Baltimore cruise port and riots? Is it safe?

foundmyMcGyver

If there has already been a thread on this this I can't find it, sorry if its a repeat. We are sailing out of Baltimore in a few weeks and traveling with friends and my Husbands 80 yr old Mother. We are driving the night before from NH and are wondering if there has been any issues around cruise port area that put cruisers at risk. Thank you to anyone who can help with answers to this question.

If you were traveling today, I'd say be worried. But even by this weekend it should be fine. I work in a not very nice part of downtown (as in, somewhere that was smashed up last night) and I'll be back there as scheduled on Thursday. Also, the areas affected aren't exactly hotel locations. I wouldn't worry, unless things get a lot worse. Also, the cruise terminal isn't near anywhere - no homes or stores nearby, so it's not likely to be affected.

I'm sailing out on the 31st. My parents (close in age to your mil) are flying over from the uk to come with us. I skyped them today to make sure they weren't worried, so I get your concern.

Edit: just saw you're on the same sailing as us! Yay!

Edited by Izzybee

If you were traveling today, I'd say be worried. But even by this weekend it should be fine. I work in a not very nice part of downtown (as in, somewhere that was smashed up last night) and I'll be back there as scheduled on Thursday. Also, the areas affected aren't exactly hotel locations. I wouldn't worry, unless things get a lot worse. Also, the cruise terminal isn't near anywhere - no homes or stores nearby, so it's not likely to be affected.

I'm sailing out on the 31st. My parents (close in age to your mil) are flying over from the uk to come with us. I skyped them today to make sure they weren't worried, so I get your concern.

Thanks for the info of area around cruise port. We are excited to be bringing "Muumuu" as she has not been in a while and were are quite certain she won't be able to much longer due to her health. How exciting your parents are flying in for the cruise. Maybe we will see each other around? Are you part of roll call? Again thanks for the response

I believe now that the Governor has declared a state of emergency in the city, things will settle down. The people of the neighborhoods that are affected do not want the riots, it is a small number of agitators.

The port is not in the same area that is the primary target.

does anyone think they build cruise terminals in "the hood"? c'mon people, think!

I have booked with very nice hotel chains only to get there and find them to be in very seedy neighborhoods. My concern was that we are staying in a hotel we never stayed at before and wanted some info as I know it is close to cruise port. Which is why I asked "around cruiseport area". I know no one can get into ANY cruise port due to security so my concern was not the cruise port itself but our stay ahead of the cruise. c'mon read and we "do think" which is why we ask questions of concern for our Families!

I believe now that the Governor has declared a state of emergency in the city, things will settle down. The people of the neighborhoods that are affected do not want the riots, it is a small number of agitators.

Thank you so much for this info :-)

does anyone think they build cruise terminals in "the hood"? c'mon people, think!

Although there are some cities with world class facilities in nicely developed and touristy areas, many cities have cruise terminals in areas that are in the "not so nice" part of town. Many times, influential people don't want cruise terminals near them (in the nicer parts of town) so guess where they end up being built.

This was very evident a few months ago when I visited the cruise terminal in West Palm Beach, FL where the Grand Celebration sails from. Palm Beach is known as a destination for the rich and famous, with many areas where wealth is very evident. Well, the cruise terminal isn't even in Palm Beach. It's in Riviera Beach and you drive right through "the hood" to get there. It was one of the shadiest drives to get to any cruse terminal I've ever taken.

Edited by Tapi

Like I tell my daughter: if you get a flat, then drive on the rim until you get the heck out. This is going to get much worse if the internal investigation reveals otherwise. I'd start thinking about hitting the pause button if you plan to book a cruise out of this port.

I agree with you. We were looking at a cruise out of Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, our attention is now focused on other ports. We cruised out of San Francisco when they were shutting down freeways, etc. into the city and across the bay. We came in a day early (we're only 2 hours from San Francisco), but decided to be safe than sorry. Fortunately we didn't have any problems. These are really troublesome times we're living in.

the cruise port is right off 95 and not anywhere close to whats going on. what hotel are you staying at. most of the cruise and park hotels are not in the city and are by BWI airport which is not in the city.

I hope all is good for you to return to work. Watching news and wow it looks scary with lots of fires. My thoughts will be you and your family.

the cruise port is right off 95 and not anywhere close to whats going on. what hotel are you staying at. most of the cruise and park hotels are not in the city and are by BWI airport which is not in the city.

We are staying at Best Western Plus on Belle Grove Rd. Thank for some location info, I appreciate all who answered and understand what I'm seeing on news is just scary and was looking for some answers to ease my mind. I feel for everyone close to what is going on there and hope for peace as soon as possible.

We are staying at Best Western Plus on Belle Grove Rd. Thank for some location info, I appreciate all who answered and understand what I'm seeing on news is just scary and was looking for some answers to ease my mind. I feel for everyone close to what is going on there and hope for peace as soon as possible.

your hotel is in the BWI airport vicinity. you will be fine it is not in the city or anywhere close to what is going on. :)

I hope for all that this does stop soon. So sad there are some young people (not only in Baltimore) who think riots are the answer to what should be productive protesting to make changes and a difference. Now all anyone will remember is riots, fires and looting. The reason for the protests in the first place don't seem to really matter to those I see in these crowds. I saw some attacks on people coming out of Oriole stadium...so sad!

your hotel is in the BWI airport vicinity. you will be fine it is not in the city or anywhere close to what is going on. :)

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the information and help from many of you. I know this is a delicate subject and really do feel for those who are living near or around this.

Although there are some cities with world class facilities in nicely developed and touristy areas, many cities have cruise terminals in areas that are in the "not so nice" part of town. Many times, influential people don't want cruise terminals near them (in the nicer parts of town) so guess where they end up being built.

This was very evident a few months ago when I visited the cruise terminal in West Palm Beach, FL where the Grand Celebration sails from. Palm Beach is known as a destination for the rich and famous, with many areas where wealth is very evident. Well, the cruise terminal isn't even in Palm Beach. It's in Riviera Beach and you drive right through "the hood" to get there. It was one of the shadiest drives to get to any cruse terminal I've ever taken.

Very well said and so true. Happy and Safe cruising everyone!

...Tapi, this is quite true. We live about 20 miles from the Port of Palm Beach and used to go there often to take the evening gambling cruises. I grew up in New York and driving through rough areas normally don't bother me. But, when driving through Riviera Beach, even my "surroundings radar" gets turned on!

You will pass the cruise port as you drive south on I 95 it will be on your left side as you exit the Ft. McHenry tunnel. Your hotel will be about 20 minutes south of the cruse terminal.