Bear Watching - Late june

newbie_mke

Hi Everyone,

We would be on the Star Princess Alaskan Cruise this late June.

We are interested in watching Bears catching the salmons!

From what I could find out Ketchikan offers the best bet.

Anan Creek Tours seem are not available until July 1. Is that true?

The next option I see is Neet's Bay. Is anyone aware of any other better way to book rather than through the cruise line?

Is late June a good time to see Bears catching the salmons?

Thanks in advance!

As per one of the Captains from Alaska who has 30 years experience - "In fact the 25th of June is about the start of pinks up Anan creek so it might be great timing."

But it seems all the tour companies (per websites) are starting their tours from July 1.

Is there any local way (apart from the famous tour operators) to have a trip to Anan Creek?

You could try some of the local float plane operators who go to Anan Creek to see if they can get permits for your early season dates. Only a small number of visitors are allowed at Anan each day. I started the same process in December for our early August Ketchikan port call and they already sold out of space on their Anan tours so we are now going to Traitors Cove instead.

Vendors you might try include Island Wings Family Air, Southeast Aviation and Carlin Air.

You are way too early for Neets. That starts around the third week of July.

Did you see if your "captain" can arrange the trip for you? Are they based in Ketchikan? A Fishing charter? How is this cpt. making the trip there?

@BudgetQueen - He has a separate business in Alaska and is not based out of Ketchikan. Unfortunately, we are a party of 2 and need atleast 2 /3 more passengers to have a tour operator ready for the excursion.

@BudgetQueen - He has a separate business in Alaska and is not based out of Ketchikan. Unfortunately, we are a party of 2 and need atleast 2 /3 more passengers to have a tour operator ready for the excursion.

So this information is not first hand and is based on theory? Do they have any flight vendor contacts?

The only option you have is to contact vendors and inquire, if they can schedule a flight to take you there. Permits aren't needed, since you are off peak. It is going to have to be a charter, so if you don't want to pay for the whole plane, then promote this on your roll call, and find out what other ships are in port the same day- at a time that is common for each to take the tour.

final comment I will make- I never do these types of tours off peak. The time and cost involved make that a poor choice for me.

This may work out in your case, if you can find enough people to make it a lower cost perhaps.

This is not based on theory, only. I am banking on him because although he is not based out of Ketchikan, he organizes tours to Anan Creek but his package doesn't apply to a Cruise Passenger. He is doing this for 30 years. This is what I meant by separate business - sorry for the confusion.

As you rightly said, I am posting in the Roll Call to see if it works out. Thanks!

This is not based on theory, only. I am banking on him because although he is not based out of Ketchikan, he organizes tours to Anan Creek but his package doesn't apply to a Cruise Passenger. He is doing this for 30 years. This is what I meant by separate business - sorry for the confusion.

As you rightly said, I am posting in the Roll Call to see if it works out. Thanks!

You may first, want to find a flight vendor that can take you, and have prices to put in your roll call post. Being it's going to be several hundreds of dollars pp- you only want serious responders.