Italy

Robin G

Hi - we have been to Italy a few times and saw most highlights. We are now scheduled on a Windstar cruise so many new ones for us. Any feedback on things you recommend (or we should skip) would be greatly appreciated.

Ports: Catania, Porto Empedocle, Trapani, Lipari - Sorrento which we HAVE done - Capri, I'm thinking the Blue Grotto is what I really want to see. A few Malta ports too.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - we have been to Italy a few times and saw most highlights. We are now scheduled on a Windstar cruise so many new ones for us. Any feedback on things you recommend (or we should skip) would be greatly appreciated.

Ports: Catania, Porto Empedocle, Trapani, Lipari - Sorrento which we HAVE done - Capri, I'm thinking the Blue Grotto is what I really want to see. A few Malta ports too.

Thanks in advance.

There's plenty to do in Catania itself but you could also go to Taormina or go up Mount Etna. You must try the cuisine while you are there as there are some things you won't find in the rest of Italy (or at least not as good!), such as arancini, granita, pasta alls norma etc.

There's plenty to do in Catania itself but you could also go to Taormina or go up Mount Etna. You must try the cuisine while you are there as there are some things you won't find in the rest of Italy (or at least not as good!), such as arancini, granita, pasta alls norma etc.

We would add that there are many more options for Catania than Taormina (we really enjoy this city). It is also possible to head south to Siracusa or inland to some gorgeous national park-type areas. We have also just spent an entire day walking miles within Catania which is an OK place. On another trip we found it convenient to just rent a car (reserved well in advance) from the Avis office located right at the port.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks so much, Taormina looks lovely. Any input on the other ports I mentioned?

We have been to Malta a few times. There are only two ports, one on the main island of Malta (Valletta) and the other on the so-called green island of Gozo (Mgarr). Valletta is a terrific port located right in the city (although you do have to get up the hill). There is much to see here but most would suggest that a first-time visitor focus on the old town of Mdina and some of the charms of Valletta. DW and I have driven all over this island (with a rental car) and that is also an option. There are also a couple of HoHo bus routes although the frequency of the buses (sometimes only once an hour) do put limits on how often you can hop off.

Gozo is a beautiful rural island that many of the Maltese (who live on Malta) call the Green Island. We have also driven this island where the major attraction is just the natural beauty and some of the fascinating coast line. The port of Mgarr is a bit isolated from the main city of Victoria so cruisers will want to find a way to get out of the port (there is a local bus) including some island tours.

Hank