serenity deck

rfholcom

technically, they're very strict. they've made one little spot of deck age restricted to 21+, for the purpose of facilitating such a spot for passengers who are seeking an 'adult only' type area, amongst the rest of the ship which is very 'family friendly'...

in practice, not as much. so long as they don't look like twelve year olds they probably wouldn't get a second look from staff... unless they try to get a drink...

carnival doesn't enforce its own policies very well, so you'd probably be fine inviting them along.

however, this may arouse some very rude comments on this board, and potentially people taking pictures and reporting you to guest services, from the self-appointed-cruise-police types on this board so watch out.

above is said mostly in jest, but only because seriously those types do exist. you'll probably be fine and i don't see a problem with a 20 year old instead of a 21 year old, but i don't speak for the entire 'community' and their own individual preferences, some of which may tell you you're encouraging rule breaking, etc. and how dare you taint your child with such lessons.

ymmv. lol.

We are taking my son and his girlfriend on a cruise in June. They are both 20. How strict is Carnival about enforcing the 21 age limit for the Serenity Deck?

If they don't look young you can probably get away with it but is this what you want to teach your child......that it's okay to break the rules if you can get away with it?

We are taking my son and his girlfriend on a cruise in June. They are both 20. How strict is Carnival about enforcing the 21 age limit for the Serenity Deck?

Why should your 20 year old son and his girlfriend be allowed to take up deck chairs that are meant for those of us who are over 21?

Edited by stargate fan

Why would 2 - 20 yr olds want to hang out with probably average age of 45-50 yr olds when they would have the main pool area, waterslides, and a bunch of 20-30 yr olds playing loud music and having fun all day long ???:)

If they don't look young you can probably get away with it but is this what you want to teach your child......that it's okay to break the rules if you can get away with it?

Pretty sure 20 year olds are adults in every respect, save for the ability to drink alcohol, and are past the age of needing to be taught by their parents.

OP: If they can past for a whopping 12 months older than they actually are and behave respectfully I am sure they will be just fine. I would tolerate them far more than the drunk 60-somethings being loud and obnoxious at Serenity last year on Fantasy.

Pretty sure 20 year olds are adults in every respect, save for the ability to drink alcohol, and are past the age of needing to be taught by their parents.

OP: If they can past for a whopping 12 months older than they actually are and behave respectfully I am sure they will be just fine. I would tolerate them far more than the drunk 60-somethings being loud and obnoxious at Serenity last year on Fantasy.

Have to agree with that. One drunk female last year in Miracle didn't like her lunch and threw it in the pool. Closed the pool for a day since we were to close to shore to empty and refill.

Why would 2 - 20 yr olds want to hang out with probably average age of 45-50 yr olds when they would have the main pool area, waterslides, and a bunch of 20-30 yr olds playing loud music and having fun all day long ???:)

This is the perfect response. While I am sure you want your son and his girlfriend to hang out with you, let it be their decision. If they want to, by all means let them go to Serenity with you and relax, not worry about the age restrictions. I love Serenity because it is quiet and relaxing for the 50+ crowd.

But I am sure they would be more comfortable hanging out at the pool with their own crowd and music or maybe somewhere else, like the hot tub, without mom and dad watching.:D

Edited by HawkIVette

Actually, it was not asked for them to hang out with me. They wanted to know as they like the idea of a quiet place to read and relax. I am sure they will participate in the waterslides, etc but they also loved the idea of a quiet place. They were planning on being respectful while they were there and allow others to also enjoy the peace and quiet. I am not encouraging them to break the law and they will not be drinking. I was checking to see if this was something that Carnival does enforce.

This is a tough one - I certainly get the "more chairs for the rest of us", but to be honest, on the two cruises I've been on Serenity, when the experience is ruined, it is by the adult drunks who are either too illiterate to understand the concept, or think by "adult" it means they can go on and on in the worst language in their vocabulary at the top of their lungs.

A mature 20 year old can take their chairs anytime.

I suggest going the first time by yourself and check out the scene. On the Fantasy, if they weren't obviously children, no one was deporting / checking IDs. Most of the time there wasn't even an attendent. And now that I think of it - if they are of the age to be drafted or join the military and die for our country, they are doubly welcome to share my serenity deck anytime.

Edited by Bobblefrog

Why should your 20 year old son and his girlfriend be allowed to take up deck chairs that are meant for those of us who are over 21?

Agree. I would not allow my under 21 children in Serenity. There is simply are not adequate seating to accommodate, particularly if people started to bring in their exceptions.

Have to agree with that. One drunk female last year in Miracle didn't like her lunch and threw it in the pool. Closed the pool for a day since we were to close to shore to empty and refill.

I seriously hope that person was led off at the next port, at least stripped of ability to drink alcohol for the rest of the cruise.

On an all inclusive many years ago, a drunk 20 year old threw a lighted tiki torch into a gorgeous pool. The fluids leaked all into the pool, and it had to be closed for draining, cleaning and refilled. The resort had the cops charge the customer with either mayhem, or destruction of property - I can't recall the specifics. He was returned to the U.S. I don't know if the resort also charged the customer's account with fees associated with destruction/clean up, but I would have agreed.

