Which airport from World Cruise Center

Hello all,

I'm looking at a US & Canada Pacific cruise on NCL that originates in Vancouver and ends in Los Angeles.

From what I can find it looks like the pier in Los Angeles is the World Cruise Center in San Pedro CA.

Is this correct?

Also, regarding the airport situation it looks like LAX is about 20 miles (30 or so minutes) away

Or the Long Beach Airport is about 19-20 miles (25 minutes) away.

Is this also correct?

If so,

Is there one airport that is more desirable to take a flight back to the East Coast. I live near Boston Massachusetts and have never been to the West Coast so its all new to me. :D

I was also thinking of possibly staying in LA a day or two after the cruise then going home. Is there a reasonably priced hotel-for LA:eek:-that someone could recommend that's fairly easy to get to from the pier and is convenient to the airport?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Long Beach is closer and smaller but has few airlines and flights. Sometimes it can be a very good choice.

LAX is one of the largest airports in the world. Lots of airlines and flights.

NCL will sail from San Pedro. Only Carnival sails from Long Beach but sometimes other CCL lines make it a port stop.

The LA area is huge. The port is 30 minutes away from LAX. Need to decide what you want to do as you'll never see everything. Once this is decided then you can choose a hotel. Only advice is do not stay near LAX.

Edited by SadieN

Hello all,

I'm looking at a US & Canada Pacific cruise on NCL that originates in Vancouver and ends in Los Angeles.

From what I can find it looks like the pier in Los Angeles is the World Cruise Center in San Pedro CA.

Is this correct?

Also, regarding the airport situation it looks like LAX is about 20 miles (30 or so minutes) away

Or the Long Beach Airport is about 19-20 miles (25 minutes) away.

Is this also correct?

If so,

Is there one airport that is more desirable to take a flight back to the East Coast. I live near Boston Massachusetts and have never been to the West Coast so its all new to me. :D

I was also thinking of possibly staying in LA a day or two after the cruise then going home. Is there a reasonably priced hotel-for LA:eek:-that someone could recommend that's fairly easy to get to from the pier and is convenient to the airport?

Thanks in advance for all your help

The choice of flights issue will likely dictate you use LAX...Also, if you want to stick around and see a bit of LA, LAX is in the best location--on the West Side...

As to where to stay...you likely won't find it "reasonably priced", depending, of course, on your definition of reasonably priced. Los Angeles is a pretty expensive place. Most cheap hotels are cheap for a reason...as in DO NOT STAY there...

The questions to ask yourself are:

1). What do you want to see? ...and

2). How do you plan to get around?

If you plan on renting a car, you have a bit more flexibility on where you stay...

If you don't want to rent a car, your options are a bit more limited.

Personally, my highest recommendation, especially if it's your first visit, is to stay in Santa Monica...in the area near the Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade, Ocean Avenue...This is one of the best, most tourist-friendly areas of LA...because there are lots of things to do walking distance...and lots of restaurants, walking streets and nightlife...plus, the HOHO tour bus uses it as a hub...and all of the tour companies pick up at any of the hotels there...and the climate is the best in the area-- moderate temps...never too hot or cold, no smog..."A list" hotels are Loews, Marriott Le Marigot, Shutters at the Beach, Fairmont Miramar, Casa del Mar...Plan B would include the Huntley, Shangri La, Georgian, Wyndham...The CalMar is well located but kind of an old class B place, but more reasonably priced...the Doubletree and the Le Meridien Delfina are not quite as well located, a few blocks walk from things, but will do...

A slightly less pricey option would be to stay near Venice Beach/Marina Del Rey...look at the inn at Venice Beach, the Jamaica Bay Inn, Hilton Garden Inn Marina Del Rey, MDR Marriott. I believe the HOHO bus recently added a spur line down to Venice...and Venice Beach Boardwalk is definitely worth some time, especially when the weather gets warm...and lots of restaurant choices here as well (I highly recommend C & O Trattoria...on Washington at the beach).

To get to either of these areas, you will likely take a shuttle from the port...and a much shorter shuttle back to LAX when you're done...

Good luck...

Adding to the comments, JetBlue has a 930pm redeye out of LGB, nonstop to BOS and quite a few connecting flights. DL and AA (formerly USAirways) have a handful of flights too. That said, there are far more options out of LAX. Another possibility is SNA (John Wayne Orange County) if you find an exceptionally better fare or schedule. It's served by all the major airlines.

Note that Southwest does not fly into LGB.