Train ride or ride bus to upgrade tour Kenai fjords

travgurl

Our itinerary plans for us to go on the train from Anchorage or leave earlier and upgrade riding a bus to Seward so we can take the boat tour of Kenai Fjords for the day before boarding the ship. We are going on a whale watch in Juneau and riding the ferry from Haines to Skagway, so we will be on boats in other areas. What are your thoughts concerning this decision? Thanks

Are YOU interested in seeing a glacier close up and multiple varied wildlife? With an overnight in Seward the transportation is totally separate, and not clear with your post?

Why would'nt both transits be an option either day? It is not an "upgrade" to ride the bus. Train is superior for scenery.

Is this a "package" tour? Frankly- book this completely independent and separate.

Be aware of the details of any Kenai Fjords boat tour- you need at least 6 hours on the water. I never consider or would recommend anything shorter.

This boat tour- has no comparison to any of the others you are taking.

Being on the water in Alaska, is endless, and really shows the beauty and vastness of Alaska. Flights really show this as well in an alternative manner. It is all unique and different even with repeat visits.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks Budget Queen for your reply. On Holland, you take the train to Seward from Anchorage around noon and then once you arrive we board the ship. They offer their upgrade to take a bus early in the morning so you can do the Kenai Fjords tour, then board the bus. That is what they call their upgrade. I think we will just stay on the train option from what you said about the scenery. Thanks!

I loved, loved, loved (did I say loved!!!) our Kenai Fjords tour and would do another many times over. There can be high seas, which we didn't experience, and had beautiful scenery; unfortunately we were late in the season and the whales (all 58 from Friday) had departed for Hawaii by our Monday tour. Birds should be nesting along the coast which will make another viewing opportunity.

The bus tour is also scenic - almost the same as what you will see from the train. The right side of the bus should be on the shore side where you might see some beluga whales at one of the coves.

Remember to pack in layers - its much easier to add/remove extra clothing. We've had rainy weather in the 60s in July and warm, sunny weather in the 70s in May and September.

Have a great time.

Judy

Thanks Budget Queen for your reply. On Holland, you take the train to Seward from Anchorage around noon and then once you arrive we board the ship. They offer their upgrade to take a bus early in the morning so you can do the Kenai Fjords tour, then board the bus. That is what they call their upgrade. I think we will just stay on the train option from what you said about the scenery. Thanks!

This is different from your first post, where it appeared you had an overnight in Seward?

You can book the train yourself- AND take the Kenai Fjords tour- embarkment day- EASY. Why are you involving HAL?

I loved, loved, loved (did I say loved!!!) our Kenai Fjords tour and would do another many times over. There can be high seas, which we didn't experience, and had beautiful scenery; unfortunately we were late in the season and the whales (all 58 from Friday) had departed for Hawaii by our Monday tour. Birds should be nesting along the coast which will make another viewing opportunity.

The bus tour is also scenic - almost the same as what you will see from the train. The right side of the bus should be on the shore side where you might see some beluga whales at one of the coves.

When was your trip? I'll speculate in Sept, Humpbacks migrate through November- so your claim of them all being gone simply is false. The nesting comment- this is, not the end of the season.

Have you done both the railroad and Seward Highway transit? Over half the trip is NOT the SAME, as you state. Belugas are also rare to see, not sure what "coves". Turnagain Arm- is pretty straight in and out due to the second highest tidal changes in the world.