Actually, it was not asked for them to hang out with me. They wanted to know as they like the idea of a quiet place to read and relax. I am sure they will participate in the waterslides, etc but they also loved the idea of a quiet place. They were planning on being respectful while they were there and allow others to also enjoy the peace and quiet. I am not encouraging them to break the law and they will not be drinking. I was checking to see if this was something that Carnival does enforce.

Whatever. It's a probe put forth that begs posters to say follow the basic rules.

There are all kinds of places for them to relax and have some quiet, as you say. Library for one.

Edited by eponym

Shaded chairs are in short supply ones in the sun have always had quite a few empty spots.

As long as they are well behaved I dont see the problem.

There are all kinds of places for them to relax and have some quiet, as you say. Library for one.

Ah, very good point. We often found we preferred places like that on the Fantasy - a cigar bar aka sports bar now - for example, that was always empty. Nice comfy chairs, too. Library maybe - it was hit and miss - it's a good place to play board games that lots of people took advantage of.

As for outside dependent on the ship you should be able to find a deck farthest away from the pool that has some loungers in a quiet spot. On Fantasy we gravitated to Serenity because it was such a great place to watch the wake, but each ship will have it's own configuration. For example I've heard on the Valor (our next cruise!) that the deck outside the lobby has lounge chairs (never saw this on Fantasy's exterior decks) but worth a look as no one ever really goes there.

Shaded chairs are in short supply ones in the sun have always had quite a few empty spots.

As long as they are well behaved I dont see the problem.

If they are underage, they are underage. I generally don't hang in the serenity area, because I've heard it is usually crowded and overloaded with chair hogs. (That's another explosive topic)

If I wanted a chair/lounger in that area, and there were under age kids there, I would ask a crew member to check their age.

I do hang in the adult aft pool section, and am so glad that the crew there will enforce the adult only policy for that pool and the 2 hot tubs there.

If they are underage, they are underage. I generally don't hang in the serenity area, because I've heard it is usually crowded and overloaded with chair hogs. (That's another explosive topic)

If I wanted a chair/lounger in that area, and there were under age kids there, I would ask a crew member to check their age.

I do hang in the adult aft pool section, and am so glad that the crew there will enforce the adult only policy for that pool and the 2 hot tubs there.

The kids are 20 just short of 21 and dont see the big deal about this at all.

This is a tough one - I certainly get the "more chairs for the rest of us", but to be honest, on the two cruises I've been on Serenity, when the experience is ruined, it is by the adult drunks who are either too illiterate to understand the concept, or think by "adult" it means they can go on and on in the worst language in their vocabulary at the top of their lungs.

A mature 20 year old can take their chairs anytime.

I suggest going the first time by yourself and check out the scene. On the Fantasy, if they weren't obviously children, no one was deporting / checking IDs. Most of the time there wasn't even an attendent. And now that I think of it - if they are of the age to be drafted or join the military and die for our country, they are doubly welcome to share my serenity deck anytime.

First, let me mention my response is from an enlisted Vietnam veteran. To my knowledge, there is no draft any longer and hasn't been for a while. Draft orders were terminated in 1973 - 22 years before the passenger in question was even born. The 20-year olds in question are NOT veterans and are NOT in danger of being pressed into the military. Maybe your point is appropriate for drinking age as it applies to underage active military, but it certainly doesn't apply here. As a matter of fact, it diminishes the importance of those who are serving or who have served. My military service was a choice; I never expected it to open doors to any other restrictions in life. Should a twenty-year old be granted senior discounts in stores just because he or she is old enough to have been drafted up until 42 years ago.?

And as a veteran of a foreign war well over the age of 21, I don't wan't any additional unauthorized use of chairs already difficult to find.

The kids are 20 just short of 21 and dont see the big deal about this at all.

If they become 21 during the cruise, they can use the serenity area. If not, they can and should go elsewhere.

You have a right to your opinion, but you do not have a right to flout policy, which is made by Carnival.

If they become 21 during the cruise, they can use the serenity area. If not, they can and should go elsewhere.

You have a right to your opinion, but you do not have a right to flout policy, which is made by Carnival.

Carnival Policy is not a law or something that will affect the safety of others.

Therefore reserve the right to think for myself. Sorry if you disagree but also not a sheep either.

Well, if you are insistent about breaking policy, I hope you don't cause a scene when the underaged kids are either denied entrance or asked to leave.

Let me know when you cruise and I'll be sure to avoid that sailing.

What other policies don't conform with your thinking? And how will you react when others flout different policies claiming their right to do so, even if it clashes with your comfortability? You sound just like the person on a crowded checkout line with 20 items when the line says it is for 12 items or less. Or someone who wants to drag their 1st time cruise buddies along the priority line.

Carnival should have an anything goes cruise, so you can enjoy your sailing with other like minded policy flouters.

Edited by evandbob

Yes, they can probably get by with going to the Serenity Deck. However, it is always crowded and chairs seem to be in short supply. I would be annoyed to be turned away from the deck due to someone else not observing the rules.

Part of the reason we are choosing the Glory over Conquest is the SD. So, imo, I think it is fine as long as everyone who is of age and wishes to be there is able to get a seat.

If someone is turned away because there isn't anywhere to sit, would your son and gf have the maturity to get up and move to another area to allow someone over 21 have the seat?