Shipping luggage

brangede

I am a firm believer in shipping my luggage to/from the ship for long cruises. My last world cruise I noticed some passengers shipping in containers rather than suitcases. Does anyone have any information on the types of trunks/containers.

Our cruise buddies from Flint, MI, wanted to ship theirs from the ship to their airport but couldn't do it. We left from Port Canaveral. I've forgotten who they were flying with but their luggage wouldn't make their flight so this was turned down for them. They loved doing it flying from Miami. They did make their flight with all their luggage though.

I have successfully had my luggage shipped to and from the HAL ship but I used suitcases. What I am trying to locate are the names of the hard sided, trunk like containers that some passengers on my last voyage used in place of suitcases. It looked like they were able to get a lot more into their containers than I could get into my suitcases, especially the odd shaped items.

I have successfully had my luggage shipped to and from the HAL ship but I used suitcases. What I am trying to locate are the names of the hard sided, trunk like containers that some passengers on my last voyage used in place of suitcases. It looked like they were able to get a lot more into their containers than I could get into my suitcases, especially the odd shaped items.

Are you looking for regular steamer trunks? Or are you looking for something like the airline containers that baggage services use to ship luggage and other products.

A google search with show you LOTS of trunks. Here is just one link:

http://www.trunkoutlet.com/shop/trunks-for-home

Many, many others sold online and in better luggage stores. If you have any connection to a military base and can get into the PX, they sell a really great hard plastic trunk on wheels for just over $150.00. HOLDS a lot. APO military only allows 100 pounds and I have had to take out stuff when shipping home, so I KNOW they hold 100 pounds with NO damage all the way from the Middle East.

The others are NOT cheap and with shipping costs, it WILL be expensive due to the weight and the size. And you will have to make your own arrangements for shipment through an airline cargo company. A luggage shipping company may also ship those for you but most of the luggage shipping companies restrict weight to suitcase weight, so buying a heavy trunk and loading it with 100+ pounds of clothes is going to cost a fortune and most likely will definitely have to go air cargo.

But if you want airline type containers like you see them wheeling around on the tarmac at airports, you will have to contract with a commercial cargo shipping company.

I do this for a living shipping freight and people worldwide. IF you need further help, please ask.

Edited by greatam