Waiting times for things.

Hi. We are actively considering RCI for a cruise/stay in Florida in the next year. I've only been on P&O and Cunard but I suspect we would like RCI. We like Americana and reading reviews, between the lines as ever, it sounds like a good fit for us.

My only concerns are about the sheer size of the ships. We went past one (Independence ??) in Soton a while back and it made the Fred Olsen boat berthed nearby look like a toy boat :)

When on P&O we haven't really noticed the 3000 passengers on the boat, it doesn't seem crowded (perhaps when getting on and off, and maybe in the theatres ?). Is this still the case with 5000 passengers ? Is it possible to get things like seats and sunbeds ?

The other thing is related. RCI seem to have lots of activities that aren't on P&O boats - rock climbing, the floating thing, the surfing thing, dodgems, the over the sea ball thing (sorry I can't remember the proper names). I wonder if with 5000 people on board you can really use these facilities ; are there long queues, or wait lists you have to sign up for really early to get any chance of using them.

Thanks for any comments anyone may have.

You will find many different opinions on this. Some people don't like the bigger ships and post horror stories of crowds. Don't let super negative reviews put you off.

Oasis, Freedom and Voyager class ships handle crowds very well. They are well designed with excellent passenger flow.

You will find crowds when a major event just finishes - think when a show gets out, or after a standard dining time begins, empties, etc. they quickly disperse - may have to wait for elevator longer.

Have never had trouble finding a seat. Again, pool decks will be crowded, but you don't have to sit exactly pool side -lots of seats all over the place.

Never waited for more than a few minutes for any activity. Sailed Oasis last year with 3 grandchildren in July. Packed with families, but kids did everything without any problems.

Windjammer buffet and Promenade cafe are crowded at peak times, but again very doable. Easier if you eat a little earlier or later than norm - think lunch at 1:00 as an example. Also make use of the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

On Oasis class ships you can reserve your entertainment ahead of time; not a specific seat, but entrance to the venue. Highly recommend doing this. You can make a reservation and should you decide not to go you don't need to do anything - just don't show up. About 10 minutes before the show the venue is open to everyone who has no reservation. You can usually get in this way, except for the comedy club, which is a smaller venue. You should definitely make a reservation for that.

Enjoy. Great ships.

Hi. We are actively considering RCI for a cruise/stay in Florida in the next year. I've only been on P&O and Cunard but I suspect we would like RCI. We like Americana and reading reviews, between the lines as ever, it sounds like a good fit for us.

My only concerns are about the sheer size of the ships. We went past one (Independence ??) in Soton a while back and it made the Fred Olsen boat berthed nearby look like a toy boat :)

When on P&O we haven't really noticed the 3000 passengers on the boat, it doesn't seem crowded (perhaps when getting on and off, and maybe in the theatres ?). Is this still the case with 5000 passengers ? Is it possible to get things like seats and sunbeds ?

The other thing is related. RCI seem to have lots of activities that aren't on P&O boats - rock climbing, the floating thing, the surfing thing, dodgems, the over the sea ball thing (sorry I can't remember the proper names). I wonder if with 5000 people on board you can really use these facilities ; are there long queues, or wait lists you have to sign up for really early to get any chance of using them.

Thanks for any comments anyone may have.

I can only speak from our experience. We love RCCI. We also love the large ships. Our first cruise was on the Adventure of the Seas (Voyager Class) and we had a fabulous time and never felt crowded at all. We sailed after that on the Freedom of the Seas and at that point, I (not so my husband) thought it was almost too big. No complaints, just awed at her size. We again loved our cruise. Since that time we sailed many times on other Voyager Class ships as well as other lines with smaller sized ships, although still considered large. When we went on the Oasis, I thought .... Good Lord, what is this going to be like?! Well, I have to tell you, once again, we LOVED it! Personally I think it felt the less crowded of them all!! I don't know whether it's all the different venues so that people aren't all in one place or what, but seriously we boarded right away with no problem, had no issues with the Windjammer, although of course more people are there, especially on embarkation day for lunch, but still no problems. Getting in and out of shows, there are some crowds, but nothing to complain about. There are still places on that ship where you find yourself asking at certain times, 'just where are all these people?'! Getting off the ship also went very smoothly ... it was amazing when you think of it. We didn't do the Rock Climbing, Surf Rider and Zip Lines, but watched as many did and there didn't seem, when we were around anyway, that the lines were terribly long. You always get on all ships I think, the crazy crowds when there are those jewelry or other clothing sales, but we just keep away from that. Our dining also went very well. We had MTD and always just 'showed up' and never had to wait. We even after the first night, were able to 'request' a certain waiter, which was nice. We are booked for the Allure of the Seas, the Oasis' sister ship in a few weeks and can't wait. Everyone is different, but from our experience, we had no problems and loved every minute of it. Good Luck on what you choose and Happy Sailing! :)

I haven't been on the Oasis or Quantum class, but I've been on the others. Although I prefer the smaller ships (Radiance and Vision class) it's certainly not because of crowds. Although the bigger ships carry more people, they also have more space for the people to spread out into. My preference is strictly due to the increased amount of social interaction that I feel exists on the smaller ships. You are more likely to run into the same people repeatedly throughout the course of the cruise and the interactions with other passengers make up a big piece of the cruise experience for me.

Thank you everyone. It sounds like there are no real problems as long as you are sensible and plan a little for peak times.

Barnaby ; the Cabins don't look too different to me, though obviously I don't know. I got the impression the food was different - more "American", larger portions, different rather than worse. From what I read it would seem to be okay at worst :)