessible only by elevator or stairs on deck 8. The problem with the back one is there no waiting area. Most people think they have to wait 15 or more minutes before their dining time in front of the stairwell and elevators as well as up the stairs.

If you end up at the rear dining room, just wait on deck 7 or 9 for about 5 minutes after they open the door. By then the mad rush for the tables should be over and you can leisurely walk in. If you have ATD, then you will be in the forward dining room.

Thank you we have late seating and I thought that I read that ATD was in the Pride (forward) and the spirit was for the set time dining.

These ships are much more similar than dissimilar although I will say the Lido Dining Room on the Inspiration where the hot buffet, deli, pizza and desserts are served is not as dark as that on Imagination. It's easier to see and select the foods presented there on the Inspiration. The Imagination has this whole Captain Nemo under the sea theme and trying to see in there is like looking through the sea. But hey, I've had plenty of fun on both.

Edited by sanmarcosman

These ships are much more similar than dissimilar although I will say the Lido Dining Room on the Inspiration where the hot buffet, deli, pizza and desserts are served is not as dark as that on Imagination. It's easier to see and select the foods presented there on the Inspiration. The Imagination has this whole Captain Nemo under the sea theme and trying to see in there is like looking through the sea. But hey, I've had plenty of fun on both.

Under the Sea or Under Ursula's Skirt. What a choice. :).

Does anybody know what those purple things on the Inspiration are supposed to be?