Need help packing

WeatherGeek

I have never flown before and am actually quite terrified to fly. I'm really worried about the airline losing our luggage. I'm going to pack a couple of days worth of clothes in a carry on so that if htey do lose our luggage, we will have clean clothes and can just re-wash them.

Are the chances of my luggage getting lost minimal? Is it commonplace for airlines to lose people's luggage?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm really freaking out over this. We usually drive to the port and don't have to worry about it.

Also, I can't find on the AA website (maybe I've overlooked it), but can you carry on a garmet bag when you fly with them? I really don't want to have to check in the bag with my fiance's dress blues, as they are not cheap to replace.

I have flown probably 2 dozen times in my life. I've flown back and forth from Florida to New York, to the Dominican Republic and to Mexico and I've never had my luggage lost. I actually don't know anyone personally who has ever lost their luggage. I'd say that the odds are pretty small that it will happen to you..I'm not saying that it can't, but I'd say that the chances are pretty slim if you tag everything really well. Try not to worry too much!

I have never flown before and am actually quite terrified to fly. I'm really worried about the airline losing our luggage. I'm going to pack a couple of days worth of clothes in a carry on so that if htey do lose our luggage, we will have clean clothes and can just re-wash them.

Are the chances of my luggage getting lost minimal? Is it commonplace for airlines to lose people's luggage?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm really freaking out over this. We usually drive to the port and don't have to worry about it.

Also, I can't find on the AA website (maybe I've overlooked it), but can you carry on a garmet bag when you fly with them? I really don't want to have to check in the bag with my fiance's dress blues, as they are not cheap to replace.

Please don't be afraid to fly. You truly will be safe. But just to get yourself off on the right foot, please let the gate agent and flight attendants know that you have never flown. They are miracle workers at soothing flying jitters.

Now about the luggage. I have not truly "lost" my luggage. But I surely have had it misplaced. Twice on US Airways in July, both times on PHL connecting flights. The other time was America West, connecting with British Airways. The luggage was found and delivered intact within 48 hours. Not convenient. But not life threatening.

I fly AA about over 100,000 miles per year. AA has never "misplaced" my luggage. I feel they do a super job with luggage. That said, make sure your luggage is clearly marked outside and put your name and itinerary on the inside. Include either the cruiseline phone number or your cell phone, if you are going to an area when you can be contacted via cell. DO NOT put your home address on your bags. Too easy for thieves to look at those luggage tags and know you are not home.

Unless you are flying first or business, there is no place to hang a garment bag. It will have to go in the overhead bins. Try to fold it neatly in half and put it on top of your other carryon. If the plane is NOT full, try to find an open bin, lay your garment bag full length and then put your other carryon on top. This is not the ideal way to carry your garment bag, unless the plane is not full.

Enjoy your flights and RELAX!!!

Make sure your carry-on contains anything you absolutely need such as medications and of course valuables such as jewellery and cameras, etc. When they tag your bags at check-in -check the airport code, it can happen - that they put the wrong label on. e.g. FLL is Fort Lauderdale. If you're not sure, just smile and ask politely. And most important. Relax. Just think of the ship waiting for you at the port.

Archived