Med tours with kids? (Allure)

Hello- we are sailing on the Allure on 9th Aug with a 6 and 9 yr old.

We want to do highlights and give them a taste of Europe.

Happy to do our own thing to keep costs down. But would also welcome some knowledge on a tour.

Any advice welcomed

Ports visiting

Malloraca

Marseille

La Spezia

Civitavecchia

Naples

They may prefer just to stay on the ship? We did a med tour and it was exhausting. Our children were older and we did a trip each day but by the end people we met with younger children were cancelling trips and taking advantage of the quieter ship with a short walk around the ports when we docked. Our tour was similar time to you and everywhere was heaving with tourists.

We got the train in Rome which was much cheaper than the ship and was fine- we pre booked the vatican (essential to pre book) and just went straight in- the queue was enormous. We did all of the Rome sites- it was a long day and with hindsight we would just fly to Rome for the weekend. Other people wandered into the port and took it easy. It was hot and tiring 1st week in August

Mallorca I would just walk around the old town (family live there not been on a cruise). It is very pretty with lots of churches, buildings, markets

This article has info on La Spezia http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/italy/65134/La-Spezia-Italy-cruise-port-guide.html

Are you registered on the roll call? trips will be discussed on there

We went to Pisa as well so that must have been La spezia. We did a ships tour which included a river boat tour into the town. That was ok but again very busy. To go up the tower you needed to have booked in advance I think. The area around the tower was a big trash souvenir market with a tower! People who went to florence said it was good but again a very long day- some people stayed off the ship and joined it gain in rome I think.

We went to Pompeii with 2 small boys, 8 & 4. Just made our own way there, caught a taxi from the port and then actually took a train then taxi back. If we could do it then everyone can. Was a great day trip for the family. I know I was worried about being overcharged etc after reading the forums but everything went fine. Our cruise left from Rome so we actually spent 3 days there before we left. One of my favourite places. The boys walked everywhere with us, loved all the sites and food. Lots to do. If you only have a day there I would either book probably book a tour so you know you can see everything in a day and be back to the ship on time.

I took my kids at 9 years old. They like climbing towers (most churches have them). And, a 1/2 day of touring was the most they could handle. Make it fun with contests to find things--like how many gelatos store they can find--try a different flavor of gelato, pastry, candy, etc.

The 2 ports that I would recommend to DIY with kids are Mallorca and Naples--plus tips for other below. The nice thing about DIY is you save $$$ and you are on your own time, so if they get tired, you can just head back to the ship vs. being on a longer tour:

Mallorca (super easy): take the HO-HO bus right at the port to the main areas of town and go to the Cathedral and then just walk around for a while down the winding streets, then take the Ho-Ho back to the ship. It will stop at a fort where you can get off and look around, or just continue back to the ship. Very relaxed 1/2 day for cheap!

Naples (very easy with a little research of the tram/train): search here to see how to DIY to Pompeii--I have posted how to before, as have many others. The train is SUPER easy--it stop right at Pompeii--trust me, you can't miss it. Taking the train form port is just a TINY bit tricky--you need to take the tram to the station--but the tram stops right at the port. Just cross the small street and get your day trasport ticket from the tobacco stand. It costs 8 euros or so. After the tram, you want the trains headed to Sorrento. Then, on the way back (opposite side of the tracks--go UNDER the tracks to the other side), decide if you want to also hop off the train at Herculaneum, or just go back to the ship. With a little online research, this is also a fun and cheap DIY day. Get this book ahead of time online, or buy it at the gift store at Naples port--great for kids to envision what Pompeii was--also available for Rome--get them both.

POMPEII Reconstructed Book with DVD Paperback – 2007

by Maria Antonietta Lozzi Bonaventura (Author)

Pisa: I do not think 6 yr olds can climb the tower. I think the age limit is at least 8. But, they will enjoy looking at it. I have posted many DIY of Pisa, Rome, etc. Just search on this board and you'll find lots of DIY, if you want. We enjoy walking from the train station through Pisa to the Tower and back. It's a nice 1/2 day. But, going from La Spezia is a bit farther. We love Cinque Terre. That might be a day to leave the kids on the boat in the kids club and go on a tour of CT--it's really spectacular, but I do not think kids would really care about it.

Rome (relatively easy DIY--but Naples is easier DIY, as the train stops right at Pompeii, and Rome is farther from the port--I might book a tour for this one): for kids that age, the Colo with one of the above books. We just take the train and DIY. I would get on a HO-HO in Rome at the train station, ride to Colo, tour and then ride around on the Ho-Ho. Be sure to get your tickets over at the Palatine--small line. Then go up to the security line, not the ticket line for the Colo and zip right in.

Edited by elaine5

That was soooo useful....much appreciated. We quite used to travelling with them so going to do our own adventures as you suggested. Very excited now ...just needed that guidance that it can be done.

I recommend doing Pisa rather than Florence. There is a trolley train excursion on most lines which is fun. Our tour also had a trip on the river Arno. Rome is a long way from Civitavecchia and I've been researching the port as we did Rome last time. It turns out that Civitacecchia is a lovely resort in its own right with a sandy beach and colourful buildings.

Here are some useful links:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Civitavecchia-152412/Things_To_Do-Civitavecchia-TG-C-1.html

http://www.romecabs.com/blog/2012/06/what-do-see-and-do-in-civitavecchia-travel-tips-for-cruisers/

http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia.htm

I did a Med cruise in August last year. We had 7 ports, but the only 2 in common with your cruise are Rome and Florence/Pisa. Everyone above has given lots of great advice already. But nobody has mentioned yet how HOT the weather is in August. Be prepared for temperatures above 30C (90F).

