Philips' 26 glacier or MMT Surprise Glacier / Blackstone Bay?

newbie_mke

Hi Everyone,

Which of these is the best at Whittier provided I am looking for pure Glacier sight-seeing?

Philips' 26 glacier or MMT Surprise Glacier / Blackstone Bay?

Both are good... But with Phillips, you spend a lot of time transitioning from glacier to glacier. With Major Marine, you get a good chunk of time in front of one glacier. Which means a better chance of seeing calving.

I have gone on all three. "I" do have a preference for Major Marine's Surprise Glacier, added meal option is excellent.

Philips also is the cruise ship contractor, with larger boats- if that makes a difference.

With your "glacier" sightseeing- could mean "many" which would be Philips.

There are two trips that both companies operate. The shorter trips goes to Blackstone Bay while the longer trips go through Esther Passage and enter Barry Arm and Harriman Fjord where the Surprise Glacier is located.

26 Glaciers and Major Marine duplicate each other's routes so the big difference is the optional cost lunch buffet on Major vs. fish and ships on 26 Glaciers. As previously said, 26 Glaciers handles cruise ship passengers on prepaid excursions when ships are in Whittier.

I've taken college geography classes with both companies many times and students enjoyed the trips. I usually went with the Blackstone trip because the cost was less for students; however, on my own, I prefer the Surprise Glacier trip.

The picture at the bottom is the Northland Glacier seen on the Blackstone Bay trip.