Live from the Breakaway

Granny DI

Granny where did you play golf? My husband and sons would like to golf in June- did you book it through the cruiseline? So glad you're having a great time!

Booked through cruise line. Our first choice was Riddels Bay but Riddels Bay canceled. We replaced it with Belmont. Tomorrow is Turtle Bay. NCL no longer provides transportation but I arranged a mini van for the four of us. It was an outstanding day...the views from Belmont were amazing.

Edited by Granny DI

I posted something for you, it is under your org. message. Yes I did see Sponge Bob, see my posting / Have a Blessed trip, our son used the Splash club for children, He had so much fun there, you might give that a try for your grandson, they take good care of the children, while having lots of fun with them! That will give you a little free time for yourself:)

Thanks Dee, my grandson will be happy to hear that. Our cabins are on the same deck as Splash Academy, so if he goes, that will be convenient.

😊

Just came off the Breakaway on Sunday, You can go to the garden buffet and take out your breakfast back to your room,or sit by the pool too. Room service from 7:00am to 10:00 am is free for coffee and Danish, but if you order hot food their is charge of $7.95.Room service after 10:00am is a charge of $7.95. You can only take food from the buffet not from any other place. I asked to take out food from O'sheehan's they said no. On embarkation day we went to uptown grill, had the best giant hamburgers with fries. Not crowded with a great view. If you are still hungry, go down the stairs ,the buffet is right there, but it is very busy! They have great deserts and great selection of ice cream ,hard and soft kind! We found the food very good on the ship All the complimentary dining has good food. If you don't like something,leave it and pick out new item. You will find something you like. O'sheehan's has great wings ,fish and chips , chicken pot pie. Make sure you try Shanghai's Noodle Bar, great food,it's free and open for dinner! We like all the main dining rooms, Manhattan has a dance floor with music. They did serve Prime rib ,three times that week, But had other great choices too. We loved the lamb shanks the last night!! So tender!! I hope this was a help to you and others!!!

I am so happy to hear all this! We are leaving Sunday!!! Thank you so much for all the great info :)

Golf was great today. We played Turtle Bay which is at the Royal Princess Hotel. It is an 18 hole par 54. The course is beautiful and challenging. DH wouldn't play there is the past because he thought it wouldn't be challenging....It whipped him good!

We had heavy rain this morning but not a drop on the golf course. It is trying to rain again.

Bermuda is beautiful. We can't wait to sail here again next May.

We've eaten in Cagneys, Teppanaki, Moderno, Ocean Blue. Least favorite was Teppanaki. We're eating in the Haven tonight!

Spa is awesome!

Can you describe what you didn't like about Teppanyaki?

DH didn't like it last year and never wanted to go again. We went again this year because our friends wanted to do it as a group. Our "server" wasn't entertaining. The other tables were having great fun. I thought the food was just OK. DH hopes we don't go next year.

Edited by Granny DI

Golf was great today. We played Turtle Bay which is at the Royal Princess Hotel. It is an 18 hole par 54. The course is beautiful and challenging. DH wouldn't play there is the past because he thought it wouldn't be challenging....It whipped him good!

We had heavy rain this morning but not a drop on the golf course. It is trying to rain again.

Bermuda is beautiful. We can't wait to sail here again next May.

We've eaten in Cagneys, Teppanaki, Moderno, Ocean Blue. Least favorite was Teppanaki. We're eating in the Haven tonight!

Spa is awesome!

Correction ....we played at Turtle Hill Golf Club @ Fairmont Southampto(Princess). Last year we played Port Royal, Riddell's Bay and The Mid Ocean Club.

Are pre-made online reservations for shows being honored? I know the shows have all been first come, first served for the past few weeks (with a cancellation notice in the room for those who did pre-book)... but looking at the dailies from last week's cruise, it looks like there are reservations. What has been your experience?

Edited by layn133

Bangzoom6877 - do you have an email address for group events that you can share? I'm traveling with a party of 14 in August and would like to make dinner reservations as well.

Thanks ~ Jennfier

Can you describe what you didn't like about Teppanyaki?

I just got off the Breakaway last Sunday, also had the same experience,the cook was new and he did a really bad job, the food did not taste good and he seemed discouraged. The other tables were singing and were very entertaining. If you want to go to the Teppanyaki, I suggest you request an experienced cook, insist on it.

Are pre-made online reservations for shows being honored? I know the shows have all been first come, first served for the past few weeks (with a cancellation notice in the room for those who did pre-book)... but looking at the dailies from last week's cruise, it looks like there are reservations. What has been your experience?

We were on the ship last week, yes we had pre-booked reservations and they were honored.

We were on the ship last week, yes we had pre-booked reservations and they were honored.

