Tipping the Cabin Steward

petnumber1

We also hand envelopes to the stewards at the end of a cruise (or at the end of a segment) but we also tip the Lido crew that have been so helpful as we have breakfast and often lunch in the Lido. The Lido crew are always so appreciative as tipping is not that common for some of them. Remember one chef (Ringo) who could cook freshly scrambled eggs to die for - he definitely was tipped.

Admit tipping is a personal decision but it tugs at my heart that the crew leave family and friends for many months on end, send money home to support often an extended family, work so hard to make our cruise experience so wonderful. IMO - After what we spend for cruise fare - the extra money for tips is a drop in the bucket for us but not for the crew.

Personally, I wish they would just pay employees a decent fair wage, charge customers an appropriate fare, then not allow tipping, but I'm from Europe:)

I'm happy to do whatever works best for the crew. It makes NO difference to me if I pay the amount up front or on board. The net result to me is the same. I don't feel it is my place to dictate how the crew gets paid.

You also do not know the specifics of the agreements and requirements between the cruise lines, the manning agencies in other countries, and the tax offices of the national governments of the tipped crewmembers.

Many Asian countries require the cruise lines to send a percentage of the tipped crew's salary (not their tips) back to their home country - through the manning agent - for tax purposes.

If the gratuities become part of the fare, they also become part of the crew salary. That forces the cruise lines to send a much higher percentage of the crew earnings back to their government, who then takes a much deeper cut of those earnings.

In the process, the manning agent who is handling those funds, fiddles with the exchange rates and skims a nice percentage off for himself.

Depending on many factors, adding the gratuities to the fare can result in a net loss for the service staff.

In addition to a small tip at the end of the cruise, i leave a small "goodie" bag daily for the steward. I'm retired and have more time than extra cash, so I pack new reusable small containers (like plastic pencil boxes and zipper pouches) with individually wrapped candy, drink mixes, etc. and usually include a dollar bill (sometimes origami folded if I have time). I let them know on the first day to expect it and leave a thank you note to remind them to take them. The stewards have always been very appreciative and tell us they look forward to their treats.

It has been a while since we did a longer cruise on HA. On other cruise lines, we didn't see a second helper. Now I'm thinking that if there are actually two people helping with our room that I should leave one for each steward? We don't always see them every day - depending on what our schedule is like for the day - and I just like to let them know that we appreciate what they do for us.

Yes, I know that people feel the same way about these "gifts" that they do about tipping. I just like to put a little time and effort into it besides just handing out a dollar bill. Yeah, maybe they need the money more but we're not talking about expensive goodie bags, just a little something to let them know they are appreciated. I also pack a couple of extra for staff who have been helpful during the cruise who are usually not recognized at all. (Like Lido waitstaff and servers, musicians, even other stewards who smile at us and say hello every time we walk past!)

So, should I leave two each day or just assume they will share them?

This is always a thorny old issue isn't it?

Assuming double cabin occupancy, the Hotel Service Charge accrues at US$ 23/24 dollars a night, depending on Stateroom Grade. So a 2 week cruise, already starts to look like a serious outlay

In my view, if the HSC is left (hopefully) in place, then anything else that we, or anyone else wants to leave in addition, is entirely down to us or to them and our/their own decision making.

The pre-existing 'contract' for want of a better word, having been already fulfilled.

What other people might leave or don't leave, is entirely down to them.

I therefore much prefer the more direct eye to eye, folded cash in hand(shake) approach with Table Waiters, Cabin Stewards, or exceptional Bar Staff.

I always also say, be it on the last day, or last night "the Hotel Charge is fully in place, so this is a little bit extra entirely from us, for you and only you, by way of our thanks for your excellent service"

Job done!

They know precisely who has given it to them, and have also seen the pleasure on your face in the doing so. Mutual understanding and respect, rather than any pre-conditions of self serving gratitude, that some would have us believe, still exist.

Peter.

I'm European so I thoroughly dislike the US approach to tipping. Like someone else said, it's part of the product and should be in the price, which should be set at a rate to pay the staff decent wages and not rely on this practice.

That said, when in Rome…. and HAL is an American cruise line so obviously we had to fit in. Service was in fact exemplary on our Eurodam cruise and the staff were so friendly. So in the end, the 'hotel service charge' stayed on the bill, plus I gave both the cabin attendant and the dining staff $20-30 on top and tipped the room service guy $1-2 each time he came, all handed over personally.

I can confirm they were definitely not waiting around for tips.

On HAL, two stewards will take care of your cabin so if you wish, leaving two might be a good idea. :)

On our Alaska Volendam cruise (OV lower promenade) in June we had one steward. He introduced himself the first day and ask if we had any special requests. I asked him at that time if he was working alone or with another steward. He was working alone. He gave us his business card. He was the most professional steward we have had and took pride in his job.

With two stewards I usually feel like one is taking better care of us but I'm never sure which one so we tip equally....and I often wonder which one made that towel animal that I like so much?????

We tip the stewards directly on the last night as we are not sure we will see them the next morning before we get off the ship. HAL does have other crew assisting in cleaning rooms on turnover day so that rooms will be ready for the new occupants when they board. (see Capt. Albert's blog)