So What Are All the Changes Anyway....?

kcwiak

True. All cruise lines do it. Only NCL has found a way to take it to the next level.

No, I think Royal takes it to the next level - at least NCL hasn't charge prices to the rock climbing wall and the plank yet.

No, I think Royal takes it to the next level - at least NCL hasn't charge prices to the rock climbing wall and the plank yet.

Nope. Not even close. Though Royals drinks prices are out of this world. Maybe go on a Royal ship and see for yourself.

I must be looking at it wrong.. should I be complaining too? Look at everything I get included in my cruise fare.

I booked a room on a ship that provides me a hotel and transportation to all these ports I would otherwise have to pay a fortune to travel between. On top of that, I get all my meals served to me including juice, milk and desserts and they throw in a fabulous chocolate buffet! OK, so I'm paying $12.95 a day for all this service but it is worth it. Heck I pay that much for just 1 dinner out at home - and I have to clean my own bathroom! :eek:

:D On top of that, throw in all this free entertainment, Broadway shows, magicians, comedy, movies, acrobats, piano lounge, sports and fitness, social events, dance lessons, dance parties, night clubs, karaoke, trivia games, social events, entertainment (babysitting) for kids of all ages. Do you know what a hotel babysitter or Broadway show costs on land? :eek:

I mean really... this is all included... you do not have to spend another dime ..... if you want to drink, gamble, get a massage or be driven around by an expert guide... then you'll pay, just like at your house. So what's the problem? :confused::confused::confused:

I must be looking at it wrong.. should I be complaining too? Look at everything I get included in my cruise fare.

I booked a room on a ship that provides me a hotel and transportation to all these ports I would otherwise have to pay a fortune to travel between. On top of that, I get all my meals served to me including juice, milk and desserts and they throw in a fabulous chocolate buffet! OK, so I'm paying $12.95 a day for all this service but it is worth it. Heck I pay that much for just 1 dinner out at home - and I have to clean my own bathroom! :eek:

:D On top of that, throw in all this free entertainment, Broadway shows, magicians, comedy, movies, acrobats, piano lounge, sports and fitness, social events, dance lessons, dance parties, night clubs, karaoke, trivia games, social events, entertainment (babysitting) for kids of all ages. Do you know what a hotel babysitter or Broadway show costs on land? :eek:

I mean really... this is all included... you do not have to spend another dime ..... if you want to drink, gamble, get a massage or be driven around by an expert guide... then you'll pay, just like at your house. So what's the problem? :confused::confused::confused:

The problem is what was included when we booked is not included now. And it seems to be changing weekly making it frustrating and difficult to plan and budget appropriately. We aren't made of endless amounts of money and I expect that the advertisements the company used to get me to book end up being the product provided when we get on the ship.

Who knows? By the time you actually sail those Broadway shows, magicians, comedy, movies, etc...may all incur a separate surcharge? Because they surely can and they have definitively proven that they will at any time with no notice.

We have canceled our next NCL cruise. I am here today reporting about more changes reported mid-cruise instead of NCL telling anyone. So take it for what it is worth. You aren't "getting what you paid for"

Edited by LoveyHowell

The problem is what was included when we booked is not included now. And it seems to be changing weekly making it frustrating and difficult to plan and budget appropriately. We aren't made of endless amounts of money and I expect that the advertisements the company used to get me to book end up being the product provided when we get on the ship.

What was taken away after people booked? I suspect - but only guessing, you could ask for whatever it was they might honor it? The same as you can refuse to pay the DSC.

I am a solo traveler with a tight budget so I thrift shop. I have to pay x2 for a regular room, pick a cruise with a studio room or travel in Dec. to take advantage of lower solo rates... so right there I'm already paying more than couples and families per person. I also pay the DSC up front and put on board credits on my account - budgeting what I expect to spend per day based on past cruising.

Who knows? By the time you actually sail those Broadway shows, magicians, comedy, movies, etc...may all incur a separate surcharge? Because they surely can and they have definitively proven that they will at any time with no notice.