My best advice would be to limit the amount of outdoor walking. Book a driving tour that drops you off right in front of the major attractions. From the drop-off point, you can still walk around the surrounding area but it'll be easy to find your way back if you need to cool off. In contrast, avoid guided walking tours that may require you to walk a long stretch in the sun without breaks.

Edited by zxc

Hello- we are sailing on the Allure on 9th Aug with a 6 and 9 yr old.

We want to do highlights and give them a taste of Europe.

Happy to do our own thing to keep costs down. But would also welcome some knowledge on a tour.

Any advice welcomed

Ports visiting

Malloraca

Marseille

La Spezia

Civitavecchia

Naples

Hello,

We are sailing on Allure on 7th June with 4 yr and 2 yr old.

We are planing to do all the tours by ourselves

This is our planing:

Palma- visit the aquarium of Palma.

http://palmaaquarium.com/

Marseille- tour the city by the "Le Petit Train".

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/

La Spezia-We are going to take the train to Manarola and than catch the boat to Vernaza and back to La Spezia by train.

Civitavecchia- we will stay on board.

Naples-We are paning to take the hidrophl to Capri , going to Capri and Anacapri ( going to take the chair lift to mount. Solero).

http://www.capriseggiovia.it/en/impianto.html

This is our planing , hopefully we will do it as written.

Edited by shay869

Hello,

We are sailing on Allure on 7th June with 4 yr and 2 yr old.

We are planing to do all the tours by ourselves

This is our planing:

Palma- visit the aquarium of Palma.

http://palmaaquarium.com/

Marseille- tour the city by the "Le Petit Train".

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/

La Spezia-We are going to take the train to Manarola and than catch the boat to Vernaza and back to La Spezia by train.

Civitavecchia- we will stay on board.

Naples-We are paning to take the hidrophl to Capri , going to Capri and Anacapri ( going to take the chair lift to mount. Solero).

http://www.capriseggiovia.it/en/impianto.html

This is our planing , hopefully we will do it as written.

At Marseille don't worry paying for the ship shuttle. Just walk to the port entrance where the port authority provides a complementary shuttle into town. As previously mentioned the little tourist train is good and takes you up the hill to the church. Marseille is a great place to enjoy a lunch outside and watch the world go by.

I would recommend getting off at Civitavecchia and heading for the beach. The children would probably really enjoy playing in the sand and the water is reputed to be good too.

No matter how well-behaved, intelligent, and appreciative of history your kids are, the bottom line is that most 6 and 9 year olds are going to quickly tire of day-long tours to museums and historical sites and in the hot sun and long wait lines. So I'd pick and choose, rather than try to cram it all in.

Naples IS easy to DIY, and if I was going to spend all day off the ship somewhere, this is where I'd choose. At Pompeii you can rent audio headphones if like, or just go by the brochure and signs or guidebook. Either way, I'd spend some time before the trip talking to your kids about Roman culture, and show them pictures of what the forum looked like, talk about the gladiators, etc. That way they'll have a better understanding of what they're seeing when you walk around the ruins and be a little more "in awe." It is also easy to combine a few hours at Pompeii with a ferry ride to Capri. Kids will likely enjoy the funicular that goes up to the center of town, and if it's a clear day, you can take the chair lift up to Monte Solaro.

Rome: Personally, I'd skip the traditional "highlights" tour if I was with my kids. To try to cram in the coliseum, the Sistine Chapel, the Pantheon etc. is going to make for a VERY long day and again..... not likely to be particularly popular with, or appreciated by, a 6 and 9 year old. What I'd do instead is find a culinary tour, or do one myself. Maybe talk to the kids about the highlights stuff and pick ONE major thing, but spend the rest of the time there enjoying authentic Italian treats..... Italian cookies, gelato, pizza or pasta, etc. Don't forget to stop into one of the Italian versions of a convenience store and let the kids wander around looking at the different sodas and snacks and things with Italian labels. My kids are always fascinated at seeing stuff like that, and discovering that it's not all Doritos and Snickers bars, LOL.

At at least one port, I'd plan a beach day and just relax.

Hope this helps some!

On the train to and from Rome we didn't get seats- both trains were very crowded with locals and it wasnt all cruise traffic.

Coming back it was hot and I was feeling a little woozy. Getting of the train a girl of about 6 had projectile vomiting all over everyone on the platform- due to heat. I had mounds of baby wipes and everyone took it quite well. We didnt go into Civitavecchia as planned but helped the family to get back to the ship as they had 3 children and had to evict the baby from the buggy to put the girl in. We saw them later and she was fine after a sleep.

If you live in the Uk Rome is pretty cheap to get to and with hindsight I wouldn't go from Civitavecchia in August to Rome for the day again.

We did La Spezia, Rome and Naples in October 2013 with a 8, 6 and 1 year old.

In La Spezia we stayed in the town which is ok - nice promenade to walk along but I seem to remember a lot of shops were shut. Probably could have done something more exciting but we had a 'day off'

We did a 'family' ship tour to Rome but there was too much walking and it was a very long day. I wouldn't go at all having been once but if it was my first time I would try to go by train and do our own thing so we could return when tired.

We had a great ship tour in Naples which was climbing Vesuvius and visiting Pompeii. Really caught the children's imagination and it wasn't a steep climb.

Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

We returned from a successful trip. ..thanks for you advice. We stayed on board first few days. ..did Cinque terre on boat/train, coach and diy Rome, and train and diy Pompeii.

Glad we did diy as did at our own pace. Lots of time for water/ice cream stops :)