First time single traveller

hazeypazey

Hi, can anyone help? My husband and I have cruised a lot over the last twelve years with P&O, Royal Caribbean and Princess. However next year our single daughter would like to come with us. Obviously she needs a cabin of her own and I m trying to find the best value trip. We would like to go to Italy and the Med, (she's and Art Buff!). I 've been told that MSC offer the best rates for singles, but I don't know anything about this line.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I feel like I am going round in circles? P&O say they have single cabins but I can't find how to book them. If I put 3 passengers in the search they offer me a shared cabin for 3. This is not an option as my husband says he will jump overboard if he has to share with two women. I would be very grateful for any help:confused:!

Look at the prices one cabin at a time. Most cruise lines charge double for solo occupancy on regular itineraries. For repositioning cruises they may ask less or no supplement. MSC of late have refused even to take a booking from solos at any price.

So, start with a solo occupancy booking/search. If a solo-cabin is not available at any price, there is no point in continuing.

Hazey,,try creating two separate bookings on MSC's website. The first for you and your husband,,,and the second for your daughter. If all else fails,,contact MSC or your travel agent directly and I'm sure one of them will be able to assist you.:)

Look at the prices one cabin at a time. Most cruise lines charge double for solo occupancy on regular itineraries. For repositioning cruises they may ask less or no supplement. MSC of late have refused even to take a booking from solos at any price.

So, start with a solo occupancy booking/search. If a solo-cabin is not available at any price, there is no point in continuing.

Very true Tim!!!! I forgot about that discrepency in the system!!:)

They used to be the best for solos (or at least in the UK they were) of late as Tim says, they no longer want our custom. This will be the first time in 10 years that I will not be sailing with them when previously I sailed at least twice per year. The US may not be so anti solos though.

That said, have started to see a few repos next year where they not only quote at solo occupancy but the supplement seems reasonable. Who knows it may be an "accident" on the website or they may have decided they will let some of us back onboard!

I've sailed solo with MSC several times back when the single supplement ranged from a low 30% down to zero. Now as Amomondo reports, such is no longer the case. The best advice would be to work with your travel agent who might be able to work something out for you with MSC.

Ive sailed with MSC twice and had fantastic 0% solo deals , but the deals seem to be less often now . Im due to sail on NCL Epic this time Ive booked a solo studio cabin so it might be worth looking at these,

We sail with our daughter - she gets a bedroom as so do we. Instead of booking two cabins work out how much it would cost to have one of the corner suites - it usually works out cheaper although since they brought in the "packages" bella, fantastica and aurea - these cabins only come on the "aurea" package so might work out dearer. they have worked for us as a cheaper option to two balcony cabins.