Santourini Cruising

SeafordCruiser

Questions for those of you who have been in Santourini before...We are looking at island cruises..sunset..5 hours... that sound magnificent. One gets back to Fira by the cable car around 9, They other said I would be back on Constellation by 9:30??. Any problem then getting on the ship on time?? I think we leave at 10:00PM ?? Thanks I REALLY want to do one of these cruises...

Marcy

Edited by SeafordCruiser

I've been to Santorini but only once, and it was not at night. If I understand your info, you'd be dropped in Fira after the sunset cruise, which means you'll have to take the cable car down (make sure it's running that late!), and then get on the last tender to your ship, which will be out in the water, thus the need for tenders. Tendering is done by local boats, so make sure you understand when the last one is and that you can get down from Fira on the cable car (or walk, but in the dark, I wouldn't want to do this) and out to the ship. The timing sounds iffy to me, but hopefully my post will give you the things you should find out before choosing a tour. Also, is it possible that the boat that's being used could drop you off at the old port (Skala) near the bottom of the cable car - or wherever you pick up the tender boat to get back to the ship?

A sunset cruise does sound nice, but I'd be sure that you'd actually see the sunset or close to it, which could be pretty late in the summer, I would think. As an option, there are a couple spots in the town of Oia that appear to be popular for sunsets. Info is in tomsportguides.com, look for Santorini port guide. It's an old fort - but of course, it's reputed to be packed and for a spot to view the sunset, you need to get there early. Then you need to get back to Fira from Oia - not impossible, but I hear the public buses are crowded after sunset, so that's also something to think about.

Maybe there's a restaurant close to cliffside in Fira that will has a nice view of the caldera (water) and you could just sit there to catch a sunset.

Personally, I would choose a trip to Oia over a sunset cruise, but then that's me....and since I've never seen a Santorini sunset, I may be totally off base.