We have canceled our next NCL cruise. I am here today reporting about more changes reported mid-cruise instead of NCL telling anyone. So take it for what it is worth. You aren't "getting what you paid for"

At some point all of this shake up will end I'm sure of that, but the cruise line industry is a fluid enterprise and can/will change very rapidly

(snip) On top of that, I get all my meals served to me including juice, milk and desserts (snip) I mean really... this is all included... you do not have to spend another dime ..... (snip)

Unless you're not feeling up to heading to the dining room at dinner time... then it'll cost you $7.95 to have dinner delivered to your cabin.

What was taken away after people booked? I suspect - but only guessing, you could ask for whatever it was they might honor it?

Dinner show included in dining packages and complimentary 24 hour room service to name two things quickly. I am sure people have asked to have those honored and been told "no". There are others takeaways and changes. It is well documented on this site.

The way NCL is implementing changes is just very off putting. So instead of being doormats for them we've decided to vacation with a different company that we trust more to deliver what they have advertised. Instead of fighting NCL to give us what they promised, it is clear they just won't honor their ads, so they don't get our dollars. It's a shame but that's how it has to be.

The NCL CEO, Mr. Del Rio said that they (NCL) needed $4 more per person per day. He implied that changes were coming to reach that goal.

At first I was put off by the lack of notice for these changes, but as many have said "this is a for-profit business." Issuing press releases would scare potential consumers. And, if it were a slow news day when the press release came out, can you imagine the headlines? "NCL Makes Sweeping Changes; Customers Get Stuck With the Bill".

People would cancel cruises. People would run to other cruise lines. People would opt for all-inclusive land-based resorts.

Or... NCL could quietly implement the changes and when the passengers get on the ship, have a good time and realize those $4 per day didn't matter; they would say "I still had a great vacation." I think that's the gamble Mr. Del Rio was making. Based on the "just back from [insert ship name here] threads on Cruise Critic, his gamble seems to have paid off. People don't like the increases/changes, but overwhelmingly, people are still having a great time on his ships.

Business-wise, I don't see how else NCL could have done these changes. Consumer-wise, more information (and advance information) is great. IMO, his announcing that he wanted $4 per person per day meant new charges were coming (we just didn't know what they would be). Now we do.

What was taken away after people booked? I suspect - but only guessing, you could ask for whatever it was they might honor it? The same as you can refuse to pay the DSC.

Kids no longer are charged half price in the specialty restaurants. One poster reported being chased down after leaving Le Bistro after paying and having to go back and pay the additional amt due to staff not being aware of the policy change.

I would be interested in a study where someone takes similar cruises on the leading cruise lines and buys the same amount of drinks, dinners, etc and keep a tally... it would be interesting to see how it compares.

The NCL CEO, Mr. Del Rio said that they (NCL) needed $4 more per person per day. He implied that changes were coming to reach that goal.

At first I was put off by the lack of notice for these changes, but as many have said "this is a for-profit business." Issuing press releases would scare potential consumers. And, if it were a slow news day when the press release came out, can you imagine the headlines? "NCL Makes Sweeping Changes; Customers Get Stuck With the Bill".

People would cancel cruises. People would run to other cruise lines. People would opt for all-inclusive land-based resorts.

Or... NCL could quietly implement the changes and when the passengers get on the ship, have a good time and realize those $4 per day didn't matter; they would say "I still had a great vacation." I think that's the gamble Mr. Del Rio was making. Based on the "just back from [insert ship name here] threads on Cruise Critic, his gamble seems to have paid off. People don't like the increases/changes, but overwhelmingly, people are still having a great time on his ships.

Business-wise, I don't see how else NCL could have done these changes. Consumer-wise, more information (and advance information) is great. IMO, his announcing that he wanted $4 per person per day meant new charges were coming (we just didn't know what they would be). Now we do.