Thanks! Since you are recently back can I bug you with another question... Did you use the public transportation system? If so was it overcrowded? I am mostly interested in the ferry to Hamilton. Ideally we would like to get in the first available after getting off ship when we get in so that we will have time to get to an excursion we privately booked with some extra time to explore. Did you find you had to wait for multiple ferries and the lines were outrageous? Were the buses overfilled? I am reading reviews that are discouraging so I would love to hear more!

Wait, so you can buy megs instead of minutes? If so, that is the way to do it. Never buy internet based on time. Unfortunately, I know most cruise lines still charge by time.

I believe the MG internet purchase is only on the BA and GA. I was on the Epic last April and it was based on time. :mad: I loved the MG on the BA, was able to upload files for work whole cruising.:D

Bangzoom6877 - do you have an email address for group events that you can share? I'm traveling with a party of 14 in August and would like to make dinner reservations as well.

Thanks ~ Jennfier

Hi! I emailed groupeventbreakaway@ncl.com

I received some replies from specialeventsbreakaway@ncl.com

Hope this helps! Enjoy! Cruising with a large group is always a lot of fun! :)

Thanks! Since you are recently back can I bug you with another question... Did you use the public transportation system? If so was it overcrowded? I am mostly interested in the ferry to Hamilton. Ideally we would like to get in the first available after getting off ship when we get in so that we will have time to get to an excursion we privately booked with some extra time to explore. Did you find you had to wait for multiple ferries and the lines were outrageous? Were the buses overfilled? I am reading reviews that are discouraging so I would love to hear more!

First of all, the Breakaway made no announcement what time you can get off the boat, when I asked,they said we don't announce that so all the people don't try to leave at one time. I believe we arrived around Bermuda 8:00am. Now first day we got off ship late , around 10:00am so we took a public bus to Horsebay, yes we had to wait for 2nd bus because first bus was filled,yes the bus was filled and some people stood. But take heart, about every 10 minutes a bus is coming. Now 2nd day we took ferry to Hamilton around 10:00am and it was also crowded ,but we did get on it. The ferry holds about 200+people. If you don't get a ferry, you can always ride the bus. Make sure you buy your tickets before you leave the customs building, they sell the tickets their,also a long line. Just go with the flow, and have a wonderful time:)

Last night at Sea. We had fireworks which were postponed last night because of high winds. I enjoyed them. Best view is front starboard side of the ship.

We went to the Wine the Musical today. We think it's a bargain if you drink wine. The portions were not small. Four whites, two reds and a glass of champagne. The lunch was salad, surf and turf, with cheese cake for desert. The cost is $25 pp.

I got a haircut this evening in the spa...one of the better ones I've ever had. I played the slots for awhile...came out even for the week which is great. I didn't think the smoke was bad in the area where I played...the smokers stick together in one area so you can avoid most of the smoke. Still have Meg's left on the Internet.

We've had a wonderful time and look forward to next year on the Breakaway.

BTW we met a couple on the golf course who weren't enjoying the Breakaway as much as the Summit. Quite surprising because we won't sail on the Summitt again as we have outgrown the MDR routine of other cruise lines especially the older ships like the Summitt.

Edited by Granny DI

First of all, the Breakaway made no announcement what time you can get off the boat, when I asked,they said we don't announce that so all the people don't try to leave at one time. I believe we arrived around Bermuda 8:00am. Now first day we got off ship late , around 10:00am so we took a public bus to Horsebay, yes we had to wait for 2nd bus because first bus was filled,yes the bus was filled and some people stood. But take heart, about every 10 minutes a bus is coming. Now 2nd day we took ferry to Hamilton around 10:00am and it was also crowded ,but we did get on it. The ferry holds about 200+people. If you don't get a ferry, you can always ride the bus. Make sure you buy your tickets before you leave the customs building, they sell the tickets their,also a long line. Just go with the flow, and have a wonderful time:)

I was on the may 3 Bermuda sailing. Yes, they do announce when you can leave the ship upon arrival to Bermuda and the time is listed in the Daily. We were delayed due on our disembarkation and the CD announced several times with updates.

Ferries were not a problem unless you were in the first mass group off the ship. We were delayed in disembarkation in Bermuda due to medical emergency so people were queued up to get off the ship. This doesn't normally happen and leaving the ship is usually much more low key than normal one day ports.

The bus system is shared with everyone the primary mode of transport for the local residents, including students and it will quickly filled up, as each bus can take about 50 to 60 people max. including standees. The ferries are more flexible and run in different sizes - depending on time of day & expected crowds waiting in line, last time we're there with 2 ships, they switched to the bigger ferries so just about everyone, 400 to 500 people waiting in long lines all got on - they did that for the run to Hamilton and to St. George.

If you are out late in the evening, check the operating hours & posted schedule to not miss the last ferry, and most importantly - the bus from downtown's central terminal (or don't take a chance with the last one or you will be in for a more "expensive" taxi ride back to the pier)