Jones Act, saw whaaaat?

RCmommy

Puerto Rico has some special considerations. We sailed NOLA-San Juan on the Conquest.

Oh yeah, thanks.

I leave from Vancouver, BC and disembark in Whittier, Alaska. No Jones Act problem. Look for someone who knows what they are speaking about.

Vancouver to Whittier is not traveling from one US port to a different US port which is what the Jones Ace is about.

Oh yeah, thanks.

Vancouver to Whittier is not traveling from one US port to a different US port which is what the Jones Ace is about.

But going back to the OP, they stated that the Jones Act is effect from Vancouver to Seattle, that's not US to US either.

But going back to the OP, they stated that the Jones Act is effect from Vancouver to Seattle, that's not US to US either.

Princess ,Celebrity and NCL do it every year on repositioning cruises from or to Vancouver .

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Princess ,Celebrity and NCL do it every year on repositioning cruises from or to Vancouver .

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I'm well aware, I was just pointing out that the OP's PVP does not know what they are talking about. :)

But I was responding to a specific post by a person who was looking for "someone who knows what they are speaking about" regarding why the person has no issues with the Vancouver to Whittier route.

Many responses already pointed out that the OP got bogus information.

By any chance are you booked on the prior cruise from Hawaii? That would then violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act to add the Alaska cruise.

Very Interesting...

Edited by day-day

But I was responding to a specific post by a person who was looking for "someone who knows what they are speaking about" regarding why the person has no issues with the Vancouver to Whittier route.

Many responses already pointed out that the OP got bogus information.

Very Interesting...

Well, if it wasn't aimed at me, then maybe you should've quoted who you did aim it at ;)

As many others have already said, your PVP doesn't know what she is talking about. I am taking the Legend out of Seattle on 9-8-15, and it returns to Vancouver on 9-15-15. (I'd get a new PVP!:D)

And I will be taking the Legend on 9/15 and heading to Hawaii - so take good care of it for me! ;)

Another case in point - leaving from Vancouver BC and getting off in Hawaii, USA! I would talk to another Agent, they are confused!

OP stated that the computer would not allow it. Not surprising at all. I once booked a B2B cruise on board which was in violation of PVSA. After going to my room I realized the error. Went back to the onboard sales rep who told me "oh no it can't be in violation because the computer would have warned me". She then brought up the cruises again and guess what, it was now warning her. We had booked the first day and I guess it sometimes takes IT dept a little while to catch up:p

Like I said, I would get a new PVP or get a supervisor. Just to be clear, you cannot do both cruises because of the Jones Act. You can only do the May 16, 2016 8 day Alaska Cruise. You only have to pay for that cruise.

why wouldn't she be able to do both cruises if she wanted to?:confused:

Bill

[quote name='cruisexlife']Well, if it wasn't aimed at me, then maybe you should've quoted who you did aim it at ;)[/quote]

I did:confused: If you follow the string back to the post by deborahjo...

The Jones Act has to do with cargo. We in Puerto Rico know since (like Hawaii) this sometimes strangles our economy.

The [B]Merchant Marine Act of 1920[/B] (P.L. 66-261), also known as the [B]Jones Act[/B], is a United States federal statute that provides for the promotion and maintenance of the American merchant marine. Among other purposes, the law regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27 of the Jones Act, deals with cabotage (i.e., coastal shipping) and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents. The Act was introduced by Senator Wesley Jones.

Keep in mind that (to my knowledge) no cruise ship is either built nor registered in the US (Carnival registers in Panama).