Need help deciding on Hotel

WendyVF

We're cruising from San Juan on Adventure of the Seas. I'm having a hard time making a decision about a pre-cruise hotel. We are arriving 2 days early so will have time to explore and relax. We've currently got reservations at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. The Sheraton in Old San Juan is comparably priced. While I could lay around the pool or beach all day, DH isn't a fan of the sun but will sit in the shade and read while I'm in the sun. We've been to OSJ several times as a port but I'd really like to enjoy it when its not so crowded and try some of the restaurants and bars. I've read good and bad reviews on Trip Advisor about both so that's not really helping. I've checked the port calendar and it doesn't currently show any ships scheduled to be in port either day. There's a Celebrity ship scheduled to depart on the 31st so it may be a bit crazy at check out at the Sheraton.

Please help!

Is the Sheraton or Embassy suites the only hotels you are considering.

On our cruise in October, we decided on a guest inn right on the Ocean.

The Tres Palmas Inn. Great reviews on trip advisor. Great website of their own. Looks like they have a fabulous little suite that is oceanfront. Less expensive than either hotels you are looking at and includes breakfast. It is the only room that requires a min 2 nights booking.

Might be worth checking out. It is away from the hustle and bustle, but a short cab ride to anywhere of interest.

This is a totally different option. We have been to PR many times. Rent a car and stay at El Conquistador - absolutely fabulous resort. See if your stay coincides with a good time to kayak on the bio bay - spectacular experience. It is very close to El Conquistador. El Yunque is also an easy drive. Visit and walk the trail to the big waterfall and take a swim!

Depart for Old San Juan early on your day of departure. This will give you plenty of time to see the city and visit a fort. This plan will definitely make the most of your time in PR.

Another option, if you are are willing to consider something outside of OSJ, might be the Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites. While not on the beach it is only one block away and is in the heart of everything Condado has to offer; it's also a little closer to the Pan American Pier than some of the OSJ hotels. The price makes the BW+ a good value and it has favorable reviews on TripAdv....

We're staying there in late-June '15 for our AOS sailing.

Edited by jacketsfan

This is a totally different option. We have been to PR many times. Rent a car and stay at El Conquistador - absolutely fabulous resort. See if your stay coincides with a good time to kayak on the bio bay - spectacular experience. It is very close to El Conquistador. El Yunque is also an easy drive. Visit and walk the trail to the big waterfall and take a swim!

Depart for Old San Juan early on your day of departure. This will give you plenty of time to see the city and visit a fort. This plan will definitely make the most of your time in PR.

I second your idea! If you have been in OSJ a few times before than try something different. That's what we decided to do this time!

We were in San Juan last week. We rented a car with Charlies Car Rental and stayed at the Gran Melia in Fajardo. We got a great deal on Priceline and it's a great resort, right on a beautiful beach!

We went to the Bio Bay (20 min drive from the resort) which in my opinion is an absolute must because it's beautiful! The next day we drove to El Yunque (also about a 20-25 min drive from the resort) and explored the rainforest before boarding our cruise.

Depends upon what you're looking for and what is your budget....

We are staying at the El Convento, right in the heart of Old San Jaun pre-cruise....we've been to OSJ many times, but this will be a first were we are not worried about getting back to the ship amd really enjoy the town at our leisure.

After the Cruise we will spend a day at the Marriott, a beach resort....totally different experience from OSJ...so we will get the best of both.

It depends on what you envision doing.. if it is walking around OSJ, eating at local restaurants and enjoying the sites, then stay in OSJ.. it might be more expensive but will save you around $40 a day in cab fares to and from. If you want more of resort feel and beach time then stay on the beach. Depends on your preference and if you have seen the sites of old san Juan.. it really is beautiful, and I will say especially when there isn't a ship in port. We took a walking tour and that added so much to our enjoyment.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think we will enjoy OSJ a little more than the beaches. DH pointed out that we'll be on beaches at each port. Now that El Convento was mentioned, that is a definite contender as I can get a good price using my AAA discount.