How to Cut Cravings???Recipes?

Susa

I've been told that my severe cravings for sweets can be hormonal.

I'm 47 and I have none of my own so must take HRT.

I've tried the pills that claim to block cortisol - don't work. Has anyone found anything that REALLY works to cut the cravings for sweets?

Anyone got good recipes using Stevia and almond flour??

Another thing that might be the culprit of your cravings is caffeine. If you do some research on it you'll find that caffeine causes your insulin levels to rise which in turn makes you hungry. I have a friend who has lost over 50 pounds and he swears that he could not control his weight until he cut out the caffeine. He now only has caffeine as a treat once a day. The South Beach Diet also says to limit caffeine to only once or twice a day for the same reason my friend gave above. You might cut out the caffeine for a week or so and see if it makes a difference in your appetite.;)

Another good alternative to Stevia is Splenda. Splenda is in lots of things now including diet coke, diet pepsi one, pillsbury ready to bake cookie dough, jello pudding cups, and lots of other things. It bakes great, and tastes just like sugar without the calories. If you go to Splenda.com you'll find lots of recipes using Splenda.:)

I pretty much gave up "sugar" when I got pregnant in 1989. For some reason, sugary foods were messing with sleep, energy and my moods, I believe. I had 2 immediate family members who were diabetic, so maybe nature was warning me. Anyway, I've slowly weaned away from processed foods, which includes "Lean Cuisine" and other dinners which include fillers, salt and sugar. I drink 6 oz daily fresh orange juice, which is way sweet with natural sugars. I also eat fresh berries and many fruits. The sweetness comes from fructose, not sucrose or corn syrup (which has a terrible effect on your system) You really have to check labels for added sugars. They are everywhere- even in canned goods. Though fructose is a simple sugar, when you eat fruits you are also getting vitamins, miinerals, fiber and a host of good things including antioxidants. Unless you are diabetic, you can safely have some fruit at each meal and as a snack. A lot of sweet foods are very high in fats, fruit has none. If you crave sweets, indulge your sweet tooth often with cherries, strawberries, orange slices, dried apricots, raisins, etc. be sure to check calories, but avoid low-carb diets which will limit the good sugars.

The more sugar I eat, the more I crave it :) So I had to cut that out or it never ends. It takes about 3-4 days of me restricting processed sugars before the cravings for chocolate etc diminish.

Anyways, Linda Sue's recipes are great. All the deserts that I've tried have been wonderful, and they're all low sugar/made with splenda. My favorite is the raspberry almond crumb cake, and my favorite main dish is the green enchilada chicken casserole.

http://users3.ev1.net/%7Efontlady/recipes.html

Also, the almond flour crackers on that site are pretty good too :)

Archived