This past year has been the first time in all the years I've done cruising that I've seen NCL offer free anything besides stateroom credits. People are getting a bargain if they got in on the drink, dining, DSC specials. I book a cruise in Europe for 11 days in 2017 and got in on the 2 free in Europe - UBP and UDP and got an AFT for bargain price. I think they gave away the store before raising costs. And $4 per day is less than the cost of 1 cocktail or 2 sodas.

Edited by kessdarln

This past year has been the first time in all the years I've done cruising that I've seen NCL offer free anything besides stateroom credits. People are getting a bargain if they got in on the drink, dining, DSC specials. I book a cruise in Europe for 11 days in 2017 and got in on the 2 free in Europe - UBP and UDP and got an AFT for bargain price. I think they gave away the store before raising costs. And $4 per day is less than the cost of 1 cocktail or 2 sodas.

Is that the "Who cares if they change what they sold you and charge more, it's still a good deal compared to XYZ brand" defense? Do you get paid by NCL? Just asking.

I would be interested in a study where someone takes similar cruises on the leading cruise lines and buys the same amount of drinks, dinners, etc and keep a tally... it would be interesting to see how it compares.
I also cruise on Celebrity and if I'm remembering correctly, their specialty restaurants are more expensive. Qsine and Murano are the most expensive at $45 and Tuscan Grill is $35 - those were the only restaurants I have gone to on Celebrity and I'm doing this all from memory.

Kids no longer are charged half price in the specialty restaurants. One poster reported being chased down after leaving Le Bistro after paying and having to go back and pay the additional amt due to staff not being aware of the policy change.

Very tacky to chase them down like that.

Is that the "Who cares if they change what they sold you and charge more, it's still a good deal compared to XYZ brand" defense? Do you get paid by NCL? Just asking.

LOL NO, but I don't have an unlimited budget. so I book where I save and this year it is NCL. I would book with another line if I could save more money.. the more I save, the more I can travel. It could also be my perspective as a solo traveler... getting a studio for $422 (pre tax) or outside for $1014 (incl. drinks and tax) seems like quite a bargain to me. Although truthfully, Carnival is more affordable than NCL and perhaps one day I'll give them a 2nd chance.

Do you get paid by NCL? Just asking.

Continuing... I do have to ask... why in social media do people assume you're paid if you say something positive? I would like to see more people take to social media when they are happy, rather than wait until they are unhappy about something. Just saying ;)

Continuing... I do have to ask... why in social media do people assume you're paid if you say something positive? I would like to see more people take to social media when they are happy, rather than wait until they are unhappy about something. Just saying ;)
I think it is just human nature, as to why those that are happy don't come onto social media, at the same rate as those with issues. What was the old saying, if a customer has a good experience, they tell 1 friend and if they have a bad experience they tell 10 friends.

This is my new all-time favorite post. It's always best to look at things positively. I always say some people aren't happy unless they are complaining lol.

True, so in fairness he kind of did give us a warning.

I would definitely be interested in seeing that

Well, there was that instance here on CC not so long ago where another cruise line (not NCL) was paying some posters on their board to spread only positive comments and to nay say those who said anything negative. That probably has something to do with why people here tend to think people who post only the positive could be getting something out of it. I'm saying that by way of explanation, I don't believe that of you at all. I think your comments were in relation to the things that NCL offers that are important to your cruise experience.

None, Zilch, Nada - that exactly what's wrong with some people, they don't know how to enjoy at the bare minimum the stuff included in the fare and then complain that the cruise line (NCL in this case) is "nickel and dimed" them, when all they had to do was not buy anything else on the ship. Even the room service fee and now the takeout restrictions - all they had to do was walk themselves to the buffet or MDR (Bonus point goes to NCL for having a MDR open at all meal times even at port compare to other cruise lines when the MDR is open for brunch at sea and dinner at all times) and either sit there or take it back to their room if they went to the buffet. O'Sheenan's takeaway problem - well gee, how hard is to just sit at the restaurant for that magical hours of 3-5:30pm and eat the food at the table? Love my buffalo wings, chicken tenders, and mozzarella sticks too, but its not that serious to take it back to my room.....