serenade questions - lots of them!!!

bhoffman

Hi! Planning a trip on the serenade of the seas in Feb. so, have a ton of questions.

1. Where do you ever begin with all of the excursions for all of these ports? Which are the top of the top as far as these go? Which are MUST DO'S?!

2. Is is simple and cheaper to take a taxi from the San Juan airport than Royal Caribbeans transfers? We get in about 3pm that day so should have plenty of time to get to the ship.

3. We are in 9232, is this a good side of the ship? It was the last D1 room so we didn't have a choice, is it an okay room?

Thanks so much! We are really looking forward to this trip!:)

For excursions go to the ports of call board and you will find information on all different kinds of excursions.

We are going on the Serenade in December. Upon recomendations we have booked the Silver Moon in Barbados and Elis Echo Tour in Antiqua and the BOB excursion in St. Thomas. Still considering what to do on the other islands.

We are going on the Serenade in November and for the ports I would look under each board for excursions - I can tell you what we have planned as we booked the all privately and not through the cruise line this time - Barbados Silvermoon Catamarans, Antigua - Eli's Eco Tour, we have private taxi tours for St Lucia and St Martin - we have nothing planned for St Thomas.

I think as far as the transfers vs taxi it is around the same price - I don't know at this time if one takes a little longer than the other.

We are in 9232, is this a good side of the ship? It was the last D1 room so we didn't have a choice, is it an okay room?
This stateroom connects with the one next door. I would keep checking back and switch to another stateroom when one becomes available (they will.) The port is a good side to be on for this itinerary, though.

Take a taxi. Less expensive and much faster! You don't have to wait for the bus to fill up and all that luggage loaded.

In St. Thomas, take the ferry over to St. John's if you want some spectacular snorkeling. Go to Trunk Bay National Park.

I know where to find the excursions, just overwhelmed when I get there!!! :) :confused: Anyone out there have suggestions on which ones to do?

One other thing - when I was getting ready for my first cruise I bought Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call - it is a great book and you can find it at any bookstore. It actually breaks down each island and things to do, see and shopping. This might help you a little more and maybe you won't feel so overwhelmed. Since you aren't cruising until February you have a little bit of time ~ but if you find something that you are definitely interested in I would say book it now before it fills up. Good luck and relax!

THANK YOU!!! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!! So when I check back closer to sail time there may be other rooms open? But, this is the best side of the ship though right? So, I have to find another room on the same side of the ship that doesn't connect right? Should I check back at the 70 day mark when final payments are due or before? THANKS AGAIN!!!

Anyone else? Thanks for the tip on St. Johns! Have been to St. Thomas before so it would be fun to check out St. Johns!

My 16 yr old son and I are going on the Serenade this January. (Leaving hubby home for this one. :D) So far we have only booked the Silvermoon Cat in Barbados. There are so many great choices for excursions, we can't decide what else to choose. We are also flying in a day early so we have some time to spend in San Juan as well.

We are on same cruise as alb38 on 11/26. I also recommend Frommers "Caribbean Ports of Call". I only wish I had bought it before my first cruise. It has so much info !!

We are travelling with our best friends so there is four of us.... and we like to "do our own thing" whenever possible as it gives us more control over where and how long etc... instead of being put on a bus and moved around

St. Thomas-take the ferry to St. John (everyone says it is gorgeous)

St. Maarten- we have a jeep rented (island is small and roads are good) will head to French side and work our way back.

Antigua- rented Chevy Blazer 65.00 unltd miles (island is only 11 miles X 14 miles)

St.Lucia-only RCL tour we are doing "Land & Sea to Sourfriere" Island is hard to get around and this has both land (volcano, waterfalls, fishing village,pitons) and sea (catamaran trip back w/snorkeling) it is a long day tho.

Barbados-have private taxi tour booked -our own itinerary. Island is also hard to manuver (signage is bad as well as roads) works out to @50.00pp and we get to go where we want and when....

Alot of times this is the case.... a private tour if shared is better deal.

Advice: Just take it slow - read and read and read some more. Check out websites for each island (each has its own official tourism site - do a search) once you have a feel for what there is to do - narrow it down to what appeals to you (I could care less about seeing a rum factory :D ) You will have a great time :)

We did the Serenade southern caribbean cruise twice (2003 and 2004).

The port side is facing the town on most of the ports. The starboard side was facing most of the towns leaving port. Coming into St Lucia (around 5:30 or 6am) the starboard side is facing the Pitons. The port side was facing the Pitons leaving St Lucia, but it was getting dark. On our cruise last year it rained in St Lucia and all the shore excursions in the morning were cancelled so most everyone did not get to see the Pitons. We left port at 23 knots so we would cruise past the Pitons before it got dark.

Our Capt also took us up close to Monserrat on the last day at sea so we could see the devastation from the volcano.

You will enjoy the S. Caribbean, and the Serenade. It is a beautiful ship. Lots of glass.

You will love the Serenade. We will be on our 5th trip on her, our third this year alone, for Christmas....just a lucky year. ;) We have done your sailing once and this time it will be the same except we will miss St Thomas due to Christmas day ...we will be at sea. Definitely go to St John....we loved it. We took the ferry on our own agenda and went to Cinnamon Beach. It was beautiful. St Martin/St Marteen, we have done both sides. Just be careful to get a full van to the other side and back...much cheaper. Antigua...did taxi tour, not too impressed. We did enjoy the beach we went to. St Lucia, did the Brig Unicorn...not so great for us as we do not drink and the beach was nothing. The sailing was great. We had a better time shopping and talking with the locals at the straw market and the brick building across the street from it. Barbados we LOVED...for $60, for three of us, we took a 3 hour taxi tour. Our driver took us to some places where there were no buses and no taxis...we went to this awesome overlook view of Bathsheba. (His last name was Carter, can't remember first name) He let us off at a shopping area near the port where everything is made on the island. We also did a turtle, snorkle, beach trip that was conducted very well. As another poster said, the captain took us to the Pitons and turned the ship around for all to see. He also went past so we could see, smell, the volcano and very close to Saba. Again, it is a great trip....there is no way but to love it!!!! Enjoy!

Archived